Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

ULEZ Checker

Comments

• Options
    There's also loads of bots on social media regarding the major international event currently ongoing, it's scary how effective they are in influencing people and stirring things up.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    And it turns out the air is already getting cleaner.
    Is that right? I thought TFL said we wont know for Outer London for 6 months or so?
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Crusty54 said:
    As I've said before - and Khan confirmed yesterday - the scheme is expected to stop raising money in 2026.

I'll leave this question with you. If Khan is reelected, how do you think he will fill the hole in his coffers in 2026?

I'll give you a clue. Pay per mile road pricing.
    The technology is nowhere near available at the moment. Device required in every vehicle including vehicles from outside London.
    Sorry but you couldn't be more wrong.

Road pricing is already in place in a number of countries. The technology is available and proven to work.

The ULEZ cameras are the final piece in the jigsaw as it enables vehicles to be identified .

ULEZ was always the trojan horse to enable TFL and Khan to introduce road pricing.

Laugh if you like but TfL have got a team that has been working on the introduction of road pricing for some time.
    I don’t understand what ULEZ cameras have to do with road pricing?
    RP won’t work until cars have chips enabling them to be tracked accurately. 
    Have nothing against road pricing by the way. Seems like the fairest system, rather than the current ‘one size fits all’ system which punishes low mileage drivers. 
    It's not a 'one size fits' all. There's different levels of road tax depending on what vehicle you have. Much easier for people to budget/have an expectation of cost when it's a flat fee (rather than road pricing).
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Is that right? I thought TFL said we wont know for Outer London for 6 months or so?
    Yes you're right. I read the bit where it is 'expected' to be cleaner by 2024, but the data isn't in yet.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    Yes you're right. I read the bit where it is 'expected' to be cleaner by 2024, but the data isn't in yet.
    I 'expected' us to beat Cray Valley PM.
  • Options
    cafc999 said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    I 'expected' us to beat Cray Valley PM.
    I expected people against it to not complain that the charge was too small.
  • Options
    There's also loads of bots on social media regarding the major international event currently ongoing, it's scary how effective they are in influencing people and stirring things up.

twitter is an echo chamber and people tend to only engage in posts that align with the views they already hold
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    I expect in 2024 that “there are still too many dirty cars using the zone” will be the reason cited why the air quality has not improved and so the daily fee has to go up. 
    You heard it here first. 

P.S. £637k spent on a cycle lane in Orpington that is under-used, and has a lamp post in the middle of it. 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Imagine our surprise. 🙂
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    clb74 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    ULEZ chatter on social media has dropped by more than 90% since the ULEZ expansion went live, apparently. Turns out much of that chatter may have been been created by thousands of Twitter bot accounts that were set up after Nov ‘22. Some Tufton St think tanks (known to be funded by oil companies) are involved in promoting climate change denial. Makes you think. 
    It’s also gone quiet because many people who thought they’d be affected actually aren’t. 

Disinformation campaign on social media about ULEZ a deliberate attempt at manipulation says Mayor

How do you know they've not been affected?
    Perhaps some of these people are like me.
    Can't be bothered to keep going on about ulez.
    Don't me We haven't been affected.
    I said many people, not all people. 
  • Options
    Soak up the air in his prized underground network.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    JamesSeed said:
    Crusty54 said:
    As I've said before - and Khan confirmed yesterday - the scheme is expected to stop raising money in 2026.

I'll leave this question with you. If Khan is reelected, how do you think he will fill the hole in his coffers in 2026?

The technology is nowhere near available at the moment. Device required in every vehicle including vehicles from outside London.

Road pricing is already in place in a number of countries. The technology is available and proven to work.

The ULEZ cameras are the final piece in the jigsaw as it enables vehicles to be identified .

ULEZ was always the trojan horse to enable TFL and Khan to introduce road pricing.

Laugh if you like but TfL have got a team that has been working on the introduction of road pricing for some time.
    Have nothing against road pricing by the way. Seems like the fairest system, rather than the current ‘one size fits all’ system which punishes low mileage drivers. 
    It's not a 'one size fits' all. There's different levels of road tax depending on what vehicle you have. Much easier for people to budget/have an expectation of cost when it's a flat fee (rather than road pricing).
    It’s a one size fits all in terms of mileage driven. The OAP who hardly ever uses his/her car pays the same as a diver doing 10k a year. Obviously if the OAP has an electric car then that won’t apply, but I didn’t think that needed pointing out tbh.
    I accept your point about budgeting, but if you ask a hard up OAP I suspect they rather pay less than know in advance that they’ll be paying more. 
    I guess the danger with paying per mile is the cost spiralling, like the tax on cigarettes and alcohol has. 
  • Options
    and it will make everything more expensive as it increases the costs of the all logistics
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Crusty54 said:

It’s a one size fits all in terms of mileage driven. The OAP who hardly ever uses his/her car pays the same as a diver doing 10k a year. Obviously if the OAP has an electric car then that won’t apply, but I didn’t think that needed pointing out tbh.
    I accept your point about budgeting, but if you ask a hard up OAP I suspect they rather pay less than know in advance that they’ll be paying more. 
    I guess the danger with paying per mile is the cost spiralling, like the tax on cigarettes and alcohol has. 

There is exactly what will happen, its already happening with the price of charging an EV. 
  • Options
    Carter said:
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Crusty54 said:

There is exactly what will happen, it’s already happening with the price of charging an EV. 
    Arguably the tax on fuel is a pay per mile. 
  • Options
    Does anyone else have Auto Pay setup on the ULEZ website?

If so, how long does it take to show on your account?

I drove to Abbey Wood on Thursday, went through traffic lights where I've seen online that the Cameras are guaranteed to be, but oddly haven't been charged anything as yet. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Crusty54 said:

I missed your reply, James. I admit I was slightly pedantic about the one size fits all and understood where you were coming from. But as you've said, once the fabric is in place it's there to abuse and we know the motorist is always the easy target. That's why I prefer the current car tax system. In fact the old system really, with flat rate, whatever car you drive. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Two men have been arrested over an explosion that damaged a Ulez camera in south-east London.

The blast happened in Sidcup on the evening of 6 December after a camera had been cut down shortly before.

The Met's Counter Terrorism Command arrested a 60-year-old man in Sidcup and a 61-year-old man in Horsham, West Sussex, earlier on Monday.

They were held on suspicion of conspiracy to cause an explosion likely to endanger life or property and remain in custody at a south London police station.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-67754598

• Options
    60 & 61!
  • Options
    60 & 61!
    Radicalised by the Daily Mail, Mike Graham and GB News apparently 😗
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    TelMc32 said:
    60 & 61!
    Radicalised by the Daily Mail, Mike Graham and GB News apparently 😗
    Probably a bit of TikTok when setting the timer on the device.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Of course the article is not talking about the impact of the latest expansion of ULEZ  rather its prior extent. 

It’s also ambiguous ( as I can’t find a link to the report) on whether the observed improvement is just within the boundary of the prior ULEZ zone or including outer London too? If the latter we may not see such a marginal gain from the latest expansion. 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Don’t forget all those Weapons of Mass Destruction that the Government told us weee in Iraq.