Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

ULEZ Checker

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2023
    Rothko said:
    Rothko said:
    The anti-ULEZers, have no concern for the poorest Londoners, who are affected by air pollution and have the worst health outcomes. 
    but i should be able to take my dogs for a walk once a week in my 4x4 :angry::angry::angry::angry:

Sounds like something Sadiq would do.... oh hold on a minute.
    wonder why the met thought he needed an armoured 4x4 issued, wonder what that could be 
    Go on, I'm all ears?
    far right terrorists.
    Lolz. I thought he cycled everywhere or is that just the last 100 yards for the photo opportunity?
    Tbf when I lived in Tooting I used to see him on the tube a fair bit.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:
    MrOneLung said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Rothko said:
    Rothko said:
    The anti-ULEZers, have no concern for the poorest Londoners, who are affected by air pollution and have the worst health outcomes. 
    but i should be able to take my dogs for a walk once a week in my 4x4 :angry::angry::angry::angry:

wonder why the met thought he needed an armoured 4x4 issued, wonder what that could be 
    Go on, I'm all ears?
    far right terrorists.
    Lolz. I thought he cycled everywhere or is that just the last 100 yards for the photo opportunity?
    That was Johnson. Although he did cycle from his home in Islington to Westminster. 
    Why are so many obsessed with how the Mayor gets around London? I know he used to take the tube, but I guess the Met aren’t allowing that because the death threats. 
    He’s a ‘conviction politician’, a refreshing change from the more commonly sighted ‘corrupt politician’. He may or may not be wrong about expanding ULEZ, but it’s hard to deny he’s doing it out of the conviction that’s it’s the right thing to do. He’s also aware that it could cost him his job. In an era where everything in politics is about winning, rather than doing the right thing…

Please hit the like button here ↙️
    or the lol button here ⤵️
    Thanks 👍
    khan could shit gold and find the cure for cancer and the same people would hate him "because there's something about him i don't like"

I wonder what that could be...
    ooh, I am gonna have a guess

Do people default hate him because he went to Eton ?
    Nah, it's because he's a lawyer. 
    I think now maybe it’s because he’s from Tooting, but had no idea people had a problem with some one for that! 
    Well you seem scared suddenly of elaborating on your original comment... I have no issue if he's from Tooting or wherever, because it has no relevance on the ULEZ or his job as Mayor of London.

But to say that people have issue with something about him, that they dont like... and refuse to elaborate... Well you cant complain when you're called a troll can you
    Sorry, was thrown by your “origins” comment, that you’ve refused to elaborate on - by your own admission the fact he’s from Tooting is irrelevant, so I’m not sure why you mentioned his “origins”? Care to elaborate and we can return to the discussion? 
    I just have elaborated...

I dont care if his Origins means he's from Tooting or somewhere else in the world... His ability to the job is what matters.

Now why don't you elaborate by your original comment, that you continue to evade... What is about him, that people might not like?
    I suppose my confusion lies in why on earth you would think my comment had something to do with the fact he’s from Tooting. Does anyone else?
  • Options
    cafcfan said:
    MrOneLung said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Rothko said:
    Rothko said:

Go on, I'm all ears?
    far right terrorists.
    That was Johnson. Although he did cycle from his home in Islington to Westminster. 
    Why are so many obsessed with how the Mayor gets around London? I know he used to take the tube, but I guess the Met aren’t allowing that because the death threats. 
    He’s a ‘conviction politician’, a refreshing change from the more commonly sighted ‘corrupt politician’. He may or may not be wrong about expanding ULEZ, but it’s hard to deny he’s doing it out of the conviction that’s it’s the right thing to do. He’s also aware that it could cost him his job. In an era where everything in politics is about winning, rather than doing the right thing…

Thanks 👍
    khan could shit gold and find the cure for cancer and the same people would hate him "because there's something about him i don't like"

I think now maybe it’s because he’s from Tooting, but had no idea people had a problem with some one for that! 
    Well you seem scared suddenly of elaborating on your original comment... I have no issue if he's from Tooting or wherever, because it has no relevance on the ULEZ or his job as Mayor of London.

But to say that people have issue with something about him, that they dont like... and refuse to elaborate... Well you cant complain when you're called a troll can you
    Sorry, was thrown by your “origins” comment, that you’ve refused to elaborate on - by your own admission the fact he’s from Tooting is irrelevant, so I’m not sure why you mentioned his “origins”? Care to elaborate and we can return to the discussion? 

I dont care if his Origins means he's from Tooting or somewhere else in the world... His ability to the job is what matters.

Now why don't you elaborate by your original comment, that you continue to evade... What is about him, that people might not like?
    I suppose my confusion lies in why on earth you would think my comment had something to do with the fact he’s from Tooting. Does anyone else?
    Getting dizzy here, with how you're evaded my request to elaborate on your original comment - Why are you so scared to do so?
  • Options
    It has - normally Plum, but Kent has form as well.
    Can you explain why you have mentioned me here?
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    No need to get all angsty, as it’s been a very reasonable discussion on here, I feel. 
    Nothing like Twitter where Khan’s account get mercilessly trolled in a very unpleasant way. Perhaps some are reading that stuff and making unfair assumptions about the people on here who don’t like ULEZ being similarly motivated.

I think if they’d had the mayoral elections taken place at any time over the last few months Khan might have lost, but he’ll stand a much better chance next year when people are more used to the ULEZ expansion. 
    However, now that the Tories have made mayoral elections FPTP, that opens the door a little for Susan Hall. Labour were successful around the country with the Supplementary Vote system, so it was always likely that the Tories would switch to a different one. With the ‘left’ vote being split (rumours that Corbyn might stand) it might be very close. 
    Hall says she would scrap the ULEZ expansion, but would meet her statutory requirement to cut air pollution by spending £50M. She says:
    ‘This could be making a bus route zero emission, setting up air filtration technology, or adjusting roads to reduce congestion and idling.’
    There’s something not very convincing about her imho. 
  • Options
    cafcfan said:
    MrOneLung said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Rothko said:
    Rothko said:

Go on, I'm all ears?
    far right terrorists.

Thanks 👍

Getting dizzy here, with how you're evaded my request to elaborate on your original comment - Why are you so scared to do so?
    What part of my original comment? The question I asked at the end? Why would I answer my own question? 

I’m interested to know why you inferred from it it was to the fact he’s from Tooting? Is that a thing?
  • Options
    cafcfan said:
    MrOneLung said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Rothko said:
    Rothko said:

Go on, I'm all ears?
    far right terrorists.

Thanks 👍

What part of my original comment? The question I asked at the end? Why would I answer my own question? 

I’m interested to know why you inferred from it it was to the fact he’s from Tooting? Is that a thing?
    Yeah people from Tooting, tend to blown their own horn a bit too much for my liking - Sorry its taken me so long to admit it.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    cafcfan said:
    MrOneLung said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Rothko said:
    Rothko said:

Go on, I'm all ears?
    far right terrorists.

Thanks 👍

Yeah people from Tooting, tend to blown their own horn a bit too much for my liking - Sorry its taken me so long to admit it.
    getting dizzy here from your evasion to asking to elaborate, can you respond without sarcasm? Or were you just trolling?
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    No need to get all angsty, as it’s been a very reasonable discussion on here, I feel. 
    Nothing like Twitter where Khan’s account get mercilessly trolled in a very unpleasant way. Perhaps some are reading that stuff and making unfair assumptions about the people on here who don’t like ULEZ being similarly motivated.

I think if they’d had the mayoral elections taken place at any time over the last few months Khan might have lost, but he’ll stand a much better chance next year when people are more used to the ULEZ expansion. 
    However, now that the Tories have made mayoral elections FPTP, that opens the door a little for Susan Hall. Labour were successful around the country with the Supplementary Vote system, so it was always likely that the Tories would switch to a different one. With the ‘left’ vote being split (rumours that Corbyn might stand) it might be very close. 
    Hall says she would scrap the ULEZ expansion, but would meet her statutory requirement to cut air pollution by spending £50M. She says:
    ‘This could be making a bus route zero emission, setting up air filtration technology, or adjusting roads to reduce congestion and idling.’
    There’s something not very convincing about her imho. 
    She's a clown and Londoners will see right through her like they did with Zac Goldsmith.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    JamesSeed said:

There’s something not very convincing about her imho
    Wacist
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2023
    cafcfan said:
    MrOneLung said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Rothko said:
    Rothko said:

Go on, I'm all ears?
    far right terrorists.

Thanks 👍

getting dizzy here from your evasion to asking to elaborate, can you respond without sarcasm? Or were you just trolling?
    Why... Because you're unable to read what I've already said - So I have elaborated, I have NO ISSUE based on where he is from regardless if its from Tooting or elsewhere, end of story.

I think this tiresome conversation has ran its course.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:
    MrOneLung said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Rothko said:
    Rothko said:

Go on, I'm all ears?
    far right terrorists.

Thanks 👍

Why... Because you're unable to read what I've already said - So I have elaborated, I have NO ISSUE based on where he is from regardless if its from Tooting or elsewhere, end of story.

I think this tiresome conversation has ran its course.
    Don't feed the troll FA
  • Options
    Here is somebody who lives about two minutes walk away from me talking about ULEZ, but not from the point of view of a vehicle owner, or a businesswoman using vehicles. Rosamund did not want to be the spokeswoman she has been propelled into becoming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgno2bnL2tY
  • Options
    Khan wont only be judged on ULEZ come the mayoral elections. Knife crime is a sad statistic that will also harm his chances of re-election.

But back to ULEZ - when will we see some stats on the number of cars that are non compliant today versus pre ULEZ ? My fear is that its going to be cash negative with the huge expense on infrastructure at a time when we can least afford it. I think the 9/10 cars claim thing may prove his undoing.
  • Options
    about time…
    The sad thing is... How many people genuinely pay attention to the Speed Limit now?

The best way to enforce this will be Speed Bumps, but some of those in the Bromley Borough (around Orpington) can cripple your car if you dont do 10mph over them.
    The amount of roadworks going on in the Orpington area is such that I can only dream of getting up to 20mph 
  • Options
    cafcfan said:
    MrOneLung said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Rothko said:
    Rothko said:

Go on, I'm all ears?
    far right terrorists.

Thanks 👍

watch out, you'll be accused of sealioning...
  • Options
    Still not sure why ULEZ is such a bad idea, since every excuse been thrown about simply boils down to being unable to drive your 4x4 around london.

Oh really? When are excuses reasons anyway? (Or vice versa)
    Maybe you're not too affected down in Kent.
    I didn't own a 4x4, but I have been forced to change my car for something I think the benefits of have been greatly exaggerated.
    It's such a bad idea because:
    1. The natural progression of vehicles being upgraded over time would have generated the same result
    2. It's punitive on those not as well off
    3. It's badly timed in an era of reduced new cars available
    4. 60% of respondants to the consultation said 'no'
    5. Instinct says it's a precursor to road-pricing
    6. The science on how much the problem of 1/9 non compliant vehicles is exaggerated
    7. A few London councils rejected the idea

Where the major and inner London councils in particular haven't helped in having cleaner air, is the gradual increase in road restrictions and movement. No right turns. No left turns. No entries. Roads blocked off. Ridiculous cycle lanes. And now an increase in 20mph zones. Just free the place up!
  • Options
    Still not sure why ULEZ is such a bad idea, since every excuse been thrown about simply boils down to being unable to drive your 4x4 around london.

I didn't own a 4x4, but I have been forced to change my car for something I think the benefits of have been greatly exaggerated.
    1. The natural progression of vehicles being upgraded over time would have generated the same result
    6. The science on how much the problem of 1/9 non compliant vehicles is exaggerated

Where the major and inner London councils in particular haven't helped in having cleaner air, is the gradual increase in road restrictions and movement. No right turns. No left turns. No entries. Roads blocked off. Ridiculous cycle lanes. And now an increase in 20mph zones. Just free the place up!
    To be fair I think the point is to make it harder to drive so people don't. And when they don't it's easier to get around, ie using a bike Lane rather than riding in the road
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

To be fair I think the point is to make it harder to drive so people don't. And when they don't it's easier to get around, ie using a bike Lane rather than riding in the road
    Agreed - I'm sure that is the aim, although I have heard some suggestions that this has been a deliberate ploy as it has increased the pollution and added weight to the argument for the ultra low emissions zone. We just cannot get away from the fact that the car is the most versatile and cost effective mode of transport.
  • Options

Both pretty much spot on imo. No lefts, no rights, roads blocked off (ltns) the point is to make it harder to use your car to force you onto a different mode of transport.
  • Options
    edited September 2023

UK car sales rise by a quarter as industry recovers from chip shortage

Registrations hit 74,400 in seventh successive month of growth, with electric cars accounting for 16.5%

(March 2023)

I haven’t heard any argument against ULEZ that imho outweighs the benefits. 

Road pricing will probably happen, with or without ULEZ. It won’t be controlled by cameras, but by a chip in your car. In some ways it’s fairer than the flat rate system that we have currently. No matter how much or how little you use your car you pay the same at the moment. 

• Options
    Communities that live in LTNs tend to quiet like them, less traffic, safer places for kids to play, no rat runs for Uber drivers using Waze. it's not some conspiracy to make the air worse. 
  • Options
    LTN’s can drive traffic elsewhere.
    What is needed is less traffic.
  • Options
    Khan wont only be judged on ULEZ come the mayoral elections. Knife crime is a sad statistic that will also harm his chances of re-election.

But back to ULEZ - when will we see some stats on the number of cars that are non compliant today versus pre ULEZ ? My fear is that its going to be cash negative with the huge expense on infrastructure at a time when we can least afford it. I think the 9/10 cars claim thing may prove his undoing.
    They claimed knife crime would cost him the last election, but as the MET had its funding cut by central government he won and was able to try and tackle pollution and child hunger.

• Options

They claimed knife crime would cost him the last election, but as the MET had its funding cut by central government he won and was able to try and tackle pollution and child hunger.

We are digressing but what I'm saying is both ULEZ and Knife Crime are sticks to beat him with at the time of the next mayoral election in all likelihood.

I am not sure he can turn around the 'perception' of ULEZ quickly enough.

But I ask again why no stats at this time ? The PR machine needs no doubt to interpret them in such a way it can be sold as a positive change but why the apparent delay when we know they would be available immediately if they chose to release them?
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Communities that live in LTNs tend to quiet like them, less traffic, safer places for kids to play, no rat runs for Uber drivers using Waze. it's not some conspiracy to make the air worse. 
    Maybe some do like turning their street into a cul de sac while still being able to drive down other people's streets. Only 75% of the Islington residents in this consultation weren't happy with its ltn continuing but did the council listen to the 75% negative or the 13% positive?

• Options

We are digressing but what I'm saying is both ULEZ and Knife Crime are sticks to beat him with at the time of the next mayoral election in all likelihood.

I am not sure he can turn around the 'perception' of ULEZ quickly enough.

But I ask again why no stats at this time ? The PR machine needs no doubt to interpret them in such a way it can be sold as a positive change but why the apparent delay when we know they would be available immediately if they chose to release them?
    There's a stat posted on this thread claiming most Londoners are for ULEZ. I don't know how many cars are now compliant. 
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Rothko said:
    Maybe some do like turning their street into a cul de sac while still being able to drive down other people's streets. Only 75% of the Islington residents in this consultation weren't happy with its ltn continuing but did the council listen to the 75% negative or the 13% positive?

or this actual stuff from Islington, instead of some weirdly redacted odd looking piece of paper 

https://www.islington.gov.uk/consultations/2022/highbury-people-friendly-streets-trial 

https://www.islington.gov.uk/consultations/2023/stmaryschurch