Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST MATCH THREAD : Charlton Athletic Vs Bristol Rovers : Tuesday 15th August 2023

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2023
    Woke up today and oddly still don’t care about the match which isn’t great. I’m frustrated once again at how easily teams find that space between our CB and FB/WB though. It’s epidemic, doesn’t seem to matter which players we have, we can’t defend that corridor. I’m also frustrated that we signed a keeper who had a very good run as first choice for Barnsley and we’re keeping him on the bench for AMB, who I’m just not convinced by. He’s obviously a good shot stopper, but the problem with only being a good shot stopper is you’re not going to be able to save everything, and when that’s not working for you what else have you got? His kicking, decision-making, control of his box and communication don’t seem to be very good. Isted might not have saved us against Newport but it’s bizarre to me off the back of a ropey end to the season it’s still AMB in goal. 

I wonder if maybe Holden has a little too much love for pushing academy graduates into the first team. Asiimwe has pushed out Egbo, Chin got in ahead of him the other day, Ness is straight back in, Anderson is already being a bit overplayed, he obviously likes Campbell and is happy to bring on Kanu whenever he can. I like seeing the youth players too but I feel like it’s a thing for Holden and it might start to work against him soon 
    I don't think it's a thing. It's that he has no  good alternatives. If he had had Leaburn, Fraser, Taylor and Hector all available and 100% fit, and not worried about whether Camara and Edun could last 90 minutes, his team would have looked very different and the new youngsters could be on the bench and bring valuable energy while feeling less pressure. (Mind you, Leaburn is himself still a "kid", we forget that)
  • Options
    _MrDick said:
    And that, my Charlton Life friends, is why I haven’t committed to a season ticket this year. I went to the game but on that performance, we’re not good enough to compete. That performance had mid table mediocrity written all over it. If we continue to play like that, I’m bailing out mid season. Poor … 
    I had the below typed out this morning but didn't post it. But it was still lingering in the "leave comment" box when I cam back to this whilst having a mid morning break. 

Now I remember why I didn't buy a season ticket.  No joy, just pain after pain. 
  • Options
    Woke up today and oddly still don’t care about the match which isn’t great. I’m frustrated once again at how easily teams find that space between our CB and FB/WB though. It’s epidemic, doesn’t seem to matter which players we have, we can’t defend that corridor. I’m also frustrated that we signed a keeper who had a very good run as first choice for Barnsley and we’re keeping him on the bench for AMB, who I’m just not convinced by. He’s obviously a good shot stopper, but the problem with only being a good shot stopper is you’re not going to be able to save everything, and when that’s not working for you what else have you got? His kicking, decision-making, control of his box and communication don’t seem to be very good. Isted might not have saved us against Newport but it’s bizarre to me off the back of a ropey end to the season it’s still AMB in goal. 

I wonder if maybe Holden has a little too much love for pushing academy graduates into the first team. Asiimwe has pushed out Egbo, Chin got in ahead of him the other day, Ness is straight back in, Anderson is already being a bit overplayed, he obviously likes Campbell and is happy to bring on Kanu whenever he can. I like seeing the youth players too but I feel like it’s a thing for Holden and it might start to work against him soon 
    Isted didn't impress me much during pre season, and didn't do anything at Newport to "demand the gloves".
    Neither did AMB though, the difference is one looked quality in the second half of last season and one looked increasingly out of his depth. I feel like Ash has picked up where he left off this season
  • Options
    Aaron Collins has everything we need
    He didn’t do much in the first half when I could see him (from the Covered End). Second half he was too far away to make a judgement. 
    I think I might need to sit nearer the half way line next year 🙁
  • Options
    We look like a team that tried hard and does everything quite nicely apart from score and preventing the opposition from scoring.

Not a good sign. 
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    g the team through games like last night especially defensively. Hector has a lot of games under his belt but from the little I've seen doesn't show true leadership.
    Not recently he doesn’t. If anything he’ll improve with games. He looks good on the ball, but has been giving the ball away regularly, which is why he isn’t starting. 
  • Options
    PWR but from what (admittedly little) I’ve seen we are nowhere near playoff material.

The last time we reached the playoffs we had a spinal core of Pearce, Bauer, Sarr, Beilik, Cullen, Aribo, Taylor and (for part of season) Grant.

This year we have Dobson.

Sure but some of those players came in near the transfer deadline and we haven't got there yet. I think the next lot of recruits need be similar quality to 2019 to give us a decent chance of play-offs.
    6 of those were with us for the opening fixture. 5 started and 1 on bench.
    Bielik Joined us and started the 3rd match of the season but Cullen did join late August before deadline day.

There may be those such as Leaburn, May, Camara, Ness and Anderson that go on to be comparable to those from 2018. 
    But if we are going for playoffs, they need to all be as effective now as those were then and I don’t see that happening, or as you say, recruitment (loan or permanent) will need to be a stark improvement on what the last few years have been.

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Aaron Collins has everything we need
    He didn’t do much in the first half when I could see him (from the Covered End). Second half he was too far away to make a judgement. 
    I think I might need to sit nearer the half way line next year 🙁
    He was very good in the second half. Too often Asiimwe was left one on one with him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    WHY is Hector not fit though?   He was fit enough to play lots at the end of last season for us and we appear to have allowed himself to get unfit in our contract talks stand off!

Ridiculously bad management.   We should have insisted he trained and trained HARD whilst negotiating his deal with us.

He was probably everybody's number 1 choice for centre half during pre season and now he appears to be number 3 or 4 at best with our manager!
  • Options
    edited August 2023
  • Options
    Think I’ve found an upgrade. 
    These squeak!

25 Pcs Rubber Pig Bath Toys,Squeaky Pig Mini Pig Toys Bathtub Toys Float Squeak Toys for Baby Shower Beach Pool Swimming Toy Gift for Baby,Girls (4.7 x 3cm) https://amzn.eu/d/frkf6lW
  • Options
    Bunch of gasholes.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Nah, it's all made up mate. Not like someone bangs on about it week after week 😃.

And you should see the stats pre Feb 2022. About the same I think. Probably now 1 in 80.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    I watched on the stream, as usual. At half time Scott Minto asked for questions on Whats App. So I sent in this one:

Re the injuries. It seems like the last 4 years they have been crippling; but we fans dont really know how they compare with other clubs of our size. Do the guys know more about whether we are worse than other bigger L1 clubs? And if so what might be the main reasons?

Never got read out. Yet how many times did Curbs say "because of all the injuries..." ? And how many times have we heard him say that, ever since Charlton TV started up? Talk about the elephant in the effing room.

I get that Curbs in particular has always been a diplomat, but actually I gave them an out ball, we have often asked ourselves on here whether other clubs at this level have the same problems and we just don't know that. But swerving it makes me think they know damn well its bad but feel unable to say so. Bloody stupid PR approach, IMO, not least because Methven has privately acknowledged the problem , and not just to me (I just checked with someone who also has access to him).

The only way to improve on the situation is to invest. In staff, the department(s) and players with a certain resiliance, quality and record. I presume that those "in the know" realise that this is not in the pipeline, so choose not to talk about it and alienate themselves in the process. Shame, big shame. 
    Curbs was asked about this by Minto. He said that there will be a ceiling for squad cost, wages etc and we may be very close, thus resulting in players needing to be moved on before new faces can come in. He also mentioned at times having to play the poker game with other clubs, having to wheel and deal to get players in or out. He said the issue for people like Kirk is that his wage is way too high for anyone to think of taking a punt on him, so Charlton would need to fund half his salary at least to push that deal through. The though of paying to get rid of players is sickening but a reality of having such poor stock value without the squad.

Can Holden get more out of THIS team available, I think not. Could another manager? Not convinced. 
  • Options
    I can’t be bothered, I just cannot be arsed.  Already port vale now feels like a must win and it’s f*ckin august.  
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    I can forgive the lack of tracking back by Asiimwe and Dobson for the winner as they were our men of the match and had run themselves into the ground by then. 

But the defending of the free kick was woeful - poor foul to give away by Payne, terrible wall, terrible / no follow-up. 

We really are our own worst enemies sometimes.

Now back to the Lionesses! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I sound like a broken record and maybe I am looing at it through too much rose-tinted glasses, but I think there are promising signs, but the squad is thread bare and needs at least 4 in ASAP.

Payne is not good enough said it after Posh I would rather Kanu start with Payne on the bench, Kanu offered more and at least occupied a defender.

Think Karoy and Nathan are great prospects but can see don’t want to rely on them as starters all the time just yet. Need another RWB and CM who are better than what we have and let them come on or start the odd game and learn. I think they both have big futures though and they are well down the list of issues we have in the squad to sort.

We also obviously need another forward who can hold the ball up and link up play. Poor Alfie must be so annoyed he needs help from someone to do that to allow him to play of the shoulder. He is showing good signs and think with someone up with him the goals will come.

Would like another CB as well. Been impressed with Jones and have a fully fit Hector to come back but not a big fan of Thomas and Ness is still learning.

Egbo going out is good as it is one of the ones I wanted out if Payne, Kirk, DJ and McGrandels can follow soon that would be best for all.

The next few weeks are massive now for our season – Get it right I can still see as up there challenge and like the 2018/19 team get better as the season goes on. 
    Your optimism is not infectious. 
  • Options
    Continual cock ups at the back( though many keep saying they’re only human) that’s been going on under Adkins, Jackson, Garner and now Holden and even though we’re continually told it’s being worked on, there’s little evidence to support that and at present can’t score more than one goal due to injuries and no other strikers available bar Kanu, who might come good.
  • Options
    I do wonder about the quality of our coaching staff at times. No excuse for poorly executed and defended set plays. These can and should be practised. May attempted a Solly March style conversion with his effort from outside the box. What a waste, and they managed to score from theirs 🙄
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    801912601 said:
    Can’t knock the effort of the players, they clearly are trying their best and the only luck we seem to get is bad luck. Having said that you can improve your chances of good luck by taking decent corners and free kicks - ours are awful.
    If we had Rak Saki playing on Saturday and last night we wouldn’t have lost either.
    That is so true. Swear our club is cursed. 
  • Options
    Nah, it's all made up mate. Not like someone bangs on about it week after week 😃.

And you should see the stats pre Feb 2022. About the same I think. Probably now 1 in 80.
    Na I know, I'd say your concerns are justified most of the time. Stats like that are concerning,

I know in the Jacko season I left a number of games early when we went down as I knew we weren't coming back. Bit bad by me but just saw it as a nothing season. 

It's definitely become club culture now. Need players with backbone and experience. Feel like any team with a bit of physicality and experience will trouble us.

At least we are in the charts for xG though, I'm sure Bolton, Peterborough and Stevenage are gutted