Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

George Shipley?

A recent team photo of a time gone by that came up on Twatter included, George Shipley.

I remember him as being a good player but never seems to get much of a mention in dispatches.

Unsung Hero?

Comments

• A recent team photo of a time gone by that came up on Twatter included, George Shipley.

I remember him as being a good player but never seems to get much of a mention in dispatches.

Unsung Hero?
    Very much an integral part of the 85/86 promotion team.
  • Am I correct in saying he used to live in Gypsy Road?  On the boundary line of Welling and Bexleyheath (the house was between Sutcliffe and Elsa) as everyone used to bang on about it when I was at primary school at Brampton back in the early/mid 80s.
  • Both Shipley and Andy Peake were underrated in my opinion

Very consistent - no stand out games come to mind, but also can't remember any really poor performances either.

• edited May 2023
    Joined the police…..I ‘think’ it was Lincolnshire Constabulary.
    Mistake by me…..that was Andy Peake! 🫤
  • Good player - liked him - he was in the Charlton end Wembley 2019 as well, so has affection for us, despite being an NUFC fan
  • JohnBoyUK said:
    Am I correct in saying he used to live in Gypsy Road?  On the boundary line of Welling and Bexleyheath (the house was between Sutcliffe and Elsa) as everyone used to bang on about it when I was at primary school at Brampton back in the early/mid 80s.
    Correct, we used to live in Sutcliffe Road and got invited to a promotion party at George’s house as a mate of mine lived opposite him and knew him.

Great party with all the first team there as well as friends, family and neighbours 
  • Good player - liked him - he was in the Charlton end Wembley 2019 as well, so has affection for us, despite being an NUFC fan
    Also remember standing next to him on the away terrace at Plough Lane in the late 80's
  • George Shipley came to us from Lincoln City along with Steve Thompson before the start of 1985/1986 season. The last match both had played in was at Bradford City 11th May 1985 that was the day that 56 people lost they life in The Valley Parade fire Bradford.

Both very good players and trust me if we had the likes of these players in our squad today football would be better for it.
    Ah, he came from Lincoln, knew Thompson did but not Shipley. How astute Mr Lawrence was.
  • Sponsored links:

• Shipley was a decent player
  • Great player, definitely underrated.
  • Good honest player who we could have done with this season. Might be a bit old though?
  • edited May 2023
    Very good player, I remember he lived in Welling - we overtook him a couple of times on the South Circ going to games at Sellout, doing the famous 20 minute journey from The Valley.
  • George Shipley came to us from Lincoln City along with Steve Thompson before the start of 1985/1986 season. The last match both had played in was at Bradford City 11th May 1985 that was the day that 56 people lost they life in The Valley Parade fire Bradford.

Both very good players and trust me if we had the likes of these players in our squad today football would be better for it.
    Ah, he came from Lincoln, knew Thompson did but not Shipley. How astute Mr Lawrence was.
    Lennie managed at Lincoln so knew both players well.
  • Ship ship shiperely !!  
  • Hard working player. Played to his limitations and was a bit like Andy Hughes, albeit with a better eye for goal. 
  • Pretty sure he scored in my first ever visit to the scum , in our promotion year 2-2 March 1986 , at the filthy flee pit the den then back at shithurst park just over 2 weeks later we went 0-3 down think it was first half and pulled it back to 3-3 . Loads of scum in the home part of the half awake stand .
    good memories and just being near that pond life a lifelong hatred of them began , cnuts 

Shipley was industrious and decent but think top flight was a step too far for him . Good tash as well I think 
  • Pretty sure he scored in my first ever visit to the scum , in our promotion year 2-2 March 1986 , at the filthy flee pit the den then back at shithurst park just over 2 weeks later we went 0-3 down think it was first half and pulled it back to 3-3 . Loads of scum in the home part of the half awake stand .
    good memories and just being near that pond life a lifelong hatred of them began , cnuts 

Shipley was industrious and decent but think top flight was a step too far for him . Good tash as well I think 
    Great tash!
  • Ship ship shiperely !!  
    Not to be confused with the other Ship, we did have someone called Shipperley playing for us, 60/70s, can’t remember his first name?
  • Sponsored links:

• Ship ship shiperely !!  
    Not to be confused with the other Ship, we did have someone called Shipperley playing for us, 60/70s, can’t remember his first name?
    David Shipperley father of Neil.
  • Ship ship shiperely !!  
    That’s the one, thanks.

Did he become a copper?
  • Ship ship shiperely !!  
    That’s the one, thanks.

Did he become a copper?
    Yes he did.
  • edited May 2023
    Ship ship shiperely !!  
    Shows I’m getting old. Dave came into my head immediately; Neil would have been a struggle.
  • Shipley was a good solid player. Andy Peake - not so much. Peakey tried hard but was never quite at the races in games.
  • Very good player, I remember he lived in Welling - we overtook him a couple of times on the South Circ going to games at Sellout, doing the famous 20 minute journey from The Valley.
    20 minutes to Blackheath Village on a Saturday afternoon (or week day evening) more like it.
  • Shipley was a good solid player. Andy Peake - not so much. Peakey tried hard but was never quite at the races in games.
    Were you present for the Peaky Rocket in the 4-4 at Ipswich?
  • iaitch said:
    Shipley was a good solid player. Andy Peake - not so much. Peakey tried hard but was never quite at the races in games.
    The one and only Peaky Rocket (apart from those he scored for Leicester)?

A good solid player...
  • iaitch said:
    Shipley was a good solid player. Andy Peake - not so much. Peakey tried hard but was never quite at the races in games.
    In was there, although as we were losing and it was nearly half time i had gone for a piss and missed it.

Gutted!
  • edited May 2023
    Good player - liked him - he was in the Charlton end Wembley 2019 as well, so has affection for us, despite being an NUFC fan
    He's Toon Army? Well, he could hardly sit with the Mackems then!  :)