Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

George Shipley?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Ship ship shiperely !!  
    Not to be confused with the other Ship, we did have someone called Shipperley playing for us, 60/70s, can’t remember his first name?
    Ship, Ship, Shipperley. Ship, Ship, Shipperley! Giant of a centre half for those days.
    Dave Shipperley went to Gillingham, I think. 
  • Options
    George Shipley came to us from Lincoln City along with Steve Thompson before the start of 1985/1986 season. The last match both had played in was at Bradford City 11th May 1985 that was the day that 56 people lost they life in The Valley Parade fire Bradford.

Both very good players and trust me if we had the likes of these players in our squad today football would be better for it.
    Was he at Lincoln with fashanu who went to Millwall in the mid 80s? 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    As already pointed out, mainstay of the 1985-86 promotion side and played a good number of games the next season in the old First Division (top tier).

I remember the Boxing Day New Years Day game at Sh*thurst when we thrashed Manchester City 5-0 (yes, we did!) and remember George Shipley scoring.

EDIT: Not only found the team:
    Charlton Bolder, Humphrey, Reid, Shipley, Peake, Shirtliff, Stuart, Curbishley, Melrose, Aizlewood, Walsh – sub Pearson(70)

But also the match highlights & goals on video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5UYM2jWuo4&ab_channel=DavidConcannon

Great stuff, thanks for sharing. I remember it well. Hard to believe it was getting on for 40 years ago.

Walshies first goal was a cracker.
  • Options
    What shirt number did Shipley wear, 8?
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Oggy Red said:
    As already pointed out, mainstay of the 1985-86 promotion side and played a good number of games the next season in the old First Division (top tier).

I remember the Boxing Day New Years Day game at Sh*thurst when we thrashed Manchester City 5-0 (yes, we did!) and remember George Shipley scoring.

EDIT: Not only found the team:
    Charlton Bolder, Humphrey, Reid, Shipley, Peake, Shirtliff, Stuart, Curbishley, Melrose, Aizlewood, Walsh – sub Pearson(70)

But also the match highlights & goals on video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5UYM2jWuo4&ab_channel=DavidConcannon

Great stuff, thanks for sharing. I remember it well. Hard to believe it was getting on for 40 years ago.

Walshies first goal was a cracker.
    I was there and remember it well, aged 13. My mum and dad came, the only time I remember us all going to a game together. Straight to My Nan and Grandads after for Roast Dinner...

37 years ago. From then to now is the same as between 1949 and then...

If Charlton Life had been available in 1986 I wonder if we'd have remembered good old Tommy Lumley. 
  • Options
    Never seen that before, absolutely brilliant.
  • Options
    What shirt number did Shipley wear, 8?
    No.4
  • Options
    Believe Steve Thompson was doing 
    the commentary on Lincoln  Matchday TV 
    Still well thought off in those parts
  • Options
    Believe Steve Thompson was doing 
    the commentary on Lincoln  Matchday TV 
    Still well thought off in those parts
    Correct.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The 5-0 win over City in 86 wasn’t Boxing Day or New Year’s Day. Was in between the 2. 
    Great game. Walsh was on fire that day.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    The 5-0 win over City in 86 wasn’t Boxing Day or New Year’s Day. Was in between the 2. 
    Sunday game as well?
  • Options
    Sunday game as well?
    Yes, correct 
  • Options
    George Shipley came to us from Lincoln City along with Steve Thompson before the start of 1985/1986 season. The last match both had played in was at Bradford City 11th May 1985 that was the day that 56 people lost they life in The Valley Parade fire Bradford.

Both very good players and trust me if we had the likes of these players in our squad today football would be better for it.
    Was he at Lincoln with fashanu who went to Millwall in the mid 80s? 
    He was. Loved Shipley at Lincoln.
  • Options
    was that when ManCity were shit.

Now just a plastic club with a manager I can not understand.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    was that when ManCity were shit.

Now just a plastic club with a manager I can not understand.
    Football is all about money now.

I feel sorry for who becomes the next City manager, Guardiola is a genius, the football is a joy to watch.