Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Name the game, opposition and old player

Found in the museum's huge pile of unsorted photos 

Who are the away side and when is it?

Early 70s we think but not sure

Comments

• And who is this?

• The number nine looks like Dick Plumb which would mean 1970 to 1972. Given the state of the pitch I would say it is late on in the season, so 1971 or 1972. 
  • Does it not say on the back?
    If only we'd thought of that!

No, it doesn't but on twitter people have ID it as Carlisle 
  • I would guess that the fourth player of ours in the distance is Phil Warman in what was a particularly hairy period of his. Assuming it was Carlisle then the game was played on 22nd January 1972 and the result was 1-1
  • Definitely Carlisle and from their and our players it has to be 22 Jan 72

Thanks for all the help

Now for the other pic

• Definitely Carlisle and from their and our players it has to be 22 Jan 72

Thanks for all the help

Now for the other pic

Great team, my early Charlton following team, I started in 69.

Dietmar Bruck was featured in the opening credits of Match of The Day  for a season, sadly as a Coventry player. John Dunn was the player who introduced me to shithousery! 

Tracy, Flannagan, Went, Shipperley that team warms the cockles of my heart!
  • I think their goalscorer was the great Stan Bowles, later a huge star at QPR, but I remember being impressed with him at that game.
  • I was at that game - relegation season crowd just over 8k and to think just 3 yrs earlier we we played in front of average home crowds of 18k and had 3 home crowds of over 30k

• Sponsored links:

• Great team and they got relegated  :D
  • I would guess that the fourth player of ours in the distance is Phil Warman in what was a particularly hairy period of his. Assuming it was Carlisle then the game was played on 22nd January 1972 and the result was 1-1
    Eamonn Rogers in the background.
  • And who is this?

Harold Phipps ?
  • And who is this?

Harold Phipps ?
    That’s agood call. Harold Phillips FA Cup winner in 1947. Seated in front of Jimmy Trotter. 
  • Brilliant positioning from the Ref in that photo. He wouldn't have needed VAR!

Having seen the teams that would be seem to be correct given the player is not on the left side.  

The one stand out thing for me is not just each side had only one sub but neither team used one. Yes I appreciate the arguments that the game is more physical from an athletic and stamina perspective (but perhaps not from the view of the challenges that were allowed then and aren't now) but when was the last time anyone went to a game where there were no subs? If we take that argument to the nth degree then, presumably, one day ten subs will be allowed? 
  • edited May 2023
    Found in the museum's huge pile of unsorted photos 

Who are the away side and when is it?

Early 70s we think but not sure
    Going a little off topic on this but that photo sort of reminds me of how the shirt colours in those years always seemed to be much richer than their modern equivalents. Obviously you can’t go by the photograph’s colouring itself but it does give a reasonable reflection of how football shirts actually were a deep and rich red, or blue, or white etc on cotton, at least at the start of the season. Today’s versions look totally uninspiring. For obvious reasons probably the 68/69 kit is my all time favourite.
  • And who is this?

Harold Phipps ?
    That’s agood call. Harold Phillips FA Cup winner in 1947. Seated in front of Jimmy Trotter. 
    Phipps was a tough centre half. 
    Surprised to see Gordon Hurst with hair. 

• Sponsored links:

• Phipps or Charley Vaughan?
  • The tower block is being constructed in this photo.
  • The big question is did the cross clear the first man ?
    WBA perhaps.
  • Off topic, but in about 1993 I was playing for quite a good Sunday League team in the North Kent Sunday League - we had a top of the table clash against a team called White Post, which had a number of non-league players, incl Gary Aldous who managed Gravesend & Northfleet - we won 3-2 - I was playing centre mid first half, went to my normal position of centre forward 2nd half

I only found out earlier this year that Phil Warman was playing for White Post that day - I played against a Charlton legend, and didn’t even know 😂

I was a rather aggressive player, who liked a strong tackle, so maybe I upended him a few times !!!
  • great to see the forerunner for goal-line technology
  • Phipps or Charley Vaughan?
    Definitely Harold Phipps
  • Surely that’s a bus ticket roll lifted from a conductors stash located in the luggage cubby hole near the back of the bus ? They were always the best to throw from near the back of the covered end, allegedly, as one could get more distance. Obviously not necessarily something that would have been known by those in the museum as they probably would have been more used to the single ticket system of their younger days which the conductors would have clipped.

Having seen the teams that would be seem to be correct given the player is not on the left side.  

The one stand out thing for me is not just each side had only one sub but neither team used one. Yes I appreciate the arguments that the game is more physical from an athletic and stamina perspective (but perhaps not from the view of the challenges that were allowed then and aren't now) but when was the last time anyone went to a game where there were no subs? If we take that argument to the nth degree then, presumably, one day ten subs will be allowed? 
    I think back then a sub could only be used to replace an injured player, of course nothing to stop a player feigning injury but I think by & large clubs stuck to the rules & football was a world away from what we see these days, (sadly)