Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Petition to prevent permanent closure of Brixton Academy

Comments

• Signed.
  • Sorted .

• Signed a while back. Seen some of my favourite gigs there & never had an issue (except getting served at the bar sometimes.  Management operation might well need reviewing, but the Met are taking the proverbial by just wanting a complete shutdown. 
  • I've signed it, the place is the best venue in London and it isn't even close. Had some amazing nights there, I actually think security mostly get it spot on there. 
  • Used to knock about with Stuart, he lived down Pound Park Road.

He's on ITV London News tonight apparently
  • Sponsored links:

• Done. Keep music live!
  • Off_it said:
    Something about that whole episode just doesn't stack up to me.

I've been to loads of gigs there and just can't see how enough of a crush could build up inside the front doors for people to be killed. If it was down the front at the bottom of the slope by the stage then I could see how that could happen, but not inside the front doors.

What a terrible and tragic event it was. But the venue has been there for decades and, as far as I know, hasn't had similar problems in years gone by. Sounds like greedy security staff taking back-handers was the problem on the night. That ain't the buildings fault. 
    Exactly- just like the euros final, scum without tickets trying to get in. 

Don’t see Wembley having its license revoked 
  • Is it just the Academy being shut down? Why would this not be an issue for the Forum? Doesn't make any sense. 
  • Signed. 
    Saw Run DMC & the Beastie Boys there back in the day. 
  • I think there were about 53,000 signatures yesterday when I started this thread.
    It's up to 75,000 now.
    Please feel free to share link as widely as possible.
    It's the best venue in my opinion and will be disgraceful if it isn't reopened.
  • Sponsored links:

• Signed and shared
  • edited May 2023
    signed as I think it is a great venue but the management of events needs to be improved. 

• 83,000 now.
  • I thought I'd bump this for people to sign & share if they missed it first time.
    110,000 signatures now.
  • Signed 
  • Off_it said:

I've been to loads of gigs there and just can't see how enough of a crush could build up inside the front doors for people to be killed. If it was down the front at the bottom of the slope by the stage then I could see how that could happen, but not inside the front doors.

What a terrible and tragic event it was. But the venue has been there for decades and, as far as I know, hasn't had similar problems in years gone by. Sounds like greedy security staff taking back-handers was the problem on the night. That ain't the buildings fault. 
    Certain acts attract a certain type of punter I’m afraid. Those kinds of acts rarely play the Academy. 
  • edited May 2023
    buckshee said:
    Off_it said:

Certain acts attract a certain type of punter I’m afraid. Those kinds of acts rarely play the Academy. 
    True. And to be fair I was there to see Acker Bilk. Was mental.
  • It seems it's the resellers that are the issue here - not the venue per se 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZNUYP9ZpiQ

So many good times back in the day.

Signed.

• I can't fathom how someone can allegedly resell their ticket numerous times.
    Plus if it had happened at the Royal Albert Hall, I bet the police wouldn't be trying to close the RAH permanently.