Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

2030 World Cup - 100 years of the World Cup

The host nation(s) won’t be chosen until 2024 but here’s an early look at some of the confirmed bids…

- Morocco
- Uruguay + Argentina + Paraguay + Chile
- Egypt + Greece + Saudi Arabia
- Spain + Portugal + Ukraine

There is still a possibility of Algeria, Tunisia joining Morocco to form a joint North African bid as it's now unlikely that Morocco joins the Spain/Portugal bid.

Other possibles are Australia + New Zealand (+ Indonesia?) or South Korea + Japan (+ China + North Korea?)

Comments

• Was reading about this last night. Some very peculiar combinations.

I think that’s going to become the norm in future though, especially when we move to 48 country tournaments. 

Having 2/3 host countries can potentially be used as a way of satisfying multiple continental bodies as well.

But in turn it does dilute the feeling that comes from having a tournament hosted in a single country.
  • cafctom said:
    Was reading about this last night. Some very peculiar combinations.

I think that’s going to become the norm in future though, especially when we move to 48 country tournaments. 

Having 2/3 host countries can potentially be used as a way of satisfying multiple continental bodies as well.

But in turn it does dilute the feeling that comes from having a tournament hosted in a single country.
    I think it's worse for supporters there - on TV you half forget where some of the games are etc.

If the tournament is split, like 2002 was for example, I think before the final it almost feels like two World Cups for the fans there - there are certain teams you won't get a chance to watch, or meet the fans of etc.
  • cafctom said:

I think it's worse for supporters there - on TV you half forget where some of the games are etc.

If the tournament is split, like 2002 was for example, I think before the final it almost feels like two World Cups for the fans there - there are certain teams you won't get a chance to watch, or meet the fans of etc.
    I would imagine that the 2026 tournament is going to be exactly that.

The sixteen venues are already split into West (5), Central (6) and East (5) regions so I'm fully anticipating the sixteen groups (and resulting 16 knockout ties) to be split into those regions too. It would minimize travel and fatigue for players and fans.
  • Ah yes, that Ukraine right next to Iberia 
    Given the other combined bids, people were expecting a third country to join the Spain/Portugal bid. Lots had assumed it was Morocco since they are so close geographically while sitting on opposing continents.

Ukraine makes very little sense. It's either a publicly stunt or a pity inclusion. Either way, I'm not sure it helps the Spain/Portugal bid in any way.

At the moment, I'm almost hoping the South American bid wins by default.
  • Egypt + Greece + Saudi Arabia is perhaps the most nonsensical combination of countries I think I've seen.
  • edited October 2022
    cafctom said:

Two countries I think can be managed if they are closely linked and there are cultural crossovers. Iberia is one that works well.

But again there are obviously political reasonings going into why you’ve got random countries joining up with each other for joint bids. 

I’ve recently been watching a lot of World Cup content on FIFA+ (highly recommend btw), and one thing that’s noticeable as you get closer to the present day is that a lot of it starts to look the same from tournament to tournament. 

It’s a mix of standardised HD television quality across the board, as well as the fact that there is a corporate shine on all stadia involved. Russia 2018 for example didn’t give off much of a different presentation compared to say Brazil 2014 or Germany 2006. Same for the Euros tournaments. They all look very polished, and the only difference in experience is reserved for those actually travelling to those countries.

Long gone are the days of Mexico 86, Argentina 78 where everything about it looked exotic and a little out of the ordinary.

Its partly the reason USA 94 is my favourite. Nothing to do with the actual games - but as a kid at the time, it just looked absolutely stunning coming through the television. 
  • Has to be given to Uruguay / Argentina

Its 100 years since those two hosted the first Final, cant be anyone else - Certainly in terms of continent 
  • edited October 2022
    Has to be given to Uruguay / Argentina

Its 100 years since those two hosted the first Final, cant be anyone else - Certainly in terms of continent 
    Whilst it ticks the sentimental box, I think the challenge for Uruguay is that they don’t have much of an infrastructure that could host a World Cup involving 48 teams. Or even half of that. 

Montevideo is the only major city, and the main stadium there would need major redevelopment. 

Even as a major footballing nation in South America, they haven’t been given hosting rights to the Copa America since 1995.
  • edited March 2023
    Ah yes, that Ukraine right next to Iberia 
    Given the other combined bids, people were expecting a third country to join the Spain/Portugal bid. Lots had assumed it was Morocco since they are so close geographically while sitting on opposing continents.

Ukraine makes very little sense. It's either a publicly stunt or a pity inclusion. Either way, I'm not sure it helps the Spain/Portugal bid in any way.

At the moment, I'm almost hoping the South American bid wins by default.
    Rumours in the Athletic today that Ukraine is set to be replaced in the Iberian bid…

…by Morocco.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2023
    That would leave FIFA between three options for hosting:

#1 Spain, Portugal & Morocco
    #2 Saudi Arabia, Greece & Egypt
    #3 Argentina, Uruguay, Paraguay & Chile
  • That would leave FIFA between three options for hosting:

#1 is a good mix
  • Ebbsfleet, Welling and Maidstone are going to put a joint bid in.
  • CAFCTrev said:
    Ebbsfleet, Welling and Maidstone are going to put a joint bid in.
    Competition from Sheppey, Thanet and Medway will be stiff.
  • That would leave FIFA between three options for hosting:

Saudi Arabia, Greece and Egypt is a proper weird mix.

Looks like the career path of an ex-Premier League player after the age of 33.
  • Morocco have bid countless times, going back decades, and its always eluded them for one reason or another.

Spain/Portugal/Morocco is probably the most appealing for many from a logistical standpoint, but I still think Saudi will get it. As a country they have put themselves front and center of absolutely anything they can that is sport related in recent years, and 2030 is seen as landmark year for them for a range of different infrastructure projects. Its really hard to see past them.

Whilst the mix of countries in that bid may seem a bit random, this will be FIFA's way of pleasing multi confederations at one time. They will market it as a truly 'world' tournament by having it over a vast area. 

Its a real shame, but I think we've had the last ever 'single country' World Cup. 

Qatar showed that it is possible to host the tournament in a single city if you have the infrastructure for it. 
  • stonemuse said:
    That would leave FIFA between three options for hosting:

#1 is a good mix
    I think #1 makes the most sense logistically.

I think #3 makes the most sense historically - 100 years of the World Cup etc.

I think #2 is nonsense personally.

Smart move from the Spain/Portugal bid to bring Morocco on board if that is in fact what ends up happening. There was apparently concern in their delegation that Egypt, being the only African country involved in a joint bid, helps Saudi Arabia hoover up votes from the entire continent. Bringing Morocco into the fold solves that problem for them.
  • I was working in Saudi last year, they are pumping absolute fortunes into projects leading upto 2030. 
  • From Fabrizio Romano:

🏆🌎 Morocco, Spain and Portugal are set to host the 2030 World Cup.

Uruguay, Argentina and Paraguay to play their first games at home to celebrate 100 years since the first edition.

It’s gonna be World Cup in three continents for the first time ever.
  • Sponsored links:

• I quite like that idea. I know I will be in the min
  • Least it'll be in Europe for the time zones then.

Six teams already qualified is that though? 
  • edited October 2023
    Nice idea…

And with Europe, Africa, both Americas out of the running for 2034, you know what that means…
  • Australia and New Zealand?
  • WSS said:
    Australia and New Zealand?
    The beautiful Saudi Arabia. 
  • WSS said:
    At least they've qualified legitimately for world cups before and therefore have a modicum of sporting pedigree, unlike Qatar
  • sam3110 said:
    WSS said:
    At least they've qualified legitimately for world cups before and therefore have a modicum of sporting pedigree, unlike Qatar
    I’ve watched almost every WWE PPV in Saudi for last decade on the network. Can’t really moan about them hosting a World Cup when I have watched plenty sporting events in Saudi on TV. 
  • First thought is teams drawn to play their first game in South America ‘away’ will be at a disadvantage to the other 2 teams in their group that’ll already be in Europe.
  • Spain, Portugal and Morocco wouldn't be the worst idea. Adding 3 matches in South American countries to it is madness though.
  • Very happy with this and hoping the final is in Madrid :)