Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2030 World Cup - 100 years of the World Cup

2»

Comments

• Options

BBC

''Fifa also confirmed only bids from countries from the Asian Football Confederation and the Oceania Football Confederation will be considered for the 2034 finals.

Following that decision, Saudi Arabia announced it would be bidding to host the tournament in 2034 for the first time.

Fifa's decision to host the tournament across multiple continents has drawn criticism, with one supporter's body accusing football's world governing body of engaging in a "cycle of destruction against the greatest tournament on Earth".

"[It's] horrendous for supporters, disregards the environment and rolls the red carpet out to a host for 2034 with an appalling human rights record. It's the end of the World Cup as we know it," said Football Supporters Europe.''

• Options
    Let's just hope, with Aus hosting the Olympics in 2032, there's enough of a push from them to get a World Cup two years later.

Suspect it's already being gift wrapped and handed over to the Saudis though...
  • Options
    Travelling over 3 continents, FIFA really showing how much it cares about Climate Change.
    That’s the first thing I thought of.

Adds nothing to the competition but advantage/disadvantage to some teams and ridicule.

100 years since Uruguay won it, but what have Argentina and Paraguay got to do with it!?
  • Options
    Travelling over 3 continents, FIFA really showing how much it cares about Climate Change.

Adds nothing to the competition but advantage/disadvantage to some teams and ridicule.

100 years since Uruguay won it, but what have Argentina and Paraguay got to do with it!?
    Argentina were in the Final... Paraguay, absolutely nothing, apart from the fact that they were in the 1930 World Cup
  • Options

Nothing other than the fact it was a joint bid - so I guess FIFA couldn't just award it to one of the three.
  • Options
    I would have thought the successful bid was Spain/Portugal/Morocco seeing as they have the whole tournament apart from these opening games, so they could have just given the opening game to Uruguay for the centennial and that's it. 
  • Options
    absolutely bonkers. in fact beyond bonkers.

I know, why not play it on the moon.

I give up. 

I just hope some people see sense & vote it down. We had enough with playing it in winter last year with all the hassle that brought.

As I said last year - lets play it in Sweden, Iceland & Norway at xmas  !!
  • Options
    I don't really think it's going to be as disruptive as the Qatar one was though really.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    It’s nothing to do with 100 years of history or any of that. It’s about getting more votes from member nations/confederations for Infantino.

Decisions like this will get him backing from South America, Africa and Europe.

That’s all this is about.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It is just a way of removing South America from the schedule without having the bother of having to let them host a tournament. 
  • Options
    The thought of a Saudi World Cup is depressing. I think i'd rather see it played in North Korea.
  • Options
    Without getting into a political discussion (because that can be had about a lot of countries), Saudi holding the World Cup feels a lot more reasonable than the logistics of all the other multi-country tournaments going ahead.
  • Options
    I'm looking forward to the 2038 World Cup, co-hosted by New Zealand, Costa Rica, Poland and Nigeria
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Going to be all but impossible to see another World Cup in England again isn't it.

Just hope that we do such a good job hosting Euro 28, that FIFA turn around and go... "Wow, we've got to have it there... If only we had principles"