Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Urgent support needed to help one of our own (GoFundMe)

Hi All,

I don't usually post things like this but I have been made aware a very good friend of mine and a very loyal Charlton supporter (One of our own) and some that may actually know as well requires some much needed and urgent support after falling ill in Thailand.

If you could please take a look at the following go fund me and help Jimmy and his family with the hospital bill that would be fantastic.

I believe the family have contacted the club as well so if anyone from the club is reading this it would be brilliant if you share as much as you can. 

I have reached out to ask about posting on the forums and I don't believe this has yet to be done.. Apologies if it has.

www.gofundme.com/f/jn6nst-jimmy

I hope this is ok

Thank you

Rob

Comments

• Donation made. Former postman?
  • Donated
  • edited March 2023
    I’ve known Jimmy for about 45 years from school days Malory Downham he really is a top bloke so please let’s  all try and do our bit for him and his family.🙏🙏
  • Donated. Hope Jimmy gets the care he needs and that he gets home sooner rather than later
  • Donated but don't get why he had no insurance!
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Donated but don't get why he had no insurance!
    He had insurance, but they won't pay out as he didn't fully disclose existing medical conditions.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    He had insurance, but they won't pay out as he didn't fully disclose existing medical conditions.
    They do this even if previous conditions have no relevance whatsoever with the current problem.
    They do it with pets as well…..so beware.
  • Sponsored links:

• Dazzler21 said:
    They do this even if previous conditions have no relevance whatsoever with the current problem.
    That’s because they were lied to. 

• Donated. These things chill me.

Living in Asia for a fair few years meant I saw a number of these sorts of cases.

Worst one was some parents needing to sell their house to medivac their son home. "Best" one was a school's insurance being so good that a full medical got him back super quick (when it was discovered he had a heart twice the size of a normal one!!)

We can all learn lessons from these stories 
  • Planning a holiday there later this year so this is a salutary lesson for me. 

Hope Jimmy gets the help he needs to make a full and speedy recovery. 

I suspect almost everyone has taken out insurance without thinking too hard and so inadvertently not disclosed all information. 

Good luck to him.
  • edited March 2023
    Dazzler21 said:
    It's not that simple, it's around moral and physical hazard as well as the perception of the risk, on the physical hazard we don't know what he didn't disclose and how relevant that was, or how the insurer would have viewed that risk. On the moral hazard it's difficult to ever say on any medical insurance you didn't know you'd previously had something. 

Feel for the chap and have donated,

But everyone take note, take insurance (even for a day trip to France) and disclose everything no matter how small or irrelevant you think it is.
  • edited March 2023
    Dazzler21 said:
    No they don't. That would be against the law. They can only exclude relevant previous conditions. I worked in travel insurance for 7/8 years.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    No they don't. That would be against the law. They can only exclude relevant previous conditions. I worked in travel insurance for 7/8 years.
    Spot on Dazzler. The 2015 Insurance Act makes this very clear, however the same Act insists that all relevant facts are presented by the insured to the insurers. Difficult to comment further without knowing details.

I see a number of these cases reported in the Thai news forum that I follow and this is the first time I have made any sort of donation, not just because Jimmy is a Charlton fan but also that he did take out travel insurance;

Most of those I see are youngsters with no insurance who've been invlolved in motorbike accidents or have have obviously had a drunken incident.
  • Hi All, 

Thank you to all those who have donated so far, if possible I am trying to make awareness of this to gain support on twitter via the #CAFC hashtag so if you see the tweet please retweet it.

The good news is I've heard Jimmy is well at the moment but getting him home is the most important bit.

Keep the support going all I appreciate all the support at this moment in time.

I've been made aware there is a fundraiser at the new studio club in Downham bromley on Saturday so anyone nearby feel free to pop down.

All updates will be made on the gofundme by the family

Rob

• Donated.

Having had insurance in the past (not travel related tbf) which didn't pay out, he has my sympathy even if the insurance company have their own justifications.
  • Hi All, 

Thank you to all those who have donated so far, if possible I am trying to make awareness of this to gain support on twitter via the #CAFC hashtag so if you see the tweet please retweet it.

The good news is I've heard Jimmy is well at the moment but getting him home is the most important bit.

I've been made aware there is a fundraiser at the new studio club in Downham bromley on Saturday so anyone nearby feel free to pop down.

Rob

What time does this start on Saturday mate 
  • Donated.
  • Sponsored links:

• cazo said:
    Hi All, 

Rob

I believe it is 7pm but if possible you may have to call up just to ensure you can get in as not sure what it's like for non members .. for this occasion I would presume you will be fine but just check if you are looking to go. 

thanks all 
  • cazo said:
    Hi All, 

Rob

I believe it is 7pm but if possible you may have to call up just to ensure you can get in as not sure what it's like for non members .. for this occasion I would presume you will be fine but just check if you are looking to go. 

thanks all 
    Ok I phone up but no a few that get in there to sign me in.👍
  • Hi all just been in touch with the club. Won’t be a problem for nonmembers tomorrow night for Jim. Hopefully see some of us down there.
  • Hi All,

The pot currently sits at 18k and there are fundraisers happening tonight.. a flight booked for the 16th March at 24k back to Heathrow were Jimmy will then be transferred to Guys hospital

if you are able donate as little as a fiver it goes a long way.

I'm not one to usually do posting and asking for donations but for this type of cause I'm trying to do my bit to help the family.

Dean Holden did reach out a couple days ago to the daughters in Thailand 

GoFundMe link below for any donations.

gofundme.com/f/jn6nst-jimmy

#CAFC

• Done.
    I'm living in Thailand and found myself taken into a rural Thai Hospital just a few weeks ago. Fortunately it turned out to only be kidney stones.
    I can only hope that my small donation helps Jimmy get home and the treatment he needs.
  • At £20,700 now. Still a long way to go to cover those Thai hospital fees but edging up which is encouraging.
  • Just to let you all know jimmy came home yesterday 💪💪🙏🙏.
  • Hi just to let you all know jimmy home indoors 🙏🙏.