Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

What is the best individual performance by an opposition player you have seen?

1235»

Comments

• rina said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    rina said:
    I remember a game where David Ginola seemed to have the ball attached to his feet somehow. We just couldn't tackle him.

Or did I just dream it?
    Think that'll be the 1-4. Kins scored after 5 minutes and we then spent 85 minutes watching Ginola single handedly tear us apart. 100% the best I've seen anyone play at the Valley
    I remember a midweek game against Spurs when they came from behind tongive us a bit of a thrashing.  But have no recollection of Ginola being especially good in it.  Funny how the mind works, I don't remember Bob Bolder's testimonial other than I know I went and I knew Francis played, yet I remember a lot of other games like it was yesterday.
    Fa cup?
    2-0 up at half time and lost 2-4 
    Even Gary Doherty was brilliant for them. 

The Spurs fans were chanting for George Graham to be sacked at half time 
    That sounds about right.  I know my mum was there and I "think" it's the only time I have ever been with her.  The only other game at the Valley I remember her going to was the Southampton boxing day game that never happened.
    Ginola had left spurs by then which would explain you not remembering him being particularly good in the game
    I was almost certainly at both games 
  • Giggs in the 3-3 game for me. But at the other end of the pitch I can remember Jonathan Woodgate being outstanding for Newcastle whilst playing alongside Titus Bramble. Woodgate did the defensive work of 2 men that day and made it look effortless. Memory isn't what it was so can't remember what prem. season unfortunately 
  • Giggs in the 3-3 game for me. But at the other end of the pitch I can remember Jonathan Woodgate being outstanding for Newcastle whilst playing alongside Titus Bramble. Woodgate did the defensive work of 2 men that day and made it look effortless. Memory isn't what it was so can't remember what prem. season unfortunately 
    https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/charlton-athletic_newcastle-united/index/spielbericht/998182
  • Dean Lewington,despite his age,never seems to break sweat,and never gets  flustered,should have played at higher level.A credit to his profession.
  • MrOneLung said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    rina said:
    I remember a game where David Ginola seemed to have the ball attached to his feet somehow. We just couldn't tackle him.

Or did I just dream it?
    Think that'll be the 1-4. Kins scored after 5 minutes and we then spent 85 minutes watching Ginola single handedly tear us apart. 100% the best I've seen anyone play at the Valley
    I remember a midweek game against Spurs when they came from behind tongive us a bit of a thrashing.  But have no recollection of Ginola being especially good in it.  Funny how the mind works, I don't remember Bob Bolder's testimonial other than I know I went and I knew Francis played, yet I remember a lot of other games like it was yesterday.
    Fa cup?

What?  The George Graham that was sacked 3 years previously? :). Think you'll find David Pleat was in charge.
    From memory, that game marked Johnnie Jackson's first senior goal of his career, definitely for Spurs.
  • JohnBoyUK said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    rina said:

Or did I just dream it?
    Fa cup?

What?  The George Graham that was sacked 3 years previously? :). Think you'll find David Pleat was in charge.
    From memory, that game marked Johnnie Jackson's first senior goal of his career, definitely for Spurs.
    You have the wrong game. 

It is this one , just over a month before he was sacked. 

• Patrick Viera when Gunners beat us 3-0 Sept 2002,  we had corner 5 seconds later Viera charged forwards, fed Henry, 1-0. Viera was everywhere that match so strong, athletic and a very good footballer. 
  • Alan Groves for Oldham virtually every time we played them. He was an absolutely brilliant winger - should have played at a higher level. 
    One game at The Valley , he had beaten our full back so many times ( Mick Jones ) that he sat on the ball in front of him and beckoned him to come and try to get it. 
  • MrOneLung said:
    JohnBoyUK said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    rina said:

Or did I just dream it?
    Fa cup?

You have the wrong game. 

I stand corrected, profuse apologies.  I have no recollection of that game whatsoever.  Christ I'm going old and senile at the grand old age of 46!
  • John McGinlay of Bolton always used to dominate us.

Tony Adams at Selhurst was unbeatable.

Des Walker likewise for Forest at The City Ground.

• Sponsored links:

• MrOneLung said:
    JohnBoyUK said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    rina said:

Or did I just dream it?
    Fa cup?

You have the wrong game. 

This was a horrible game .  We were absolutely brilliant - the unlikely, paceless but surprisingly effective front two of Svensson and Bartlett were running rings around them.  Then we lost . 

Another individual one - Andy Cole when City battered us at home in Curbs’ last season .  He would have been old but still quality 
  • Modric in the FA Cup a few years back. 
  • wmcf123 said:
    MrOneLung said:
    JohnBoyUK said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    rina said:

Or did I just dream it?
    Fa cup?

You have the wrong game. 

This was a horrible game .  We were absolutely brilliant - the unlikely, paceless but surprisingly effective front two of Svensson and Bartlett were running rings around them.  Then we lost . 

Another individual one - Andy Cole when City battered us at home in Curbs’ last season .  He would have been old but still quality 
    Yep - remember it well - one of those games where you are ‘walking on air’ only to become utterly deflated later - the trudge back to the train station knowing you are about to encounter the drooling Spurs fans on the way
  • Chris Gunter put in an outstanding performance for Burton while wearing a Charlton shirt in the away game at theirs.
  • Early 80's , Tony Towner playing for Rotherham , lost 1-5 at The Valley. Ken Craggs sacked after the game. I remember standing on the east terrace and hearing a Millers fan shouting ' lick him Tony ' every time he took on our full back. He certainly did on the day. We later signed him but he never reproduced it for Charlton.
    Yep that was going to be my vote too, but you forget the second bit, every time he did the full back (Mark Aizelwood I think) he crossed it for Ronnie Moore who ran up a hat-trick. Could easily have been 7 or 8, they just got bored.  And of course we signed him too, literally, us, we collected money to sign him, and he was generally crap too. 

But Mark Aizelwood went on to be very good for us...Funny old game...
  • Chelsea at home in 1984 in a game brought forward for financial reasons, Pat Nevin ran the show but fortunately Nicky John's was equal and MoM. Operation Vale Park Gareth Ainsworth murdered us before we got away with murder and nicked it with a late penalty. 
  • Lawrie Wilson of Stevenage  ;-)
  • Thierry Henry literally every time he played against us too.
    Yeah there was one particular game where he tore us apart at the Valley and I feel that he scored a hatrick, but it maybe he just was so good it felt like he did!
  • Zaha looked good against us and gave Wiggins a very tough time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Kap10 said:
    Thierry Henry literally every time he played against us too.
    Yeah there was one particular game where he tore us apart at the Valley and I feel that he scored a hatrick, but it maybe he just was so good it felt like he did!
    don't remember him getting a hattrick but he certainly put 2 past us quite a few times, there probably aren't many with a better scoring record against us
  • Scott Fraser for MK Dons against us a few years back 
  • Graham Poll, playing for Fulham. His performance cost us two points and relegation.
  • Antonio first half when he was at Forest. Spent the second half in Gomez’s pocket. 
  • Zaha looked good against us and gave Wiggins a very tough time.
    Was that the game Wiggins broke his foot ? 
  • Richards for Wolves at Molyneux Cup Game about 1976 I think. Was unplayable . 
  • I've seen a few over the years.

Notably goal keepers against Spurs tend to have the game of their lives against us.  Ben Foster on at least half a dozen occasions for Man Utd, Watford, WBA.  Ramsdale on his debut for Bournemouth too.

One that stands out a country mile might surprise you.  Heurello Gomes.  Remember him?  He was playing for PSV at the time.  Spurs battered them, and I mean battered them but he kept them in the game.  It took a late half volley from Berbatov to beat him but he was outstanding.  He then saved 3 pens in the shoot out after extra time.

We signed him...and surprise surprise he turned shit almost over night.   Fraser Forster is another one.  Glad to have him as our back up now mind you.

Then there's the likes of Theirry Henry who never has a bad game against Spurs.  Serge Gnabry stands out as a recent one, the last time we played Bayern in the CL.  Thought Maddison was exceptional for 60 mins against us earlier in the season.