Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

What is the best individual performance by an opposition player you have seen?

Comments

• edited November 2022
    A 34 year old Paul Merson for Portsmouth back in March 2003.

Never seen a player receive a standing ovation like he did that day. He even says that it was the best match he played in his whole career.
    Before the game he gave Redknapp an envelope of money to look after (Harry was an expert with them). After he scored he looked at the touch line to see a load of his money flying about after it fell out of Harry's pocket during his celebration.
  • A 34 year old Paul Merson for Portsmouth back in March 2003.

Never seen a player receive a standing ovation like he did that day. He even says that it was the best match he played in his whole career.
    Before the game he gave Redknapp an envelope of money to look after (Harry was expert at it). After he scored he looked at the touch line to see a load of his money flying about after it fell out of Harry's pocket during his celebration.
    Funny enough I met a guy who used to be Pompey's kit manager on holiday earlier this year.  He told me that story but didn't say where it was.  Merson actually gave him the envelope but Harry insisted on "looking after it".

He also told some great stories about Alan Knight and Robert Prosinečki.  Part of his job was to ensure Robbie had a lit fag waiting at half time.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    I’ll name a few niche ones.

David Perkins, twice he absolutely bossed the midfield against us, once for Barnsley and another for Colchester, for anyone struggling remember the bright blonde haired journeyman defensive midfielder from roughly ten years ago.

Scott Fraser, yes our Fraser for MK Dons for the first post covid game back.

Luka Modric, FA Cup away to Tottenham 2011, he came on at HT and that was that, different gravy, it’s a cliche to say “you can’t get near him” but this was genuine.

Callum Wilson/Yann Kermorgant, Bournemouth at home 2015 when they needed something to win the championship, a frightening pairing up top at that level.  

Steve Morison, take your pick.  2009/10 both home and away we couldn’t handle him, think there was another fixture more recent too, a proper centre forward on his day difficult to contain.  

Patrick Berger for Pompey 2006 at the valley, the wonder goal, but his play all round was class, I don’t remember him being that good for Liverpool he just seemed to stand out for Pompey.  

Fraser Forster, Norwich at home 2010, how they beat us that day to go up is beyond me we battered them, and the only reason we lost 0-1 instead of winning 5-1 was him.  

Gavin Mahon, be amazed if anyone else remembers this, QPR away 2008, the day our fate was sealed so we couldn’t make the play offs, he ran the show, one for the traditionalists, tough, regimented and controlled the tempo for 90 minutes.

Stephen Quinn, ginger winger for Sheffield United, Pardew’s last game 2008, although I remember a few good performances against us.

Harry Maguire, Sheffield United FA Cup quarter final 2014, whatever happened to him, beast of a centre half performance.

Didier Zakora, Tottenham at home 2007, overshadowed by Berbatov that night but another midfielder who ran the show.

Clint Dempsey, Fulham away 7k addicks 2012, he took no mercy on us despite us being two leagues below banging in a hattrick.
    Everytime I saw David Perkins I though he was class.  Amazed how average his career was.
    "Barnsley Boris" always used to be brilliant against us, hence we remember him, and gave him that nickname, whereas hardly anyone else does!

Alex Rae was someone else who seemed to rise to the occasion when he played us.
  • Not a competitive match, but I remember a testimonial match for Bob Bolder I think, against Sheffield Wednesday where their manager Trevor Francis played, and despite being retired and much older was clearly the best player on the pitch, his quality shone through.

Similarly I remember a veterans game in the 90s where Billy Bonds despite being much older than most of the other players, was so much fitter and was running around like a 25 year old.
  • Lazy one... Kermorgant when he played against us for Bournemouth and Reading
    Not lazy at all. Dazzling performance and showed what we were missing... 
  • Not a competitive match, but I remember a testimonial match for Bob Bolder I think, against Sheffield Wednesday where their manager Trevor Francis played, and despite being retired and much older was clearly the best player on the pitch, his quality shone through.

Similarly I remember a veterans game in the 90s where Billy Bonds despite being much older than most of the other players, was so much fitter and was running around like a 25 year old.
    https://youtu.be/6-Rh-x1zGT0

I remember nothing about that game other than Francis playing.  I am sure I was there.
  • First one that came to mind was Forster in goal for Norwich (2010?)
    They got promoted that day but we absolutely dominated the match. 
    https://youtu.be/psuStNe2CcY
  • Another Shithurst Park game against Liverpool, a certain Ronny Rosenthal making his debut for Liverpool scoring the perfect hat trick in a 4-0 demolition of us on their way to the title, certainly remember that one...
    https://youtu.be/VVtnLA28kCI
  • Early 80's , Tony Towner playing for Rotherham , lost 1-5 at The Valley. Ken Craggs sacked after the game. I remember standing on the east terrace and hearing a Millers fan shouting ' lick him Tony ' every time he took on our full back. He certainly did on the day. We later signed him but he never reproduced it for Charlton.
  • Kips said:
    I remember Stan "The Dogger" Collymore terrifying the life out our defence up at the City Ground one year shortly after he signed for Forest from Southend. Somehow we got out with a 1-1, after Alan McCleary equalised. Collymore was exceptional that day though.

Karl Henry had a stormer for Wolves in midfield at the Valley in 2008 under Pards as our promotion push stumbled. I think it was a Saturday evening live on sky and he capped off a masterful performance by scoring a late winner to make it 2-3. I think Leroy Lita may have scored for us.

Also agree with the aforementioned Paul Parker and Ronny Rosenthal performances.
    Wasn't it Sylvan Ebanks Blake? I remember thinking he would do well in the premiership after that but couldn't do it at the higher level. Great performance.
    Just looked it up and Ebanks-Blake got the 2nd and Henry got the late winner.
  • Sponsored links:

• Benito Carbone away at the massives Dec '98. Just sat in awe as his passing and control tore us apart. Think Di Canio was in their line up in the same game, and even he was outclassed.
  • Mine was back in the days when we were at Smellhurst Park.
    A night game versus Fulham…..Paul Parker was absolutely from another planet that night, the ball was attracted to him like a magnet, time after time he intercepted passes, won tackles and cleared headers. Just how he continued with such stamina and coolness I will never know. At one stage we were throwing the kitchen sink at them in wave after wave but he was like having a twelfth man on the pitch…..truly outstanding. It literally became us versus Paul Parker.
    I remember talking to him in the lounge after the game and saying come and sign for us Paul, he just smiled and thanked me, I also remember thinking how small he was……5ft 5in……1.7mtrs. Unbelievable Jeff!
    Absolutely Parker mostly because we were going up, Fulham were relegated and we should have bought him. I fear Lawrence had no interest due to his height though (my speculation).

Of course Ronaldo's first match at The Valley has been much mentioned.  He would have been so much more effective if he wasn't so keen on going to ground every time a red shirt got near him.

Honourable mentions off the top of my head, Sheringham hatrick at the Den, Gabbiadini hat trick at West Ham and Dalglish on my first trip to Anfield, I can't remember the year but he oozed class.
  • Best for who?  Richard Wright in the 4-2 at Highbury would take some beating if you mean best for us.

Best for the opposition, don't really care.
  • I remember a "home" game vs Grimsby in 1996 when Clive Mendonca scored against us twice in a 3-1 defeat. He tore us a new one that night and it was one of the reasons I was so excited when we signed him.
  • I remember a game where David Ginola seemed to have the ball attached to his feet somehow. We just couldn't tackle him.

Or did I just dream it?
    Think that'll be the 1-4. Kins scored after 5 minutes and we then spent 85 minutes watching Ginola single handedly tear us apart. 100% the best I've seen anyone play at the Valley
  • rina said:
    I remember a game where David Ginola seemed to have the ball attached to his feet somehow. We just couldn't tackle him.

Or did I just dream it?
    Think that'll be the 1-4. Kins scored after 5 minutes and we then spent 85 minutes watching Ginola single handedly tear us apart. 100% the best I've seen anyone play at the Valley
    I remember a midweek game against Spurs when they came from behind tongive us a bit of a thrashing.  But have no recollection of Ginola being especially good in it.  Funny how the mind works, I don't remember Bob Bolder's testimonial other than I know I went and I knew Francis played, yet I remember a lot of other games like it was yesterday.
  • Another Shithurst Park game against Liverpool, a certain Ronny Rosenthal making his debut for Liverpool scoring the perfect hat trick in a 4-0 demolition of us on their way to the title, certainly remember that one...
    I remember that game, it was a very changed Liverpool team and I didn't recognize half their team. I remember our crowd cheering RR name when read out in a "who are you" kind of way. We weren't cheering by the end.
    My first Charlton game. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    rina said:
    I remember a game where David Ginola seemed to have the ball attached to his feet somehow. We just couldn't tackle him.

Or did I just dream it?
    I remember a midweek game against Spurs when they came from behind tongive us a bit of a thrashing.  But have no recollection of Ginola being especially good in it.  Funny how the mind works, I don't remember Bob Bolder's testimonial other than I know I went and I knew Francis played, yet I remember a lot of other games like it was yesterday.
    Fa cup?
    2-0 up at half time and lost 2-4 
    Even Gary Doherty was brilliant for them. 

The Spurs fans were chanting for George Graham to be sacked at half time 
  • boggzy said:
    Rosenthal at Shithurst. I actually reluctantly clapped after his third goal. I think I've clapped an opposition goal about three times in my life!
    This was a shit day all round for me. I was supposed to be going to the game with my girlfriend and bought seat tickets in the Arthur Waite. She dumped me a couple of days before the game and I decided to go to try and cheer myself up. Spent 90 minutes sat on my own with the hump, whilst watching us get stuffed.
  • Remember Kanoute bring unplayable on the Boxing Day 5-0. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Remember a very young Dean Henderson having a stormer in a Football for a Fiver game for Shrewsbury. 
  • MrOneLung said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    rina said:

Or did I just dream it?
    Fa cup?

That sounds about right.  I know my mum was there and I "think" it's the only time I have ever been with her.  The only other game at the Valley I remember her going to was the Southampton boxing day game that never happened.
  • Funnily enough I remember Alan McCormack having a brilliant game when Brentford beat us 3-0 at The Valley in 2015.
  • Darren Huckerby  always seemed to at well against us. 
  • rina said:

Or did I just dream it?
    Didn't Johnnie Jackson score a 30 yarder that night? Might have been his only goal for spurs IIRC.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    rina said:

Or did I just dream it?
    Fa cup?

That sounds about right.  I know my mum was there and I "think" it's the only time I have ever been with her.  The only other game at the Valley I remember her going to was the Southampton boxing day game that never happened.
    Ginola had left spurs by then which would explain you not remembering him being particularly good in the game
  • Other than distinctive looking players (e.g. Barnsley Boris) down in L1, great team displays tend to stand out more than great individual ones, though Cole Stockton certainly played well against us at The Valley last season. For example when Ipswich beat us badly at the end of last season, no individual particularly stood out for them.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    I didn't go to the Fulham game but my dad did and raved about Parker for years.

Giggs - if he had scored when he hit the bar it would be played more often than his semi final goal V Arsenal

Rooney when he came on against us for Everton, did it finish Desmond?  

Henry everytime.

RVN when we got stuffed, although having to play Luke Young at CB didn't help.

Darren Eadie in the 4-4 that has been often mentioned recently.

Ricky Otto in that boxing day game.

Jan Aage Fjortoft in the league cup.

Mark Shwartzer debut for Bradford in front of the covered End.
    I was at the game in Feb 2003 when a young Rooney came on for the last ten minutes and slightly stole the show.. 2-1 to us I think. 
    2-2 was the following season and Rooney scored. He started that game, so you might be mixing up the two matches.
  • Ron Futcher at The Valley when football wasn’t trendy , proper quick hatrick 

https://chicagoaddick.blogspot.com/2007/10/memories-of-barnsley.html

look at the crowd numbers in those days  and compare that to the monster crowd man city got against us last game of the season 
  • JamesSeed said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I didn't go to the Fulham game but my dad did and raved about Parker for years.

Giggs - if he had scored when he hit the bar it would be played more often than his semi final goal V Arsenal

Rooney when he came on against us for Everton, did it finish Desmond?  

Henry everytime.

RVN when we got stuffed, although having to play Luke Young at CB didn't help.

Darren Eadie in the 4-4 that has been often mentioned recently.

Ricky Otto in that boxing day game.

Jan Aage Fjortoft in the league cup.

Mark Shwartzer debut for Bradford in front of the covered End.
    I was at the game in Feb 2003 when a young Rooney came on for the last ten minutes and slightly stole the show.. 2-1 to us I think. 
    2-2 was the following season and Rooney scored. He started that game, so you might be mixing up the two matches.
    It was the first one, we looked absolutely terrified when he got the ball.