Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

What is the best individual performance by an opposition player you have seen?

edited November 2022 in General Charlton
Mine was back in the days when we were at Smellhurst Park.
A night game versus Fulham…..Paul Parker was absolutely from another planet that night, the ball was attracted to him like a magnet, time after time he intercepted passes, won tackles and cleared headers. Just how he continued with such stamina and coolness I will never know. At one stage we were throwing the kitchen sink at them in wave after wave but he was like having a twelfth man on the pitch…..truly outstanding. It literally became us versus Paul Parker.
I remember talking to him in the lounge after the game and saying come and sign for us Paul, he just smiled and thanked me, I also remember thinking how small he was……5ft 5in……1.7mtrs. Unbelievable Jeff!

Comments

• Jan Molby. Basically stood in the centre circle & ran the game from there. 
  • edited November 2022
    Probably not the greatest performance but at the West Ham friendly a number of years ago I watched Payet basically run the entire game. Thought he was a quality player and stuck him straight in the fantasy team for the season ahead.

Also that game I went away thinking Kashi was a premier league player in the making so wasn’t quite 100% accurate.
  • Too many to mention!
  • Giggs in the 3-3 game.
    Came on to post that.
  • Total random one from the archives - must have been back in 94/95 or so.... we played Port Vale at The Valley and it was 0-0. They had a Dutch goalie.... Arjan Van Heusden his name was. And he was literally ridiculous in goal to keep us out.
  • That Giggs game is a good shout. I remember Zola getting applauded off too, but I'll chuck a young Gazza at Selhurst into the mix.
  • Sponsored links:

• Yeah Gazza at shithurst, Ginola at The Valley or Dominguez at The Valley, all spurs players…seems unlikely but true
  • Parker and Giggs as already mentioned, Notts County had a goalie called Eric McManus who used to frustrate us on a regular basis. We played them first game after promotion in 1975 and but for him it could gave been 8-0 at half time, needless to say we lost 2-1 in the end.
  • Yep, I always remember Zola getting applauded off. What a player. 
  • I’m sure there are many others but Rooney and Van Nistelroy were superb when they beat us 3-1 at the Valley. Going back a bit I remember being in awe of Alan Ball against us for Southampton and, less famously, Peter Ward of Brighton in the 70s.
  • Another vote for Ginola here.
  • Yeah another vote for Giggs... Sadly.
  • Sponsored links:

• Another Shithurst Park game against Liverpool, a certain Ronny Rosenthal making his debut for Liverpool scoring the perfect hat trick in a 4-0 demolition of us on their way to the title, certainly remember that one...
    I remember that game, it was a very changed Liverpool team and I didn't recognize half their team. I remember our crowd cheering RR name when read out in a "who are you" kind of way. We weren't cheering by the end.
  • Mine was back in the days when we were at Smellhurst Park.
    A night game versus Fulham…..Paul Parker was absolutely from another planet that night, the ball was attracted to him like a magnet, time after time he intercepted passes, won tackles and cleared headers. Just how he continued with such stamina and coolness I will never know. At one stage we were throwing the kitchen sink at them in wave after wave but he was like having a twelfth man on the pitch…..truly outstanding. It literally became us versus Paul Parker.
    I remember talking to him in the lounge after the game and saying come and sign for us Paul, he just smiled and thanked me, I also remember thinking how small he was.

• Paul Parker wins hands down for me.
  • edited November 2022
    I didn't go to the Fulham game but my dad did and raved about Parker for years.

Giggs - if he had scored when he hit the bar it would be played more often than his semi final goal V Arsenal

Rooney when he came on against us for Everton, did it finish Desmond?  

Henry everytime.

RVN when we got stuffed, although having to play Luke Young at CB didn't help.

Darren Eadie in the 4-4 that has been often mentioned recently.

Ricky Otto in that boxing day game.

Jan Aage Fjortoft in the league cup.

Mark Shwartzer debut for Bradford in front of the covered End.
  • Lazy one... Kermorgant when he played against us for Bournemouth and Reading
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    I didn't go to the Fulham game but my dad did and raved about Parker for years.

Giggs - if he had scored when he hit the bar it would be played more often than his semi final goal V Arsenal

Rooney when he came on against us for Everton, did it finish Desmond?  

Henry everytime.

RVN when we got stuffed, although having to play Luke Young at CB didn't help.

Darren Eadie in the 4-4 that has been often mentioned recently.

Rick Otto in that boxing day game.

Jan Aage Fjortoft in the league cup.

Mark Shwartz debut for Bradford in front of the covered End.
    That Schwartzer one is a good shout.  Fraser Forster also made about 20 saves for Norwich against us one year at the valley 
  • Another Shithurst Park game against Liverpool, a certain Ronny Rosenthal making his debut for Liverpool scoring the perfect hat trick in a 4-0 demolition of us on their way to the title, certainly remember that one...
    THIS 

They were unplayable that game - correct me if I am wrong - he scored one with the left foot, one with the right foot, and the last with his head 

All from a player who missed the most open of open goals later in his Liverpool at Anfield 😳

But also Gazza with Spurs at Shithurst - the best footballer England has produced in my lifetime (I was born in 1970) - in that game he was a joy to watch - even though he was playing against us

And an honourable mention to Duncan Ferguson - no way the best oppo player against us - but fucking hell, he always tore us a new A hole - hated him against us 
    THIS 

They were unplayable that game - correct me if I am wrong - he scored one with the left foot, one with the right foot, and the last with his head 

All from a player who missed the most open of open goals later in his Liverpool at Anfield 😳

But also Gazza with Spurs at Shithurst - the best footballer England has produced in my lifetime (I was born in 1970) - in that game he was a joy to watch - even though he was playing against us

And an honourable mention to Duncan Ferguson - no way the best oppo player against us - but fucking hell, he always tore us a new A hole - hated him against us 

You are correct with Ronny,..Right, then Left, last with his Head, it was a pain to watch but at the same time brilliant, also remember the Gazza game, another one man game and again brilliant, and a pain at the same time, so two contenders there Flash...👍
  • George Best when we played (i think) Arsenal? in a testimony.  GB played for both teams - half and half.
  • Peter Noble for Burnley...
    Rodney Marsh in the 3-2 cup game...
    Chris Waddle dancing for Geordie and Wednesday...
    Tony Currie for Shef Utd...
    Earl Barrett for Oldham...
    Giggs, Henry, Aldridge, Souness, Rush, Kevin Ratcliffe....