Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Retro video games thread

We have plenty of discussion on here about modern games, but does anyone still play old games? So anything from the 70s all the way to the Xbox 360/PS3 generation.

- Is there an old console/computer platform you keep dusting off and plugging in to the telly for a shot of nostalgia?
- Any old games you keep going back to?
- Do you collect old games?
- Early memories of playing video games. 
- Any hidden gems that don't get the recognition they deserve?
- Games that everyone else hated but you loved because it was all you had as a kid?
- Memories of getting games and consoles for birthdays and xmas.

Last old system I played was actually the PS1, set it up last night and spent the evening playing Rage Racer! Id probably say my all-time fave gaming platform is the Amiga, followed by the PS1. After that its a mix of Mega Drive/Dreamcast/Xbox 360. I collect old games myself too, and have most gaming systems that have ever come out stored away, got a couple thousand video games too old and modern. 

Comments

• Still play a lot of old games on my PC

Its great that many from my childhood can be downloaded for free because they're not available for purchase now.

Sensible World of Soccer is the main one for me... Still regard it as the best Football game in existence, would love it if a proper version got remade, dont even need to change much. Just keep the controls as they are, make the pixel graphics a bit more modern, and of course an updated database.
  • Still play a lot of old games on my PC

Its great that many from my childhood can be downloaded for free because they're not available for purchase now.

Sensible World of Soccer is the main one for me... Still regard it as the best Football game in existence, would love it if a proper version got remade, dont even need to change much. Just keep the controls as they are, make the pixel graphics a bit more modern, and of course an updated database.
    With you on SWOS, still my all time favourite video game. Sunk hundreds of hours into the career mode on the Amiga. 
  • My Son has just passed me his old PS4 - I am addicted to Crash Bandicoot again! Only problem is you can't use the cheats from PS1 !  Never too old.
  • Was disappointed by the GTA Vice City remake, was looking forward to replaying it on the ps5. But it's pretty unplayable. 
  • never ever been one for video games really, even as a kid - but the one I do remember playing (in the kebab shop at Blackheath Standard) was Double Dragon, always used to be a decent wait to get on that
  • Had a spectrum, which was fun, but most of my gaming was on my trusty Mega Drive. Heartily recommend the website letsplaysega.com it has a great selection. One I play the most is nhlpa93 but also evander holyfield boxing, dune 2 battle for arakis. 

Need to give streets of rage 2 another go
  • Was disappointed by the GTA Vice City remake, was looking forward to replaying it on the ps5. But it's pretty unplayable. 
    I still dust off gta3 now and again.

Music etc was better on Vice City but I'm still more nostalgic for the one before for some reason.

Easier too so good to dip in and out off without much effort.
  • Old Championship Manager/Football Manager games are my thing - much more simple than the current game so don't need to plough hours into training, tactics, media etc, can complete a season in an evening.

cm0102 and FM08 are the best for me.

There's even a website where they data update current players into the cm0102 format, it's great.
  • Cool thread, I only play the odd modern game these days so most of the ones on the other thread don't mean anything to me.
    Enjoyed watching some Goldeneye n64 vids on YouTube recently - secrets, making of, speedrunning etc. Multiplayer was so good, my n64 is still in the loft so may have to get it down. 
    Am subscribed to Karl Jobst YouTube channel which has plenty of interesting vids on older games.
    I'd say the 3 games that I spent most of my time playing with mates as a youngster were Goldeneye, Swos and Street Fighter 2.
  • Sponsored links:

• Love the Sonic and Mario games of old. Sonic 2 was always a big favourite. 

Goldeneye, Zelda Ocarina Of Time and Star Fox are big N64 faves. Sure theyll be many more when I eventually remember them! 
  • Favourite arcade game of all-time is Konamis Scramble. Aside from that I used to waste tons of time playing Mario kart on the Wii until they dropped the multiplayer online facility. But thanks for this thread I've remembered that somewhere I have one of those multi game plug-in bits of tat that has lots of proper old basic games on it, and I'll dig it out to waste time while I am somewhat incapacitated.
  • Anyone grabbed the mini consoles that have come out lately? The Mega Drive mini 2 just dropped: 

• I have modded my old Wii and have emulators running for NES, N64, SNES, Playstation 1, Megadrive and some MAME (arcade) games.  In the arcade games, I specifically wanted to play Ninja turtles and the SImpsons game, both of which I thoroughly enjoyed at the arcade when younger and not available as ports to more recent consoles. I could spend hours playing: bubble bobble, micro machines, Dig Dug, Bomberman64, Street Fighter and original Mortal Kombat.  If anyone still has a Wii lying around, details here on how to (fairly) simply MOD it: https://www.groovypost.com/howto/softmod-nintendo-wii-easy/
  • Old Championship Manager/Football Manager games are my thing - much more simple than the current game so don't need to plough hours into training, tactics, media etc, can complete a season in an evening.

There's even a website where they data update current players into the cm0102 format, it's great.
    @North Lower Neil where did you download those from mate? Was addicted to champ Manager in the mid 90s. Would love to get an an old skool version from somewhere. 
  • They got the original Street Fighter game in my barbers. Find memories if playing that up Dave's kebab shop up Charlton Churche Lane
  • YTS1978 said:
    Old Championship Manager/Football Manager games are my thing - much more simple than the current game so don't need to plough hours into training, tactics, media etc, can complete a season in an evening.

@North Lower Neil where did you download those from mate? Was addicted to champ Manager in the mid 90s. Would love to get an an old skool version from somewhere. 
    All on here mate:

https://champman0102.net/
  • Great comments guys, was worried this thread would go down like a lead balloon!
  • Speedball 2 on the Mega Drive!
    Playing it on a original megadrive at the moment. Thrashed on my first game 77 to 5
  • Sponsored links:

• BalladMan said:
    I have modded my old Wii and have emulators running for NES, N64, SNES, Playstation 1, Megadrive and some MAME (arcade) games.  In the arcade games, I specifically wanted to play Ninja turtles and the SImpsons game, both of which I thoroughly enjoyed at the arcade when younger and not available as ports to more recent consoles. I could spend hours playing: bubble bobble, micro machines, Dig Dug, Bomberman64, Street Fighter and original Mortal Kombat.  If anyone still has a Wii lying around, details here on how to (fairly) simply MOD it: https://www.groovypost.com/howto/softmod-nintendo-wii-easy/

I remember a holiday in Majorca one year when was younger I spent half my time playing that Simpsons arcade game. Remember Marge being the best character.

For old consoles I love the N64 and Sega Saturn. 

Saturn had some quality games like Guardian Heros and Dragon Force, N64 Goldeneye was an obvious classic and Body Harvest was pretty good and not as well known.

Old PC games like Dungeon Keeper, Roller coaster Tycoon, theme hospital, civ2 are all still quality.

• For me retro is pre PlayStation /SNES

So for me:

Atari - let’s face it the games were crap and the kids at work can’t believe
    my first console was part made from wood, but still enjoyed Space Invaders, PAC Man and Berserk(?) etc 

ZX Spectrum - Manic Miner, Jet Set Willy, Daley Thompson Decathlon, Elite, Hyper Sports, jetpac, Football Manager, and loads of others 

Sega Mega Drive - the Sonics, Tiger Woods, Ecco the Dolphin, NHL 94, Aladdin, Street of Rage II, 

But my favourite game was Kick Off 2 on my mates Amiga computer 
  • I’d love to buy one of the mini Mega Drives but ONLY if it comes with Herzog Zwei, best game ever on that platform, properly underrated. 
  • From PS1/PS2 times, a few favourites:

Wipeout 2097
    Brian Lara Cricket
    Abe’s Oddyssey
    Actua Golf
    Resident Evil 1 and 2
    Silent Hill

• CAFCTrev said:
    Anyone grabbed the mini consoles that have come out lately? The Mega Drive mini 2 just dropped: 

Where can you get these? 
  • cabbles said:
    CAFCTrev said:
    Anyone grabbed the mini consoles that have come out lately? The Mega Drive mini 2 just dropped: 

Where can you get these? 
    Amazon mate: https://www.amazon.co.uk/SEGA-Mega-Drive-Amazon-Exclusive/dp/B0B7BDN73B
  • edited October 2022
    Defender

Asteroids: https://freeasteroids.org/

Battlezone
  • My wife got me one these last Christmas.

https://www.amazon.com/HAIHUANG-Handheld-Portable-Supports-Headphones/dp/B08G1NBCFF

It has every Mega Drive, Gameboy etc game you can think of. My son plays the remake of Castle of Illusion (Mickey Mouse game) on his tablet, I’ve been able to show him the Mega Drive original. I had good fun playing various other games I used to have, it was great timing as I was thinking about getting the old Mega Drive out and seeing if I could get it working on a modern TV.

I recently started putting the original Pokémon TV series on for him and he’s enjoying playing Pokémon Fire Red with a bit of help from me.
  • We have had a waffle place open in our town that has an upstairs with a load of arcade emulators, table football, ping pong and air hockey tables - all set to free play 3.99 for an hour went in saturday night 2 hours before closing with a couple of mates and it was completely empty so had the run of the place - they had the turtles and the old simpsons arcade 4 player games up there no coins required. Absolutely loved it.