Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Don't buy BMWs

Just heard that BMW are trialling a new subscription payment system in England. You have the option of heated seats, but if you don't choose it, your car will have the heated seats but you need to pay £20 a month to have the feature enabled wirelessly. If people accept this it potentially stirs up a hornets' nest.

Comments

• BMWs will be fitted with features that wont be activated unless you subscribe, such as heated seats and heated steering wheels.
  • Not sure what the issue is, Mutts. As now, you can spec them when you buy, or don't spec them which will reduce the purchase price. Then just use them (or not) when you want to - e.g. in the colder  months.
  • edited July 2022
    I think the issue is where it will end if successful. Pay to have fog lights work?
  • bobmunro said:
    Not sure what the issue is, Mutts. As now, you can spec them when you buy, or don't spec them which will reduce the purchase price. Then just use them (or not) when you want to - e.g. in the colder  months.
    I agree, when you buy you can have a whole host of optional extras.
    I wouldn't be bothered in the slightest that I haven't got heated seats if I hadn't paid for heated seats.
  • I think the issue is where it will end if successful. Pay to have fog lights work?
    If the law says all cars must be fitted with front and back fog lights then manufacturers can't make them optional - they will be standard spec.

The basic premise is that if you want to reduce the upfront costs of the car by not spec'ing extras then you can do so - but no need to retro fit anything if you change your mind or want to use them only at certain times.

As I said, you can still add them to the options list if you want when you buy the car and they then won't be subject to subscription. 

• BMW are not trialling it, it’s in place already, my 18month old bmw has adaptive light system available but I didn’t pay for it. From day 1 I was offered through the main screen to add for 1 off payment or monthly charge.
  • It isn't a feature in all markets which feels like they are trialling it.
  • Sponsored links:

• I think bmw are on to a winner here. It will drastically cutdown on multiple components and be another revenue stream for them. 
  • Is it me or does the above make no sense?
    It does because car companies are wise to the fact that heated seats in electric  cars is cheaper  than using a heater. Tesla reduce the battery range in the same way. 
    Tesla reducing the battery range is a good example of where this goes.
  • I don’t think there’s anyone in the South East under the age of 25 who doesn’t drive a BMW, Merc or Audi. 

Cost of living crisis and all that…
  • I think saying to people don't buy something just because you don't agree with it is a bit odd. At the end of the day people will spend there hard earned money on what they like and what makes them happy 😊 
  • Can see this being successful. People love a subscription 
  • I’m sure someone will or, already has, worked out a way to hack it
  • Buy a BMW/Merc/Audi and pay a fortune for ? .. the badge, though they are generally pretty good vehicles, but well overpriced i m o

• I've driven BMWs for 15/20 years and not once have I had an issue (although I now soon will).
  • Sponsored links:

• bobmunro said:
    Not sure what the issue is, Mutts. As now, you can spec them when you buy, or don't spec them which will reduce the purchase price. Then just use them (or not) when you want to - e.g. in the colder  months.
    One issue is resale price. No matter what features your car has you're basically only ever reselling the base model as BMW will want money every month off the new owner for those features.

So currently you'd pay extra for those nice features, but you'd at least get part of that back at resale. In future you're going to have to pay every month to rent those features and you'll recoup nothing.
  • I have a 2005 Honda, and it is as comfortable as the expensive Audi Q5 I had to give up (diesel) and at the moment far more reliable. Modern cars have far too many functions that can be costly when they fail.
  • Would love an old mint condition E30
  • edited July 2022
    I might be out of date on this but in the past, German cars for the UK market were MUCH higher specced than those for the home market.  This may be because most German Mercs are just cooking models used as taxis. In short, Mercs, Audis and BMWs are just bog standard cars in Germany.  I can't see the German consumers falling for this little trick.

Edited to add: The last courtesy car I had when mine was in for service had a heated steering wheel. It was fabulous. As for heated seats, even my sister's ancient Nissan Puke has them fitted!
  • I don’t think there’s anyone in the South East under the age of 25 who doesn’t drive a BMW, Merc or Audi. 

Probably more of an issue with the housing market than COL. Loads of youngsters on decent money with cash in the bank who are still nowhere near to getting a mortgage. Might as well drive around in a 'prestige' car while you wait for mum and dad to die.
  • To be fair it sounds a good idea. When you sell the new owner can activate what they like. 

The question is, will you be able to discontinue an extra?
  • @AFKABartram charges me £5 per month for an LOL button and £3 for a Quote button. I’ve got a free trial on the Like button that runs out soon. Bloody rip off.
    Can do you a hacked version TMA, shall we say £6 for the pair. No questions asked 😉
  • Love heated seats …wake up stiff .. soon sorted . 

Guilty as charged M'Lud ;)