Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Michael Morrison - signed for Pompey (p6)

Comments

• Options
    If you really want to bring back a veteran central defender, remember one who played all too few games for us nearly a decade ago .. Richard Wood. Right now he's playing the best football of his long career. But would he come back to the Valley where he was never rated while he's playing for a table topping team ? .. NO Chance
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    Signed for Pompey:
    Still can't get used to him with hair.
    I always think that, seems to have had hair at every club he’s played for except us.
  • Options
    I thought a big loss when he left us.
    He'll be a good signing for Pompey.
  • Options
    Has had a very good career. Been a regular pretty much everywhere he has gone since he was with us.

Played about 370 games at Championship level since our 2012 promotion.
  • Options
    Morrison had a bad year last year according to Reading fans.  He was never the quickest but seemed to have lost a step last year.  Not saying he won’t be good in league one but at his age the downward slide in athleticism comes quick
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    Cracking signing for Pompey. 
    Why, do they need a defence coach?
  • Options
    This is the kind of signing which, if we'd made, I'd have been pretty livid tbh
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2022
    Decent no-nonsense defender but can imagine he'll get torn apart by any striker with pace this season. 

In League One they are few and far between however. Can see Aneke giving him fits. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    aliwibble said:
    Signed for Pompey:
    Still can't get used to him with hair.
    I always think that, seems to have had hair at every club he’s played for except us.
    That's what Charlton does to a man! 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Why?

A player who has been consistent in the Championship for 10 straight years. Maybe not one for the future but certainly not a bad signing. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    a player with bags of experience of regularly playing at a higher level and had been promoted as runaway champions twice from this division with two different clubs? Would love some one like that here. Not as a big signing, but more as a pearce/andy hughes type of signing.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    a player with bags of experience of regularly playing at a higher level and had been promoted as runaway champions twice from this division with two different clubs? Would love some one like that here. Not as a big signing, but more as a pearce/andy hughes type of signing.
    Only a few months younger than Pearce, a bit of a gamble that he’s still got the legs for where Pompey want to be.
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Leuth said:
    Why?

A player who has been consistent in the Championship for 10 straight years. Maybe not one for the future but certainly not a bad signing. 
    Ben watson, harry arter?

both of these played at a higher level than Morrison 
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Really good signing 5 years ago

In 2022? Not so much
    This... I'd have said it was a good signing even 2 years ago, but he's lost a yard of pace and on the way down
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafctom said:
    Leuth said:
    Why?

Ben watson, harry arter?

Sam Vokes, James McClean, Barry Bannan?
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    cafctom said:
    Leuth said:
    Why?

Ben watson, harry arter?

32, 32 and 33.  So all older than Gunter was when we signed him.......

Getting the right "oldy" is almost as hard as getting the right youngster out of non league.

Doesn't mean it's a bad idea to try though.
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Leuth said:
    Why?

Ben watson, harry arter?

I know, but nobody was livid about those signings when they came in - as we quite rightfully thought they could add something. 
  • Options
    edited July 2022
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    sam3110 said:

In 2022? Not so much
    This... I'd have said it was a good signing even 2 years ago, but he's lost a yard of pace and on the way down
    Yeah, I'd happily sign the Morrison we let go but the current version I'm not fussed about.
  • Options
    great signing for them. One of those individuals that if we had actually been run properly would've easily stayed with us for the last 10 years imo. Him and Yann's sales were stupid at the time, utterly ridiculous in hindsight. 
    i agree but you dont need hindsight it was obviously terrible decision at the time. When Yann was sold i knew from that point we were in trouble with RD as owner. 
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    Cracking signing for Pompey. 

Pompey boys at work well pleased with this.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    cafctom said:
    Leuth said:
    Why?

Ben watson, harry arter?

32, 32 and 33.  So all older than Gunter was when we signed him.......

Getting the right "oldy" is almost as hard as getting the right youngster out of non league.

Doesn't mean it's a bad idea to try though.
    Agreed, age means nothing.  In hindsight, the signs were there with Arter but I think Gunter just didn't work out, still maintain he wasn't a bad signing on paper. I think being insistent on signing players who are under 27 just because of the last few years is an overreaction. Made plenty of shite signings who were much younger too. 
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    sam3110 said:

In 2022? Not so much
    Exactly, there's a reason he was released by a side who had the worst defensive record in the championship last season and who would've been relegated had Derby not been deducted a million points.
  • Options
    great signing for them. One of those individuals that if we had actually been run properly would've easily stayed with us for the last 10 years imo. Him and Yann's sales were stupid at the time, utterly ridiculous in hindsight. 
    i agree but you dont need hindsight it was obviously terrible decision at the time. When Yann was sold i knew from that point we were in trouble with RD as owner. 
    The Yann sale did make some sort of sense though. Player with 6 months left on his contract, offered a better deal by Bournemouth a club owned by a secretive Russian, who broke the FFP rules.

The Morrison sale was ludicrous in comparison, as we forced out our 3rd choice CB - i.e. a player one injury/suspension away from the first team - someone who had just signed a new contract