Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Michael Morrison - signed for Pompey (p6)

Comments

• Out of contract at the end of the season, relationship with Jacko, would be another Pearce-like leader in the dressing room, would make sense to try bring him back to SE7.
    nostalgia aint what it used to be
  • Out of contract at the end of the season, relationship with Jacko, would be another Pearce-like leader in the dressing room, would make sense to try bring him back to SE7.
    You’ve seen my thread about out of contract players this summer haven’t you? :smile:
  • Scoham said:
    Out of contract at the end of the season, relationship with Jacko, would be another Pearce-like leader in the dressing room, would make sense to try bring him back to SE7.
    If we're keeping Pearce then with the squad cap in place having two aging Pearce-like CBs is one too many.
    Surely we aren’t keeping Pearce (as a player) next season?
  • se9addick said:
    Scoham said:
    Out of contract at the end of the season, relationship with Jacko, would be another Pearce-like leader in the dressing room, would make sense to try bring him back to SE7.
    If we're keeping Pearce then with the squad cap in place having two aging Pearce-like CBs is one too many.
    He's out of contract in the summer so I highly doubt we will be offering him a new one. He might stay on as a coach though. 
  • Would not surprise me, we will get told the ‘Black Box’ identified him.
  • se9addick said:
    Scoham said:
    Hopefully not.
  • If Michael Morrison is mobile enough for the bottom of the Championship this year (and top of it last year), then he'll be mobile enough for the top of League One next year. If it were possible, I'd have him back to partner Lavelle and/or Innis.
  • Sponsored links:

• LoOkOuT said:
    If Michael Morrison is mobile enough for the bottom of the Championship this year (and top of it last year), then he'll be mobile enough for the top of League One next year. If it were possible, I'd have him back to partner Lavelle and/or Innis.
    That's assuming we will be AT the top end next season! Not seen anything yet to suggest that will happen.

Plus there will be another 3 very good teams (relegated) that will be competing at the top end next year to add to the Boltons, Oxfords, Wycombes, Wigans, Rotherham's, MKDons' that have all shown they are better than us already. Even Crewe did!! 

We have lots to learn. Great ground. Great training ground. Great fans. Average squad. Fairly predictable tactician at the helm.
  • Stig said:
    I wish we'd stop the infatuation with old players. We definitely need some new blood. No offence to Morisson, but I hope we get someone younger and with no past history here.
    I don't mind about the past history, would have been fine signing Morrison 5 years ago or whatever if we were in a position to, but not keen on signing 34 year olds, we should be buying mid 20s type players, ones who can be good and get better.
  • edited February 2022
    se9addick said:
    Scoham said:
    He’s had some great performances this season and had our POTM a few times too.
    I admit he’s had a few not so good games but still think he has another season in him at Div1 level.
    Great to have him on the bench, if not in the starting eleven.
    First thing Duchatalet did when he walked through the door was to get rid of our two best players…..Morrison and Kermorgant. It stripped out the spine of the team at a stroke. What a complete arsehole he was! 😤🥊
  • se9addick said:
    Scoham said:
    I admit he’s had a few not so good games but still think he has another season in him at Div1 level.
    First thing Duchatalet did when he walked through the door was to get rid of our two best players…..Morrison and Kermorgant. It stripped out the spine of the team at a stroke. What a complete arsehole he was! 😤🥊
    Pearce in the starting xi? You must be a sucker for pain. If we are serious about promotion we need four excellent centre halves competing for those two/three places.
  • Stig said:
    I wish we'd stop the infatuation with old players. We definitely need some new blood. No offence to Morisson, but I hope we get someone younger and with no past history here.
    I don't mind about the past history, would have been fine signing Morrison 5 years ago or whatever if we were in a position to, but not keen on signing 34 year olds, we should be buying mid 20s type players, ones who can be good and get better.
    And we can sell on to Chelsea.
  • Stig said:
    We have a limited, finite, budget. We need to balance signing “ mid 20s type players, ones who can be good and get better” with veterans to make the most of it. 
  • iaitch said:
    Stig said:
    You jest but we are where we are, if we get in players who do well and then we sell on at a profit, that's a success.
  • iaitch said:
    Stig said:
    You jest but we are where we are, if we get in players who do well and then we sell on at a profit, that's a success.
    Mmmmm…..that’s debatable Neil.  🤔
  • iaitch said:
    Stig said:
    Mmmmm…..that’s debatable Neil.  🤔
    It's better than getting in players who do badly, and we sit and wait for their second year to run out hoping to get someone better.
  • Sponsored links:

• se9addick said:
    Stig said:
    We have a limited, finite, budget. We need to balance signing “ mid 20s type players, ones who can be good and get better” with veterans to make the most of it. 
    This is no time for a limited finite budget.
    Or, put it another way, if that is what the owner plans/can afford we might as well resign ourselves to years of third division football and gradual decline in attendances barring a substantial amount of good luck.
  • se9addick said:
    Stig said:
    Yet those veterans are on the higher wages half the time.
  • se9addick said:
    Scoham said:
    He gave Morrison a new contract..... 

He didn't stay long after that mind. 
  • se9addick said:
    Stig said:
    Or, put it another way, if that is what the owner plans/can afford we might as well resign ourselves to years of third division football and gradual decline in attendances barring a substantial amount of good luck.
    So there should be an unlimited budget?
  • Morrison, captain of a team that's currently sinking like a stone despite their team probably being good enough for midtable in the Championship. 

No thank you, Reading's defensive record is terrible and he is a part of that. Doesn't matter how good he was 5-10 years ago. 

Only going to get worse too as his age increases. 
  • Need Lavelle to be the leader, with another hungry CB coming in (gawd knows who)  I think he has it in him, liked MM but that was many a year ago, also when MM was with us he was surrounded by better players we have now alongside him and in front of him. That squad CP put together was best we have had since Curbishley era. 
  • Was a good player for us in his time, but no thanks. What's the point in getting Elewere on a contract if he's not gonna feature? We've got to stop signing players on the way down and start getting them on the way up.
  • se9addick said:
    se9addick said:
    Stig said:
    So there should be an unlimited budget?

We should be doing all we can to secure our number one targets and if that requires a little budget latitude I think we should push the boat out, within reason.
    (Yeh, I know it's not my money. Duh!)
  • If you really want to bring back a veteran central defender, remember one who played all too few games for us nearly a decade ago .. Richard Wood. Right now he's playing the best football of his long career. But would he come back to the Valley where he was never rated while he's playing for a table topping team ? .. NO Chance