Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The LOL option and its usage.

edited May 2022 in General Charlton
Ok we used to have a flagging system which was deemed to be a bit antagonistic by admin, so it was done away with way back.
We now have only the LOL option which I and I assume most others are a bit confused with as to its usage.
It seems that more and more it’s being used as a sign of disapproval.
Often I find something that I genuinely find amusing and would like to use the LOL option to show that and complement the poster, however I rarely do that any longer because LOL is now used more of an indication of disapproval or disagreement.
I know this has been kicked around previously on the forum, however I think what is otherwise a fabulously run organised and user friendly place, it would benefit with some kind of disapproval/disagreement option and allow the LOL option to be used for what it says on the tin…..i.e funny.
Do I need to get out more? 🥹

Comments

• Uboat and clive first in the queue with what no doubt will be many LOL’s to come.😄
  • edited May 2022
    Ok we used to have a flagging system which was deemed to be a bit antagonistic by admin, so it was done away with way back.
    We now have only the LOL option which I and I assume most others are a bit confused with as to its usage.
    It seems that more and more it’s being used as a sign of disapproval.
    Often I find something that I genuinely find amusing and would like to use the LOL option to show that and complement the poster, however I rarely do that any longer because LOL is now used more of an indication of disapproval or disagreement.
    I know this has been kicked around previously on the forum, however I think what is otherwise a fabulously run organised and user friendly place, it would benefit with some kind of disapproval/disagreement option and allow the LOL option to be used for what it says on the tin…..i.e funny.
    Do I need to get out more? 🥹
    No I broadly agree.  My understanding of the flag was that it was intended to indicate a cause for concern rather than just disagreement.  
  • edited May 2022
    We could use this for those wish to sneer at anything they don't agree with but find themselves unable to explain why:

Eye Roll GIFs - 75 Animated Images - Download for Free
  • The LOLS aplenty thread!
  • bobmunro said:
    Like, Dislike and LOL makes sense.
    disagree 
  • Sponsored links:

• Facebook gives you 7 emoji options ranging from love, like to shock, upset and anger.

Like is pretty self explanatory.  

Not sure anyone actually laughs out loud at very much.
  • edited May 2022
    I preferred the site with neither, but that's just my opinion
  • Should be a PP button for "people's promote".

This would put the power in the hands of the fans and away the thieving spanner loving admin.

Ten PP = 1 promote
  • Again, Up and downvotes are better than likes and lols.

Upvote a good contribution, downvote a bad one. doesnt matter if you agree with it or not, "like" implies you agree with the comment and "lol" can be antagonistic. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Facebook gives you 7 emoji options ranging from love, like to shock, upset and anger.

Not at Charlon anyway.
  • Macronate said:
    We should have a ‘someone throwing a plastic pig 🐖’ option when we’re all in uproar about a post.
    I like that one  :D
  • Already heading towards this  :)

• Would love a "hide thread" option to be looked into.
  • Sponsored links:

• A dislike button just isn't a good idea as it ultimately leads to brigading of people's posts and will make the forum a much less pleasant place to be. The fact we've already seen LOL get turned into that by some is an indictator of how quickly it would become a weapon rather than a useful tool. If you disagree with someone's post then you just have to write why, that's what keeps the forum chugging along. That and Golfie.
    F ck off Gal you mug

;)
  • Gribbo said:
    Would love a "hide thread" option to be looked into.
    Or even a hide poster button!
  • Should be a PP button for "people's promote".

This would put the power in the hands of the fans and away the thieving spanner loving admin.

Ten PP = 1 promote
    Move on, Henners.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Facebook gives you 7 emoji options ranging from love, like to shock, upset and anger.

no thanks, facebook do that so they can refine their algorithms to push you more controversial content - the more controversial and emotive the content, the more likely you are to click on their advertisers and/or make impulse buys - theres been loads of studies on this.
  • bobmunro said:
    Like, Dislike and LOL makes sense.
    disagree 
    Fair point/point well made.
  • Cafc43v3r said:

no thanks, facebook do that so they can refine their algorithms to push you more controversial content - the more controversial and emotive the content, the more likely you are to click on their advertisers and/or make impulse buys - theres been loads of studies on this.
    Yes I know that but that's not applicable to this conversation is it?  The point is a "like" is very clearly that a "lol" isn't. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Yes I know that but that's not applicable to this conversation is it?  The point is a "like" is very clearly that a "lol" isn't. 
    there is literally no point to them apart from allowing facebook to track what's controversial. They're pretty much pointless otherwise.
  • I love them  means they have at least read my post. I even have my own dedicated lol stalker from Spain, who follows me around the site for some obscure reason.