Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The LOL option and its usage.

Comments

• Options
    Can't say I've seen "lol" misused & wouldn't know how it could be. Thought it was fairly obvious that it's used when you think a poster is being witty or sarcastic. A thumbs up or down is a good idea like the BBC use for their comments. 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Like when its something I, well, like or agree with, LOL if its actually funny.

We need a !Bed Wetter Alert! option though.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Nothing wrong with having our own definitions here in the CLUniverse, of course ... but there is a great big World out there.

OED says "Originally and chiefly in the language of electronic communications: ‘ha ha!’; used to draw attention to a joke or humorous statement, or to express amusement."
  • Options
    Ok we used to have a flagging system which was deemed to be a bit antagonistic by admin, so it was done away with way back.
    We now have only the LOL option which I and I assume most others are a bit confused with as to its usage.
    It seems that more and more it’s being used as a sign of disapproval.
    Often I find something that I genuinely find amusing and would like to use the LOL option to show that and complement the poster, however I rarely do that any longer because LOL is now used more of an indication of disapproval or disagreement.
    I know this has been kicked around previously on the forum, however I think what is otherwise a fabulously run organised and user friendly place, it would benefit with some kind of disapproval/disagreement option and allow the LOL option to be used for what it says on the tin…..i.e funny.
    Do I need to get out more? 🥹
    Disgusting example of trawling for LOL's...
  • Options
    Who actually has the time to worry about this stuff?
    Genuinely baffles me.
    I’ve unfollowed people on FB after they got the hump that I liked some photos they put on and not others. Wtf is that about? Who checks that shit?
    LLLBH
    A girl at my work told me a few months ago that she will remove a photo from instagram if it doesn't get enough likes. Why the hell would you care?
  • Options
    1st world problems
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Facebook gives you 7 emoji options ranging from love, like to shock, upset and anger.

Like is pretty self explanatory.  

Not sure anyone actually laughs out loud at very much.
    no thanks, facebook do that so they can refine their algorithms to push you more controversial content - the more controversial and emotive the content, the more likely you are to click on their advertisers and/or make impulse buys - theres been loads of studies on this.
    Yes I know that but that's not applicable to this conversation is it?  The point is a "like" is very clearly that a "lol" isn't. 
    there is literally no point to them apart from allowing facebook to track what's controversial. They're pretty much pointless otherwise.
    I used Facebook as an example. I am not sure why you can't see that? 
  • Options
    Genuinely baffles me.
    I’ve unfollowed people on FB after they got the hump that I liked some photos they put on and not others. Wtf is that about? Who checks that shit?
    LLLBH
    Say it, sister
  • Options
    Genuinely baffles me.
    LLLBH
    A girl at my work told me a few months ago that she will remove a photo from instagram if it doesn't get enough likes. Why the hell would you care?
    Sounds like a step towards the scenarios in the David Eggers book, The Circle. 
  • Options
    I´ve got over 1000 and about 90% of them are from the same one person, so I must have a very specific comic style or one very attentive watcher!
  • Options
    Macronate said:
    We should have a ‘someone throwing a plastic pig 🐖’ option when we’re all in uproar about a post.
    Love it , great idea, could also have a crisp packet, but which brand would you choose? 🙄
  • Options
    Lenny Ohhh Lenneeeee
  • Options
    I'm a tough crowd, an emotional response in the form of a smile or an actual laugh noise is needed for me to knowingly hit the lol button. Be that the intentional response to what the poster has written or not. 

Wanky, lazy comments like "so you're not a fan then" I'd like a "hit with a wet fish" option. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Huskaris said:
    Don't get rid of it, if people look at my profile they might actually think I'm funny rather than holding incredibly unpopular views. 
    That genuinely made me laugh out loud. 
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Would love a "hide thread" option to be looked into.
    Or even a hide poster button!
    Who said that?
  • Options
    Bring back the flag button but for its original purpose 

Any multiple flags on a post get sent to CL Towers for review so that it is used as a tool for offensive posts rather than use it as a jokey comment on someone saying something like 'thought Palace should have had a penalty last night'

• Options
    I log the number of likes and LOLs I get to each thread and store the results in a spreadsheet. I calculate my daily, weekly and monthly average. If the LOLs are a bit low for any month, I tell my wife jokes. 
  • Options
    Can't say I've seen "lol" misused & wouldn't know how it could be. Thought it was fairly obvious that it's used when you think a poster is being witty or sarcastic. A thumbs up or down is a good idea like the BBC use for their comments. 
    Double click on the LOL button
  • Options
    I keep it simple. 

If I like a point of view, or someone has taken the time to present a post well, add something different etc I’ll like the post.

If someone posts something that makes me chuckle, I’ll lol it.

If someone posts something I disagree with or I think is stupid, I ignore it. 

Those who issue sarcastic lol’s as a way of showing disagreement or belittling, I think are pathetic considering you’re all meant to be adults and I look upon with disdain.

lol away…
    This 100%
  • Options
    A dislike button just isn't a good idea as it ultimately leads to brigading of people's posts and will make the forum a much less pleasant place to be. The fact we've already seen LOL get turned into that by some is an indictator of how quickly it would become a weapon rather than a useful tool. If you disagree with someone's post then you just have to write why, that's what keeps the forum chugging along. That and Golfie.
    (Speaking personally here, not as a mod). The trouble is, adhering to the concept of "if you disagree with someone's post you have to write why" can cause more problems than it solves. While having a lot of posters LOL a post that you didn't mean to be funny isn't nice, it's generally less unpleasant than having a smaller but still significant number of posters going on at length about why they think you're talking shit. When that happens, particularly on contentious topics, you frequently end up with a multi-branching argument, the person on the receiving end feeling piled on, and sometimes that ends up with them getting increasingly embattled to the point where they lash out and the mods having to intervene. Being able to signal dissent without contributing to the raised temperature is useful, but I agree that the LOL button is far from ideal for doing that. It's just that at present, that's the only method we have.