Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

1st Team Squad as at 3rd May

excluding the couple of players with an extra year option we’d don’t know if going to be triggered (JFC, Davidson), squad as currently stands...

First Team

Goalkeepers
Craig MacGillivray 2023
Ashley Maynard-Brewer 2023 

Wide right (full and wing) 

Wide left (full and wing) 
Corey Blackett-Taylor 2023
Diallang Jaiyesimi 2024
Charlie Kirk 2025

Back 3 / Centre Backs
Deji Elerewe 2024
Sam Lavelle 2024
Sean Clare 2023

Central Midfielders (Defensive & Attacking)
George Dobson 2023
Scott Fraser 2025
Alex Gilbey 2023
Albie Morgan 2023

Strikers
Chuks Aneke 2025
Jayden Stockley 2024

Comments

• And Kirk.

Waiting for news on Washington, Davison, JFC, Matthews, Inniss and Purrington who are all out of contract.
  • Thanks for posting this @AFKABartram - it's always a useful reminder, particularly when interest in Charlton begins to wane thanks to results. 
  • It annoys me that when inevitably JFC signs we’ll be close to complete in centre midfield despite, IMO at least, it being the area where we are weakest.  
    Agreed, if we're going for 6 we'll have 5 which means only signing one. Really we need to offload at least one of Morgan or Gilbey. 
  • edited May 2022
    It annoys me that when inevitably JFC signs we’ll be close to complete in centre midfield despite, IMO at least, it being the area where we are weakest.  
    Agreed, if we're going for 6 we'll have 5 which means only signing one. Really we need to offload at least one of Morgan or Gilbey. 
    Agreed also, I want Gilbey or Morgan moved on, preferably Gilbey, we have to be radical in the market if we are not to see a repeat of 21/22.  Gilbey/Morgan were anonymous in far too many games.

Agree with CAFC43v3R about Fraser and JFC combo, but another quality addition needed.
  • Option on Brendan Sapong-Wiredu ?
  • The players listed are, on the whole, decent L1 players. 

Lots of work to do but we at least start from a position of not carrying a load of big wages on poorly performing players which has been a problem for a few years.  

If the recruitment team can get the right people in we have a decent chance. 

Of those contracted I would move on Kirk, Morgan and McG if we could.
  • Option on Brendan Sapong-Wiredu ?
    Denied by the player himself
  • It annoys me that when inevitably JFC signs we’ll be close to complete in centre midfield despite, IMO at least, it being the area where we are weakest.  
    Agreed also, I want Gilbey or Morgan moved on, preferably Gilbey, we have to be radical in the market if we are not to see a repeat of 21/22.  Gilbey/Morgan were anonymous in far too many games.

Agree with CAFC43v3R about Fraser and JFC combo, but another quality addition needed.
    One to come in and play with Dobson and Fraser would be my preference. Then another with JFC and Morgan as cover. Although I wouldn't mind selling Morgan and keeping Gilbey. Just have to hope neither play 20+ games next season. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Think the same. 

One more quality midfielder to go with Dobson & Fraser. Keep JFC to go with Morgan and Gilbey. Like to see Henry involved as well. 

Like to Keep Washington then get one more pacy forward along with Kanu. 

Complete overhaul of the defense and wingbacks imo 
  • I can remember years when we had hardly any players under contract at the end of the season. I know this one has not been great but I'd rate our chances next season a lot lower if we were re-building an entire squad (IMHO).
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    It annoys me that when inevitably JFC signs we’ll be close to complete in centre midfield despite, IMO at least, it being the area where we are weakest.  
    A fit JFC and a fit Fraser would surely be better than what we have seen.  Probably still 1 short and they need to good, very good. 

I would rather the gamble on JFC than keep Gilbey or Morgan. 
    Me too. If we can offload Gilbey and or Morgan I expect we could afford suitable other back ups. 
  • Morgan counted as u21 this season, he won’t next season so that could result in us looking to move him or Gilbey on.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    A fit JFC and a fit Fraser would surely be better than what we have seen.  Probably still 1 short and they need to good, very good. 

Me too. If we can offload Gilbey and or Morgan I expect we could afford suitable other back ups. 
    I am not sure how easy it will be to offload either of them other than by way of a loan. I can't see anyone paying a fee for either. Possible loans to Gillingham, Leyton Orient or Maidstone probably the best we can do, but would imagine Charlton would have to still foot most of the wages bill.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

I am not sure how easy it will be to offload either of them other than by way of a loan. I can't see anyone paying a fee for either. Possible loans to Gillingham, Leyton Orient or Maidstone probably the best we can do, but would imagine Charlton would have to still foot most of the wages bill.
    Morgan is still on a relatively low wage so would be the easier of the 2 to shift.  Saying that if we are restrained by a grand or two a week it probably doesn’take much difference.
  • Well this entire thread need a a revamp.. RIP 352
  • Think this explains the reason why players haven't been offered deals as a new manager is coming in.

That's got to be a quick appointment and how much influence do they have in the transfer policy. 

I was on the fence in regards to Jackson's tactics but felt he could of moved this club forward with new players and a good pre-season. 

Must have someone in mind to take over if we haven't seems a bit odd. 
  • Well this entire thread need a a revamp.. RIP 352
    Do you not think he played 352 due to the shortcomings of the squad?  No striker that could play up front on his own, immobile centre halves, lack of quality in the midfield?  
  • Goalkeepers
    Craig MacGillivray 2023 inconsistent for us so far but he got pompey's POS last term, we're lumbered until somebody offers proper(silly) money
    Ashley Maynard-Brewer 2023 hopefully his loan has made him the finished article

Wide right (full and wing) 

Wide left (full and wing) 
    Corey Blackett-Taylor 2023 don't get the right footed wing back on the left side business - he's our best right winger and a contract extension would be wise 
    Diallang Jaiyesimi 2024 underwhelmed from his first appearance for us - maybe a squad back up, never looked fit enough
    Charlie Kirk 2025  accept any money for this one least said the better

Back 3 / Centre Backs
    Deji Elerewe 2024 looked decent, hopefully he's fully repaired from his injury
    Sam Lavelle 2024 looked like a lightweight Jason Pearce, squad fodder at best
    Sean Clare 2023 he's enthusiastic but no centre half, gotta be better in CM than gilbers, ain;t he?

Central Midfielders (Defensive & Attacking)
    George Dobson 2023 One that absolutely has to be secured on an extended improved contract - do it first to send the message to the rest that his is the example they all need to follow and aspire to 
    Scott Fraser 2025  shine on this lightweight, Ipswich flogged us a pup
    Alex Gilbey 2023  take any money he's not as good as he thinks he is
    Albie Morgan 2023  take any money he's not as good as we need him to be

Strikers
    Chuks Aneke 2025  take any money at all this was a dopey emotional signing he's made of glass
    Jayden Stockley 2024 we're not going to get significantly better for anything like what he's on, reality check needed he's achieved better than a goal every 2 games completed leading the line for an inconsistent side that didn't make the top half, we're vastly superior in both boxes when he plays  All talk of getting rid is juvenile pish

Conor Washington is as good as can reasonably be secured for this division our results with him are dramatically better than without, I'd call him the minute I'd agreed Dobbo's uplift.
  • Sponsored links:

• what a joy that is to see 
  • Not unhappy with those
  • Time to put them back into a 4-3-3/4-2-3-1…
  • Scoham said:
    Time to put them back into a 4-3-3/4-2-3-1…
    Yep and scrap that list of wing backs......
  • I think there's almost zero chance of any of the out of contract players resigning if we offer them a contract (JFC a side who with recent injuries may find other offers hard to come by).
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Given Sandgaard's comments today about the high press, I cant believe that Washington hasnt been given a deal at least... Amongst the current squad - There is probably no one who does it better from the front than him.
    Without being critical of Stockley because I think he is capable of scoring 20+ goals next season. How does he fit into a high press? His game is not based around running and being good against a low block. Adamant that Jacko strategy was based around maximising Stockley strengths.
    Thomas has repeatedly mentioned high presses and not playing long ball but how does Chuks, Stockley, Fraser, Lavelle et al fit into that?

Confused and complicated recruitment has caused compromise and and confused way of playing. 
    Spot on. Although it cannot be confusing this summer. I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever that Sandgaard and his son, with Gallen negotiating will be signing the players this summer. I don't think he is bothered about rushing into an appointment because any manager will receive the players he wants and do their best with them.
  • wmcf123 said:
    Well this entire thread need a a revamp.. RIP 352
    Do you not think he played 352 due to the shortcomings of the squad?  No striker that could play up front on his own, immobile centre halves, lack of quality in the midfield?  
    We’ll never know for sure but I don’t think so.  I think the idea was that we’ve got out this league twice playing 2 up top both times.  Coupled with the modern idea that 442 is dated, 352 seemed the logical go-to.  IMO anyway.