Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sandgaard's dilemma

The longer we're down here the harder it'll be to get up.  

A bystander who witnessed today's capitulation would see that set of players and current set up is not likely to be conducive to attaining the "top 2" target of next season or even the unfavourable lottery of the playoffs via top 6.

Sandgaard may have been naïve and lacked insight in the past couple of years about the challenge he took on but he's no fool and he's been engaged enough in our club in this time to know that what he and we have seen today and for vast patches of this turgid season is a long way off where we all want to be.

He had no choice in the climate of back then to appoint Jackson whose caretaker heroics took the heat off the whole Adkins disaster and we had "one of our own" turning things around.  The calls from many of us (the vast majority?) including myself as well as Curbs, Minto, Quest pundits and the wider football world to give him the permanent gig made it it taboo to consider anything else short of prising Klopp or Guardiola away from the north west. 

Anything different would have likely seen a mutiny and a loss of the remarkable amount of good will TS garnered when he rode in and saw the wrong uns off in style and gave us a semblance of hope for a more optimistic future.  For whatever reason, players giving up, not being up to it, a limited manager, other clubs sussing us or a combination of elements of all but it is clear that we need significant change to have any chance of avoiding another season like this let along finish in the top tier of an increasingly competitive league where we are decreasingly a big fish in a small pond with each passing season and the arrival of bigger, hungrier and better equipped fish.

This transfer window and pre season is arguably the most important of our recent history....get it wrong...or anything but utterly perfect...and our slim chances of escaping this league next season becomes infinitesimal.

The natives who are demanding at the best of times and still stuck in the Curb's era and we will likely struggle to acclimatise to the fact that we are now an established 3rd division team in a fantastic, rented ;-( , stadium and many will vote with their feet as is natural attrition when you establish yourself in a lower tier with little prospects of changing things.

Also I can't imagine TS will be keen on losing his fortune each season with little prospect of a return or success indefinitely so he will be keen to get things right as soon as possible.  Despite admirable notions of being in it for the long term wealth is finite and 3rd division football clubs with expectant fan bases are money pits.

Dilemma for Tommy tonight is where do we go from here.  Do he or his senior management have the insight or knowledge to identify and entice a new manager who will turn things round and bring in a squad of players and mould them in the next 8 weeks to promotion hopefuls?

Jackson and Adkins haven't been able to get a consistent run of form out of this set of players and therefore logic suggests it will require such a revision.  Or do you twist again that another man could shape a team of winners out of a bunch of players that have whimpered their way through the majority of this term.

Does he stick with Jackson as rigidly as the latter does with his failed 3-5-2 at all costs approach and gamble that investing a substantial budget into revising a squads will be a wise one given the relative inexperience and questionable tactical capability he currently has in the number 1 role along with a coaching team that have not necessarily inspired beyond our affinity to them as Charlton legends of yore?

Does playing it safe and giving fans' favourite JJ this most important of summers and funds to shape his squad pay dividends or backfire and come October a new man is inheriting what has been assembled to try and eek out something better.

It is a huge dilemma for TS.  I don't know what to do and I've followed us inside out for 35 + years and it's not my cash that will be burned or me facing the fan feedback if success proves as fleeting and evasive next season.

I don't envy him tonight.

Comments

• I think we all wanted Jacks to be given a chance. 

He was, and he seemingly took it ( can’t argue with results when he was caretaker) but maybe it was just the new manager bounce. 

Personally would like him to be given a proper pre season and bring in the players to fit the system he wants to play and see how he goes. 
  • I wish I had something to add to your excellent article Rodney, so I’ll just give you a LOL
  • Very interesting & thoughtful posts and I agree with each & every one of them. 

I agree it's now time for TS to realise he has bitten off more than he can chew and he has to either shit or get off the pot. Yes, you could get lucky with a few shrewd signings, scrape into the play offs & win them. But generally you need to spend money to assemble a good squad of players & last seasons meagre signings showed how not to do it. There has to be a radical change if thinking & if that doesn't happen I think next season will be more of the same.

So, if he is going to keep Jacko as manager he has to back him 110%......and if Jacko then fails there can be no complaints as to who is to blame. Sign your no 1 players in the positions you need & bring them in early. That means spending big & not waiting around until mid August whilst the player mulls over their options. Easier said than done perhaps but Wigan & MK Dons done it. 

• When Powell came in he went 442 and took a squad from 4th to 13th. That 2nd half of the season was atrocious and if I recall correctly included the away day at Dagenham. As a fanbase we were making the exact same noises. CP needed to go, we can't play 442, legends don't make managers etc etc. Despite this Powell was insistent there was a way to play to get us out of the league.

By game 5 of the following season we were top. By 46 we had a record equalling 101 points in a league that included both Sheffield clubs, Huddersfield and an upward trending Bournemouth. Most other seasons the 2 Sheffield clubs would have won the league with their respective point hauls. We pissed it.

The following year we finished 9th. This still stands as our best league position since 2006/2007. 

Maybe this disaster of a season is JJ moving from one balls up to another. Maybe he's seen how you get out of this league and take a run up at the next one.

This squad is absolute shit. To me, the manager looks like he's trying to emulate the success we've had in the past.
  • edited May 2022
    Laughable that some people are STILL backing Jackson for next season. What part of TotallyOutOfOnesDepth do they not understand? 

I suspect Sandman wants a yes man. Adkins and JJ aren't disagreeable personalities. Adkins was an excruciating Blair character. And JJ just doesn't have a personality at all. 

I wonder if a Ferguson, Keane or Terry type character came along whether Sandman would overlook them? 

There are many very good managers out there. It's time to hire one of them. No Blairite cack, no "but I was the captain here so I must be a good manager" cack. Just a very good manager and motivator of men (however disagreeable he may be!)  

Weird post.

Im backing JJ for next season, I understand what “outhisdepthmeans” I just don’t agree with it at this point.

He inherited a shite squad full of demotivated players, from a manager that just bought players without knowing his formation never mind XI.  

Wtf is Blairite cack and how it relates to JJ is beyond me, maybe try the politics thread pal.

Ill take the arguments against JJ being here next season as some have reasonable points, but unless you think this current squad is good and JJ has just not made the most of it, it doesn’t make a great deal of sense, if the squad is totally shite which most agree on, how can you blame JJ?  Apart from not changing formation, but they’re still shite in a 433 or 442, we’ve still got largely anonymous midfielders and slow defenders either way.
    There is a boat load of fair criticism you can give Adkins but those two aren't true. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I have my doubts that what backroom staff we have, have sufficient knowledge on recommending a decent replacement.
    Steve Avory perhaps.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Laughable that some people are STILL backing Jackson for next season. What part of TotallyOutOfOnesDepth do they not understand? 

I suspect Sandman wants a yes man. Adkins and JJ aren't disagreeable personalities. Adkins was an excruciating Blair character. And JJ just doesn't have a personality at all. 

I wonder if a Ferguson, Keane or Terry type character came along whether Sandman would overlook them? 

There are many very good managers out there. It's time to hire one of them. No Blairite cack, no "but I was the captain here so I must be a good manager" cack. Just a very good manager and motivator of men (however disagreeable he may be!)  

Weird post.

Im backing JJ for next season, I understand what “outhisdepthmeans” I just don’t agree with it at this point.

He inherited a shite squad full of demotivated players, from a manager that just bought players without knowing his formation never mind XI.  

Wtf is Blairite cack and how it relates to JJ is beyond me, maybe try the politics thread pal.

Ill take the arguments against JJ being here next season as some have reasonable points, but unless you think this current squad is good and JJ has just not made the most of it, it doesn’t make a great deal of sense, if the squad is totally shite which most agree on, how can you blame JJ?  Apart from not changing formation, but they’re still shite in a 433 or 442, we’ve still got largely anonymous midfielders and slow defenders either way.
    There is a boat load of fair criticism you can give Adkins but those two aren't true. 
    You think?  He played several formations didn’t he?  He even said himself after one game from memory that he’s still finding out his formation and XI (something along those lines).  
  • edited May 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:

Weird post.

You think?  He played several formations didn’t he?  He even said himself after one game from memory that he’s still finding out his formation and XI (something along those lines).  
    Wasn't the whole point that he admitted he didn't get to pick the players we bought? He didn't meet them til they has signed or something 
  • edited May 2022
    Croydon said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Weird post.

Wasn't the whole point that he admitted he didn't get to pick the players we bought? He didn't meet them til they has signed or something 
    I don't remember hearing that. Should have walked if true. 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Croydon said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Weird post.

I'm sure he said it about at least one player, can't remember who. That's when the black box first came into light
  • Croydon said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Croydon said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Weird post.

I'm sure he said it about at least one player, can't remember who. That's when the black box first came into light
    Dobson probably 
  • Cafc43v3r said:

Weird post.

Over the two seasons he played the same formation every game, bar 2 (Accrington and Wycombe away).  He didn't buy any of the players.  He may have recommended 1 or 2.

He didn't know his best XI because half his squad turned up not match fit (including Purrington and Gilbey) after the season started.  We were still basically having our preseason in September.

He deserved the sack for the Bolton, Lincoln and Accrington performances, or non performances, but I don't think he had a "fair crack" and any manager would have struggled in the circumstances. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Weird post.

Over the two seasons he played the same formation every game, bar 2 (Accrington and Wycombe away).  He didn't buy any of the players.  He may have recommended 1 or 2.

He didn't know his best XI because half his squad turned up not match fit (including Purrington and Gilbey) after the season started.  We were still basically having our preseason in September.

He deserved the sack for the Bolton, Lincoln and Accrington performances, or non performances, but I don't think he had a "fair crack" and any manager would have struggled in the circumstances. 
    He played a weird 442 with Morgan and Watson in the midfield for several games from memory, he played a 433 with Washington out wide (which Washington complained about indirectly via SLP), he also played 4321 towards the end of the last season, which actually worked in fairness.

The stuff about not picking his own players is terrible if true, I’m not sure on the substance of it, not saying you’re wrong but is it concrete?

Things are far from great under Jackson but he did so much better than Atkins, all circumstances considered.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Weird post.

He played a weird 442 with Morgan and Watson in the midfield for several games from memory, he played a 433 with Washington out wide (which Washington complained about indirectly via SLP), he also played 4321 towards the end of the last season, which actually worked in fairness.

The stuff about not picking his own players is terrible if true, I’m not sure on the substance of it, not saying you’re wrong but is it concrete?

Things are far from great under Jackson but he did so much better than Atkins, all circumstances considered.
    I think the only time he played that 442 was the last 20 minutes against Wigan at home, when he brought on Washington.  Other than the 352 he played twice it was always a 433/4231/4321.

Flat 4, 3 center mids, 2 wingers and a center foward.  

I can tell you with 95% confidence that at least 1 player we signed in the summer Adkins did not want at all and the player knew that as well.  We also renewed a contract for a player that Adkins had already told would be released. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Dazzler21 said:
    Croydon said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Weird post.

Agreed, but walking out on a tidy contract is not something people should do, unless you can afford to.
  • A chunk of moaning followed with immediate high expectations...is counter productive.

All footballers are over paid at least a little bit, but our squad of players aren't machines. They are just people.

Don't over exaggerate on the negative aspects. You will be doing yourself and the club no favours.

It's frustrating, yes, but the season was more or less already over after just 20 games. We started off very badly and it's good news that we eventually just finished midtable.

I completely agree that all managers should have direct control over incoming and outgoing transfers. That way, the individual will be fully invested in the job with the required control, and it will mean so much more.

The head coach thing is a load of bollocks and it only causes problems....like it has done every since Dowie got appointed!!!
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Croydon said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Weird post.

Agreed, but walking out on a tidy contract is not something people should do, unless you can afford to.
    I disagree. If you feel that you've been lied to & then not listened to when you try to explain why your team is in the bottom 4 then I'm all for telling all & sundry (inc the owner) the reasons why & then walking (akin to a mic drop). Tell it as it is. Fans will have more respect for you rather than coming out with the same old bollox after every defeat. 
  • sam3110 said:
    My problem with JJ is his inability to deviate from the plan.

352 is clearly what he wants to play, but throughout the season we showed just how inept we were at it, inherited squad not withstanding. 

Will a Jacko led squad, with his recruitment, lead us to the championship? I doubt it, based on his inability to adapt and change according to the opposition. 

I am in a position where I don't mind if he stays and builds his own side, but equally if he was replaced in the summer, I honestly couldn't give a toss, he has been the epitomy of mediocre so far
    I agree with this, but he is an inexperienced manager and needs the chance to show what he can do with backing. Sometimes, when all of your decent strikers are out injured, you have to change to something else through necessity and he didn't. But hopefully he will put a squad together where this will not be an issue.
  • Watching the Gillingham game yesterday, after the game, Neil Harris gave a very frank interview to Sky absolutely slating the club, its players and its recruiting process. He went on to say how he would completely remodel the club and turn it around (honestly if you get a chance to watch it, you’ll maybe rethink your opinion of him).
    It seems to me that if Jacko Is the one to carry on leading us, it’s what he needs to do because something is deeply wrong within the club.
  • Roll on the first signing / renegotiated contract being held up as a sign of our lack of ambition or prospects. 
  • edited May 2022
    good analysis, however the plain fact is that for us to get anywhere Sandy needs to put in a lot of money for, to state the obvious, bringing in far better players than we have at present and a management team that knows the lower leagues ..
    I reckon Sandy has good intentions for us but has either:
     a) not got the necessary funds to supply what is needed, or much more damningly
     b) is using CAFC as a plaything and was totally unaware of what was need to get us back on track.  As @blackpool72 said way back when, he's bitten off far more than he can comfortably chew.

Rumours abound that he is looking to sell, that would not surprise me at all. The issue is, who else would be prepared to buy us ?. In the current financial climate, no-one is my guess