Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sandgaard's dilemma

2»

Comments

• Options
    good analysis, however the plain fact is that for us to get anywhere Sandy needs to put in a lot of money for, to state the obvious, bringing in far better players than we have at present and a management team that knows the lower leagues ..
    I reckon Sandy has good intentions for us but has either:
     a) not got the necessary funds to supply what is needed, or much more damningly
     b) is using CAFC as a plaything and was totally unaware of what was need to get us back on track.  As @blackpool72 said way back when, he's bitten off far more than he can comfortably chew.

Rumours abound that he is looking to sell, that would not surprise me at all. The issue is, who else would be prepared to buy us ?. In the current financial climate, no-one is my guess
    We don't need to spend more, we need to spend better.  There are dozens of players who would be more useful (not necessarily better) that would have been cheaper than Arter, Watson, Gunter, Souare, Leko, Kirk, Shwartz etc etc. 
  • Options
    cafckev said:
    Watching the Gillingham game yesterday, after the game, Neil Harris gave a very frank interview to Sky absolutely slating the club, its players and its recruiting process. He went on to say how he would completely remodel the club and turn it around (honestly if you get a chance to watch it, you’ll maybe rethink your opinion of him).
    It seems to me that if Jacko Is the one to carry on leading us, it’s what he needs to do because something is deeply wrong within the club.
    Why do you assume that we have a low opinion of him now?
    I've always, albeit reluctantly, liked him. He seems a frank person and a very good manager.
  • Options
    cafckev said:
    Watching the Gillingham game yesterday, after the game, Neil Harris gave a very frank interview to Sky absolutely slating the club, its players and its recruiting process. He went on to say how he would completely remodel the club and turn it around (honestly if you get a chance to watch it, you’ll maybe rethink your opinion of him).
    It seems to me that if Jacko Is the one to carry on leading us, it’s what he needs to do because something is deeply wrong within the club.
    Harris’s interview was interesting but Scally may recognise that to keep him he has to give him his head. I find it hard to imagine TS employing an experienced manager with a similar plan, which may be the problem.
    You say that but at the end of the day if you are the person spending £m's every year eventually you might realise you need to bite the bullet and trust someone to achieve what is required to stem the flow
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Laughable that some people are STILL backing Jackson for next season. What part of TotallyOutOfOnesDepth do they not understand? 

I suspect Sandman wants a yes man. Adkins and JJ aren't disagreeable personalities. Adkins was an excruciating Blair character. And JJ just doesn't have a personality at all. 

I wonder if a Ferguson, Keane or Terry type character came along whether Sandman would overlook them? 

There are many very good managers out there. It's time to hire one of them. No Blairite cack, no "but I was the captain here so I must be a good manager" cack. Just a very good manager and motivator of men (however disagreeable he may be!)  

Weird post.

Im backing JJ for next season, I understand what “outhisdepthmeans” I just don’t agree with it at this point.

He inherited a shite squad full of demotivated players, from a manager that just bought players without knowing his formation never mind XI.  

Wtf is Blairite cack and how it relates to JJ is beyond me, maybe try the politics thread pal.

Ill take the arguments against JJ being here next season as some have reasonable points, but unless you think this current squad is good and JJ has just not made the most of it, it doesn’t make a great deal of sense, if the squad is totally shite which most agree on, how can you blame JJ?  Apart from not changing formation, but they’re still shite in a 433 or 442, we’ve still got largely anonymous midfielders and slow defenders either way.
    There is a boat load of fair criticism you can give Adkins but those two aren't true. 
    You think?  He played several formations didn’t he?  He even said himself after one game from memory that he’s still finding out his formation and XI (something along those lines).  
    Over the two seasons he played the same formation every game, bar 2 (Accrington and Wycombe away).  He didn't buy any of the players.  He may have recommended 1 or 2.

He didn't know his best XI because half his squad turned up not match fit (including Purrington and Gilbey) after the season started.  We were still basically having our preseason in September.

He deserved the sack for the Bolton, Lincoln and Accrington performances, or non performances, but I don't think he had a "fair crack" and any manager would have struggled in the circumstances. 
    I wanted Adkins gone but we had a really difficult start to the season, Sheff W, Oxford U, MKD & Wigan.
    They looked tough at the time, but with hindsight 4th, 8th, 3rd & Champions.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Laughable that some people are STILL backing Jackson for next season. What part of TotallyOutOfOnesDepth do they not understand? 

I suspect Sandman wants a yes man. Adkins and JJ aren't disagreeable personalities. Adkins was an excruciating Blair character. And JJ just doesn't have a personality at all. 

I wonder if a Ferguson, Keane or Terry type character came along whether Sandman would overlook them? 

There are many very good managers out there. It's time to hire one of them. No Blairite cack, no "but I was the captain here so I must be a good manager" cack. Just a very good manager and motivator of men (however disagreeable he may be!)  

Weird post.

Im backing JJ for next season, I understand what “outhisdepthmeans” I just don’t agree with it at this point.

He inherited a shite squad full of demotivated players, from a manager that just bought players without knowing his formation never mind XI.  

Wtf is Blairite cack and how it relates to JJ is beyond me, maybe try the politics thread pal.

Ill take the arguments against JJ being here next season as some have reasonable points, but unless you think this current squad is good and JJ has just not made the most of it, it doesn’t make a great deal of sense, if the squad is totally shite which most agree on, how can you blame JJ?  Apart from not changing formation, but they’re still shite in a 433 or 442, we’ve still got largely anonymous midfielders and slow defenders either way.
    There is a boat load of fair criticism you can give Adkins but those two aren't true. 
    You think?  He played several formations didn’t he?  He even said himself after one game from memory that he’s still finding out his formation and XI (something along those lines).  
    Over the two seasons he played the same formation every game, bar 2 (Accrington and Wycombe away).  He didn't buy any of the players.  He may have recommended 1 or 2.

He didn't know his best XI because half his squad turned up not match fit (including Purrington and Gilbey) after the season started.  We were still basically having our preseason in September.

He deserved the sack for the Bolton, Lincoln and Accrington performances, or non performances, but I don't think he had a "fair crack" and any manager would have struggled in the circumstances. 
    I wanted Adkins gone but we had a really difficult start to the season, Sheff W, Oxford U, MKD & Wigan.
    It was a tough start and proved to be where those clubs finished but every member of the squad has said the same thing that it just didn’t work out and was never going to.

There are some things as fans we don’t know about but Adkins was culpable for the start of the season. Some thought he was going to go after the Wycombe game when the away end was toxic before Lavelle scored. 
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Weird post.

It was a tough start and proved to be where those clubs finished but every member of the squad has said the same thing that it just didn’t work out and was never going to.

There are some things as fans we don’t know about but Adkins was culpable for the start of the season. Some thought he was going to go after the Wycombe game when the away end was toxic before Lavelle scored. 
    Hideous attitude throughout this squad. 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Croydon said:
    Sage said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Weird post.

Agree. Something seems different with this group of players. We have a lot stealing a living, we have had this in the past of course (as in players that are not good enough). It might just be me, but the body language with this lot is a disgrace - they look and perform like they don’t give a shit. I can’t handle players that aren’t particularly good, but not putting effort is is inexcusable in my book.  They need an almighty kick up the backside or binning off - I’m not sure Jackson has that in his locker - it’s all a bit “jobs for the boys” imo.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Sage said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Weird post.

Why? He lost the dressing room, he allowed standards to drop and made those standards acceptable. Senior players should’ve stepped up but when the manager sets that tone it’s never going to work.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    The dilemma is to carry on playing football manager or not. 

From the march CASTRUST Q&A Sandgaard said Jackson was here for 2.5 years initially, then spoke of the performance, incentive based contract and the reviews, extensions  and cost to sackings,/ leavings. He also specifically mentioned how expensive it was sacking off Adkins hence this contract. Jackson is going nowhere soon imo. Rightly or wrongly.

So, with that in mind, stop dicking about watching scouting videos and pointing to stats to make sure that the players arent the ones chasing the long ball and let Jackson be in the driving seat of recruitment, the current setup got us into this mess, it won't get us out.

I'm not massively sold on Jackson, like Adkins he isn't solely to blame but like Adkins, he never offered a solution during the very low points and imo he wasn't able to squeeze that little bit extra out of probably, very average players, but with better recruitment we'll still make it towards the playoffs, we finished last season just out of them, for context, we spent most of the first half of that season with footballing genius Lee Bowyer playing Watson in midfield,Gunter and Pratley at CB and Bogle up front.

Better players, better squad, should by law of averages see us pick up more points and give better performances by default, less pressure on Jackson to maybe show a bit more from the dugout.

Maybe.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2022
    cafckev said:
    Harris may be right of course but I don't think it is always best to give interviews whilst angry.

Actions always speak louder than words. 
  • Options
    Most views here accept JJ's stubbornness in sticking to one system, his picking players in the wrong positions, his failure to inspire the team, and yet a good many think he should stay.  My view is that if you add his very strange attitude to using some loan players, then he has no credible case for being retained. Spurs in particular and maybe other top clubs will now hesitate in loaning out their best young players to us, and with good reason. Are you saying that a player who had played in European games with credit, wasn't good enough to be given a chance in a midfield, that is universally labelled in these posts as totally inadequate? Please bury your love for JJ as a former player and judge him as a current manager.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Weird post.

You have to also ask the question of why.  He was a dead man walking after the Wigan game.  1 point from 4 games because the players aren't good enough.  He knew it, I knew it, everyone knew it but it probably wasn't a good idea for someone to tell some of the players that that's what Adkins though. 
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Weird post.

Sounds like the players had made up their minds from the off then. 

Jackson as #2 waiting for Adkins to be pushed makes for an interesting dynamic with his mates as the players I'm sure. 
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Sage said:
    Croydon said:
    Sage said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Weird post.

Why? He lost the dressing room, he allowed standards to drop and made those standards acceptable. Senior players should’ve stepped up but when the manager sets that tone it’s never going to work.
    'Lost the dressing room' do me a favour. 3 managers on the spin they've essentially downed tools for at given points, and the performances at the end of Adkins' reign were nothing short of a disgrace. 

This squad is by no means the worst we've had in terms of ability, but their lack of pride and effort is evident. 
    The effort has been shambolic for chunks of this season. But the fact is he had lost the dressing room as he let standards get so low and made them acceptable. He gave too much information and made things confusing that no one really knew what they were meant to do of what he wanted.

Jackson came in and simplified things. Unfortunately, it wasn’t going to work with Adkins for a number of reasons. 
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Croydon said:
    Sage said:
    Croydon said:
    Sage said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Weird post.

'Lost the dressing room' do me a favour. 3 managers on the spin they've essentially downed tools for at given points, and the performances at the end of Adkins' reign were nothing short of a disgrace. 

This squad is by no means the worst we've had in terms of ability, but their lack of pride and effort is evident. 
    The effort has been shambolic for chunks of this season. But the fact is he had lost the dressing room as he let standards get so low and made them acceptable. He gave too much information and made things confusing that no one really knew what they were meant to do of what he wanted.

Jackson came in and simplified things. Unfortunately, it wasn’t going to work with Adkins for a number of reasons. 
    Not doubting the veracity of your argument, but the highlighted points seem so crassly inept I am amazed he had such a successful career in the past.
  • Options
    I don’t think sangard sees this as a dilemma. He is putting his faith in Jackson and the next six months. Jackson will be the 1st to walk if it does not work out by November.
    There is no other way around it. One thing is for sure; it isn’t just a few signings that are needed. 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    I don’t think sangard sees this as a dilemma. He is putting his faith in Jackson and the next six months. Jackson will be the 1st to walk if it does not work out by November.
    There is no other way around it. One thing is for sure; it isn’t just a few signings that are needed. 
    Jacko is as Charlton as you get but thinking he’ll walk if things aren’t going to plan, is I think naive.