Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New Charlton book - The Valiant 1000 part 1

The new book by lifer @killerjerrylee featuring the biographies and stats on all the Charlton first team players since 1921 A to H.

It even features V942 Tyreece Campbell and his unusual middle names.

Available from the museum or contact info@dixiefriedpublishing.co.uk

Comments

• Looks like a great piece of work, despite the misnomer ;) I shall be on to the museum for a copy right away.
  • Stig said:
    Looks like a great piece of work, despite the misnomer ;) I shall be on to the museum for a copy right away.
    Only if you do that timeline
  • I've started  :smiley:
  • Stig said:
    I've started  :smiley:
    Halleluiah 
  • Is there a link where I can buy a copy? 
  • Richard J said:
    Is there a link where I can buy a copy? 
    Available from the museum or contact info@dixiefriedpublishing.co.uk
  • Picked up my copy on the weekend. A mine of information , a great deal of research has been done. Well done Ian
  • Great for those of you who don't have The Valiant 500.  For those of us who do, can we get an Addendum?
  • I am sure thats tongue in cheek but this research by Ian is not an extention of the Valient 500.

Each player entry is far more detailed than Colins original book and a photo for every player as opposed to just a few. 

Fortunately the resources available now are far greater so as a three volume work, set out alphabetically, it will sit alongside or replaces the excellent Valiant 500 as opposed to being able to provide an addendum. 

Can't wait to get my copy when I next get to the museum 

• SE7toSG3 said:
    I am sure thats tongue in cheek but this research by Ian is not an extention of the Valient 500.

Each player entry is far more detailed than Colins original book and a photo for every player as opposed to just a few. 

Fortunately the resources available now are far greater so as a three volume work, set out alphabetically, it will sit alongside or replaces the excellent Valiant 500 as opposed to being able to provide an addendum. 

Can't wait to get my copy when I next get to the museum 

Agree 

I'll see if I can get you a discount 😄
  • Sponsored links:

• Great for those of you who don't have The Valiant 500.  For those of us who do, can we get an Addendum?
    You can get the addendum for £30 
  • Yep that's fair comment, it was harsh and Colins book was/remains an essential part to any Charlton library. 

I was being a little flippant/defensive to the suggestion of Ian's efforts amounting to an addendum when we both know the work that goes into writing. 
  • What an awesome piece of work by Ian, a must have for any true Addick if I may say so.
    I shall be getting one next time I am down in The Smoke. 🤗

• The book is already proving indispensable, most noticeably when a player you want to look up is not an A to H. Thankfully Ian is getting well ahead with Vols 2 and 3. A Charlton classic, highly recommended.

• edited May 2022
    Just received my copy. It builds on the Valiant 500 and is much more detailed. Well done @killerjerrylee

It has exceeded expectations. I love the detail about what players did after football and the quirky facts like ex Ipswich Keeper Richard Wright is Geoff Hammond's son in law and how other players with Charlton links had associations at other clubs. It appears that Jimmy Seed did appoint his favoured successor Benny Fenton as a manager. The problem is that it was at Millwall and not Charlton.

Can't wait for the next two editions.
  • It’s a great book 
  • I'm currently pondering whether to buy it for my Dad for Father's Day, or if he'll end up getting too impatient and buy it for himself first.
  • On sale in the museum every Friday.
  • Sponsored links:

• My daughter in law tried to obtain the book from the Museum but there is some hiccup apparently with regard to posting overseas.  She made another phone call and ended up talking to the author!  I hope she is successful getting the book (Fathers Day coming up) - really looking forward to reading it.
  • Museum has half a dozen copies in stock and we're open on Fridays 11 to 2.30

We're also expecting a delivery of the new "The Year of the Robin" book any time now.  
  • Can someone confirm address where you can purchase book from.

Also what is cost 

What hours are museum open please. 

Inquiring for a friend who helped with the valiant 500.
  • Send a email to

info@dixiefriedpublishing.co.uk

Only volume 1 of 3 is ready for now. First volume is £30 but what a book it is. 

• As per the flyer

£30 plus P & P if applicable 

Info@dixiefriedpublushing.co.uk

Museum open Fridays 11.00 to 2.30 and Saturday home games 11 to 1.00. Ian is usually there so you can get a signed copy

@Lewis Coaches

@killerjerrylee
  • Cheers will pass that on .
  • I have the Valiant 500 somewhere at home. Amazing how quickly we have got to 1,000.
  • edited July 2022
    I have the Valiant 500 somewhere at home. Amazing how quickly we have got to 1,000.
    That's the loan system and increased subs for you, amongst other things.

Anyone know what the least number of players to represent the first team in a season is? And the most?

I would guess something like 15 or 16 at one end and 40-45 at the other. 
  • It also counts youth players in that rubbish trophy for league 1&2 sides, which may be technically correct but makes a mockery of it.

Either way I won't be buying at that price, although recognising it is a sterling piece of work.