Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Chuks Aneke - speculation re 2023/24 season (p60)

edited August 2023 in Rumours
Feels worthy of its own thread.

Been reported by Sky’s Charlton-supporting correspondent so has some credibility.

Thoughts?

Comments

• edited January 2022
    Good to see the black box is working.

I'd welcome Chuks back, we've missed his goals, but why didn't we try harder to keep him in the summer...
  • Cawley confirmed. 
  • Has the physicality to make it harder for defenders. How fit is he?
  • length of contract  ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Belv said:
    £300k for a player that left for nothing only 5 months ago.

What a fantastic piece of business.
    It's not ideal but he didn't want to sign an extension at the time did he?
  • Wonder how much of a signing on fee we tried to offer when we wanted to renew his contract.

Cant imagine it would have been £300k

Be good to have him back, but also needs to show composure in front of goal

There were times last season where he was equally just as wasteful as the likes of Washington, e.g. remember him hitting the bar against Rochdale from within the six yard box.
  • From Cawley:

As per @BenRansomSky, Chuks Aneke on his way back to Charlton Athletic. Permanent deal.
    Probably in time to play tomorrow which would be a bonus for us.
  • Belv said:

No and there's another issue, if we're signing strikers that don't want to play for Charlton we should have tried harder for Taylor.
  • Love watching Chuks play, as mentioned he is absolutely dynamite when on the pitch, and a real joy to watch. Sadly, for me that does not happen enough.

I know he comes with his massive upsides to performances and points returns, but I can’t help but feel we are falling back down some slippery slopes bringing him back. Hopefully we are also planning on bringing in another quality striker as well, which will then make me feel much more assured. 
  • Sponsored links:

• If he has sorted out his fitness issues, he is a player who can help us get out of this league next season.
  • I mean I love Chuks as a player he's great entertainment value, but it doesn't really speak to some great direction that we're losing a player on a free, signing him back for a fee in terms of holding onto players, and the depths of our scouting department...
  • Belv said:

but now he does.

Cynics might say that he tried the Championship & was found wanting
  • _MrDick said:
    I’d have him back. Better option than Josh Davison 
    Yeah I'd now loan out Davison (if he's registered) and bring in someone like Dempsey
  • Is it possible to be both underwhelmed and whelmed by a transfer? Great player (in this league) on his day, struggles to do 90 mins, happy it's a permanent deal but paying for someone we lost on a free does sting a bit. 
  • I’m not really focused on the financials as none of us will know the details.

But from a team / squad perspective, if it’s a permanent deal then is Chuks a player that will improve our squad with an eye to delivering a promotion season next year? 

Do people think the answer to that is yes?
    having him in the squad rather than not can only be a positive thing to my mind coz even if he only plays half hour, there isn't a game changer like it in our team - it doesn't solve the immediate Stockley injury issue necessarily but if assembling 'artillary' fo next season, i think its a good move. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!