Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Papa John's Trophy quarter-final draw

Comments

• Options
    wonder if Sky show any of this round - looking at that draw it could easily be us
    It’s a shorter trip to Sutton for their camera crew etc
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    If we win and Wigan win I may show more interest in the comp as all the U21s will have left it.  Good draw.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Dansk_Red said:
    All the ties are North v South what is the odds of that happening?.
    I calculate it to be an 8 in 35 chance (or just under 23%).
  • Options
    Could be a record low away following!
    Nah. Operation Hartlepool.
    7k at least.
    How big is their stadium?
  • Options
    wonder if Sky show any of this round - looking at that draw it could easily be us
    Not if they’ve got any sense 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Nah. Operation Hartlepool.
    7k at least.
    How big is their stadium?
    Victoria Park (Hartlepool) - Wikipedia
  • Options
    I'm definitely there
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    SE7toSG3 said:
    Will go to that, surprised to learn from Jim White that the last playoff final for Charlton 'didn't end well' 
    I picked up on three factual inaccuracies between White and Jordan in the 20-or-so minutes I caught this morning, and nobody corrected them.  How can they keep running a show like that with so much misinformation?
  • Options
    Hartlepool put out 9 first team players against Bolton who played a near full strength team and beat them 1-0, on paper it might look like a good / favourable draw but it’s actually not, at all.

In fact quite the opposite to a good draw, before you even factor in the long away trip, at least with Wigan / Rotherham you would expect them to have a larger squad and rotate their usual players like we have been, Hartlepool might be in the league below but their players will likely relish a day out at Wembley a little more than Ben Watson and the kids will.
    Not to mention that Hartlepool already knocked Sheffield Wednesday out of this cup, and also knocked Wycombe and Lincoln out of the FA cup. Plus no team in league two has picked up more points than them at home this season. It's only because their away record is so abysmal (4 points in 11 games) that they're in the bottom half.
  • Options
    Hope we play the first team for this, only thing we have going this season now. 
  • Options
    Hartlepool put out 9 first team players against Bolton who played a near full strength team and beat them 1-0, on paper it might look like a good / favourable draw but it’s actually not, at all.

In fact quite the opposite to a good draw, before you even factor in the long away trip, at least with Wigan / Rotherham you would expect them to have a larger squad and rotate their usual players like we have been, Hartlepool might be in the league below but their players will likely relish a day out at Wembley a little more than Ben Watson and the kids will.
    They're 15th in League Two, if we are worried about not beating them we are in real trouble 
    Where would the team we put out on Tuesday and the other rounds be placed in the pyramid? Hard to say where but by definition they would be lower than half way in the 3rd Division, so will be a tough test for them away to a 4th Division 1st team. 
  • Options

They're 15th in League Two, if we are worried about not beating them we are in real trouble 
    Three points behind the one club that have beaten us in the competition this year

Albeit the one game we've taken less seriously than any other

Thankfully Hartlepool have a pretty horrendous record against us in general
  • Options
    The FL Trophy has a history of mid-table or lower League 2 teams getting to the final. Growing up in Essex I remember Colchester getting to the final while mid-table in the old Div.3 in the late 90s, and Southend getting there when near the bottom of League 2 in the 00s. Lets not get too complacent! 
  • Options
    That would be some achievement considering our efforts over the years.
  • Options
    Anyone know what our lowest is in the past 25 or so years? @oohaahmortimer maybe?

I was at Oldham when we had 183 of us I think, but feel like we took only 150 to Hartlepool midweek ten-ish year ago?
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    SE7toSG3 said:
    Will go to that, surprised to learn from Jim White that the last playoff final for Charlton 'didn't end well' 
    I picked up on three factual inaccuracies between White and Jordan in the 20-or-so minutes I caught this morning, and nobody corrected them.  How can they keep running a show like that with so much misinformation?
    Because you & others (me included) keep listening!

All about listener / audience numbers and adverts sold I imagine
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    SE7toSG3 said:
    Because, as with the media generally nowadays, nobody corrects them.
  • Options
    SE7toSG3 said:
    If it's good enough for Boris. 
  • Options
    Great that the two remaining u21 sides blow themselves out. 

• Options
    RedPanda said:
    Anyone know what our lowest is in the past 25 or so years? @oohaahmortimer maybe?

I was at Oldham when we had 183 of us I think, but feel like we took only 150 to Hartlepool midweek ten-ish year ago?
    64 at Burnley in 96 for the League Cup. 

I would guess Swansea U23 in this comp would have been the lowest
  • Options
    SE7toSG3 said:

I’ve been a habitual Talkshite listeners for many moons going back to the halcyon days of Brazil and Parry.  To be honest I’ve almost stopped listening now. I can take a bit of McCoist and Woods and I enjoy Jordan for his forthrightness (if you’re gonna bullshit do it with complete conviction) and can tolerate White because he is now a funny parody of himself.  But the adverts and trailers are simply killing me. I just can’t bear it. Especially that Cinch one with the toothy guy that can’t pronounce his t’s. Does my head in.  And they are about every five minutes. I know it’s how they make their money but I just can’t great it. Can’t bear ITV Hub either for the same reason.  
  • Options
    SE7toSG3 said:

I’ve been a habitual Talkshite listeners for many moons going back to the halcyon days of Brazil and Parry.  To be honest I’ve almost stopped listening now. I can take a bit of McCoist and Woods and I enjoy Jordan for his forthrightness (if you’re gonna bullshit do it with complete conviction) and can tolerate White because he is now a funny parody of himself.  But the adverts and trailers are simply killing me. I just can’t bear it. Especially that Cinch one with the toothy guy that can’t pronounce his t’s. Does my head in.  And they are about every five minutes. I know it’s how they make their money but I just can’t great it. Can’t bear ITV Hub either for the same reason.  
    If you listen (watch) on YouTube there are no ads, because they aren't allowed.
  • Options

You tell me which of these three sides you would rather face...

Wigan: Amos, Darikwa, Whatmough, Tilt, Pearce, Power, Naylor, Massey, Lang, Edwards, Keane

Rotherham: Vickers, Edmonds-Green, Ihiekwe, Mattock, Harding, Lindsay, Odofin, Bola, Sadlier, Smith, Grigg

Hartlepool: Killip, Jones, Byrne, Odusina, Francis-Angol, Crawford, Smith, Daly, Olomola, Molyneux, Grey

If you're expecting Wigan and Rotherham to rotate and take it easy, you'll be wrong. Those are the (relatively) strong sides that they put out in the last round.

One of the League 2 sides was the best draw we could hope for. At home would've been ideal but you can't have everything and we've just had the two previous rounds played at the Valley.

As already mentioned, if we're going up to Hartlepool worried about getting beat, we're in big trouble.
  • Options
    Hope Wigan turn over the under 23's
  • Options
    I very much have enjoyed this competition this year.

Firstly, because I have not cared about the results so much, I have found it generally quite relaxing to watch (though I will admit I turned the end of the MK Dons game off, and missed Leko's goal because I couldn't hack watching the penalties). But it has been nice to watch Charlton play without me feeling like I am going to have an aneurysm every time the opposition attack.

Secondly it has been nice to see some young players play, and follow their reaction on social media, as well as seeing some 'fringe players' and the return of Ryan Innis.