Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Papa John's Trophy quarter-final draw

Comments

• Options
    I fear an "unbelieveable Jeff!" coming on...

Good luck Addicks.
  • Options
    Hartlepool put out 9 first team players against Bolton who played a near full strength team and beat them 1-0, on paper it might look like a good / favourable draw but it’s actually not, at all.

In fact quite the opposite to a good draw, before you even factor in the long away trip, at least with Wigan / Rotherham you would expect them to have a larger squad and rotate their usual players like we have been, Hartlepool might be in the league below but their players will likely relish a day out at Wembley a little more than Ben Watson and the kids will.
    You tell me which of these three sides you would rather face...

Wigan: Amos, Darikwa, Whatmough, Tilt, Pearce, Power, Naylor, Massey, Lang, Edwards, Keane

Rotherham: Vickers, Edmonds-Green, Ihiekwe, Mattock, Harding, Lindsay, Odofin, Bola, Sadlier, Smith, Grigg

Hartlepool: Killip, Jones, Byrne, Odusina, Francis-Angol, Crawford, Smith, Daly, Olomola, Molyneux, Grey

If you're expecting Wigan and Rotherham to rotate and take it easy, you'll be wrong. Those are the (relatively) strong sides that they put out in the last round.

One of the League 2 sides was the best draw we could hope for. At home would've been ideal but you can't have everything and we've just had the two previous rounds played at the Valley.

As already mentioned, if we're going up to Hartlepool worried about getting beat, we're in big trouble.
    Wigan put out a strong side because they hadn't played a game since 18 December, so no doubt their manager wanted to give hist first XI some minutes. They probably wouldn't have been that strong otherwise.

I'm definitely not getting complacent though, Hartlepool away on a midweek in January isn't going to be an easy game, as proven by their cup results this season. 
  • Options
    clive said:
    J BLOCK said:
    I'll be there 
    So will i.
    Thought you might.
    Had £20  @ 1/1000
  • Options
    SE7toSG3 said:
    Will go to that, surprised to learn from Jim White that the last playoff final for Charlton 'didn't end well' 
    I picked up on three factual inaccuracies between White and Jordan in the 20-or-so minutes I caught this morning, and nobody corrected them.  How can they keep running a show like that with so much misinformation?
    Because you & others (me included) keep listening!

All about listener / audience numbers and adverts sold I imagine
    I’ve been a habitual Talkshite listeners for many moons going back to the halcyon days of Brazil and Parry.  To be honest I’ve almost stopped listening now. I can take a bit of McCoist and Woods and I enjoy Jordan for his forthrightness (if you’re gonna bullshit do it with complete conviction) and can tolerate White because he is now a funny parody of himself.  But the adverts and trailers are simply killing me. I just can’t bear it. Especially that Cinch one with the toothy guy that can’t pronounce his t’s. Does my head in.  And they are about every five minutes. I know it’s how they make their money but I just can’t great it. Can’t bear ITV Hub either for the same reason.  
    If you listen (watch) on YouTube there are no ads, because they aren't allowed.
    Cheers @Airman Brown. I’ll give it a go. 

• Options
    Could be a record low away following!
    You obviously weren't around in the 60s  :D
  • Options
    Hartlepool put out 9 first team players against Bolton who played a near full strength team and beat them 1-0, on paper it might look like a good / favourable draw but it’s actually not, at all.

In fact quite the opposite to a good draw, before you even factor in the long away trip, at least with Wigan / Rotherham you would expect them to have a larger squad and rotate their usual players like we have been, Hartlepool might be in the league below but their players will likely relish a day out at Wembley a little more than Ben Watson and the kids will.
    You tell me which of these three sides you would rather face...

Wigan: Amos, Darikwa, Whatmough, Tilt, Pearce, Power, Naylor, Massey, Lang, Edwards, Keane

Rotherham: Vickers, Edmonds-Green, Ihiekwe, Mattock, Harding, Lindsay, Odofin, Bola, Sadlier, Smith, Grigg

Hartlepool: Killip, Jones, Byrne, Odusina, Francis-Angol, Crawford, Smith, Daly, Olomola, Molyneux, Grey

If you're expecting Wigan and Rotherham to rotate and take it easy, you'll be wrong. Those are the (relatively) strong sides that they put out in the last round.

One of the League 2 sides was the best draw we could hope for. At home would've been ideal but you can't have everything and we've just had the two previous rounds played at the Valley.

As already mentioned, if we're going up to Hartlepool worried about getting beat, we're in big trouble.
    We're already going to Crewe & Cheltenham before the EFL trophy match. 

3 away defeats on the trot beckons. Add in Plymouth last month & Pompey at the end of this month then it could be 5 away defeats on the spin......🙃.
  • Options
    Not going then Golfie ?
  • Options
    I went to Bolton 1969 on a Lewis coach with about 40 on it lost 0-4 came back minus two windows replaced by hardboard. 
  • Options
    Acab said:
    I went to Bolton 1969 on a Lewis coach with about 40 on it lost 0-4 came back minus two windows replaced by hardboard. 
    And was with me in Blackpool 72.
    You have always been a wrongun 
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    It’s mad to think that some sides could be extremely successful by being promoted from League 1, to Championship, to Premier League - and never play at Wembley.

You only get the Wembley day out in the league if you’re placed between 3rd-6th. No Wembley trip for those sides who have performed better to finish in the top two.

Thats one of the reasons why this competition should be taken seriously. It’s not unrealistic to think we could go another 10/15/20 years without getting to Wembley otherwise.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This is our cup final.

Sorry, quarter final.
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    It’s mad to think that some sides could be extremely successful by being promoted from League 1, to Championship, to Premier League - and never play at Wembley.

You only get the Wembley day out in the league if you’re placed between 3rd-6th. No Wembley trip for those sides who have performed better to finish in the top two.

Thats one of the reasons why this competition should be taken seriously. It’s not unrealistic to think we could go another 10/15/20 years without getting to Wembley otherwise.
    A Wembley day doesn't mean much if its in a tinpot trophy which doesn't mean anything. Useless competition 
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Wembley is shit now though.  It's a football theme park where most of the punters are big day out tourists who don't have the attention span to watch more than 45 minutes without popping out for fucking chips.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

A Wembley day doesn't mean much if its in a tinpot trophy which doesn't mean anything. Useless competition 
    Suit yourself. No doubt you’ll be there though.
  • Options
    Wembley is shit now though.  It's a football theme park where most of the punters are big day out tourists who don't have the attention span to watch more than 45 minutes without popping out for fucking chips.
    When it involves England games and community shield matches and other friendless then absolutely I agree.

But it’s a different experience altogether when you have two clubs that appreciate being there.
  • Options
    It weren’t bad during the Euros either 
  • Options
    The return cost on the train is £34! That’s ridiculously cheap….
  • Options
    SE7toSG3 said:
    Will go to that, surprised to learn from Jim White that the last playoff final for Charlton 'didn't end well' 
    Yes they all ended up with massive hangovers!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2022
    Can assure the last 4 times I’ve been at Wembley for Charlton v Sunderland + England v Germany/Denmark/Italy games were nothing like that. 
  • Options
    If we made Wembley and were playing v an U21s I would not go.  
    If we were playing another league team I most likely would.

• Options
    You're definitely confusing England friendlies or games v shit like Andorra and San Marino with actual competitive games.
  • Options
    It just doesn't get any bigger than this.
  • Options
    Unfortunately. 
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    I know it’s not the best completion, but should we reach the final I can’t get my head around people not wanting to go and see Charlton at Wembley.  It doesn’t happen very often. 3 times in fact in my 39 years of suffering Charlton Athletic. The first time was pretty dire, but was my first time at Wembley so was kind of special - despite the result.  
    It’s not like we will get to an FA Cup final or League Cup final anytime soon. 
    Make the most of it I say.
    There’s two teams between us and Wembley so it’s still a bit premature to be talking about it but if there are those that want to declare it’s a crap tournament and they won’t go to Wembley out of principle then that’s their loss. Plenty of us would go and no doubt share the photos, clips and stories over and over again afterwards for them to see what they missed out on because of a principle of their own making
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Whilst I agree it is a tinpot trophy we are only in it because we are in a tinpot league, unfortunately the two go hand in hand. From my perspective I would rather see us play the likes of Wigan at Wembley than in another L1 fixture and from a players perspective for many a tinpot trophy might be their only chance of a Wembley appearance.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    two more relegations and we get to salivate about a Wembley appearance in The fa vase or fa trophy or whatever other stuff becomes available to the shittier teams in the footballing pyramid