Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Four hats

edited January 2022 in Fun, Jokes & Captions
Don't give away the answer.  Just say whether you can work it out or not.  

Four prisoners are offered a chance to have their sentences reduced.  To win this reward, one of them has to solve a puzzle.  If one of them gets it right, they all go free: if any of them gets it wrong, each of them has their sentence doubled.  

Each man is blindfolded and has a hat put on his head.  They are all told that there are two black hats and two white hats.  The prisoners are lined up.  The first - "a" - is on a high box, so, when his blindflold is removed he will be able to see the two in front of him.  The next one - "b" - is on a lower box, so he will only be able to see the one in front of him.  The third - "c" - is standing on the ground, facing a wall.  The fourth - "d" is the other side of the wall and cannot see anyone, even when his blindfold is removed.   

When their blindfolds are removed, "a" can see "b" and "c"; "b" can see "c"; but neither "c" nor "d" can see anyone.  None of the prisoners can see themselves. They are not allowed to turn around or to speak to each other. 

The puzzle they have to solve is for one of them correctly to shout out the colour of hat they are wearing. 

Their blindfolds are removed simultaneously.  Who guesses their own hat colour correctly, first, "a", "b", "c" or "d"? 

Comments

• edited January 2022
    Yup.
  • You possibly missed the first line of the post
  • C and d cannot possibly know the answer. 

Not worked it out yet, but if b and c wearing different colours, then a can only guess. 

However if b and c in same colour, then a knows the answer.  
  • stonemuse said:
    C and d cannot possibly know the answer. 

Not worked it out yet, but if b and c wearing different colours, then a can only guess. 

So if a is silent, b knows that c had the opposite colour to his own?
  • stonemuse said:
    stonemuse said:

So if a is silent, b knows that c had the opposite colour to his own?
    Therefore it’s a if he sees b and c have the same, but b otherwise. 
  • D should be the quickest to work it out because he was the one who was smart enough to rumble Roly.
  • Chizz said:
    You possibly missed the first line of the post
    Looks like everyone missed it.
  • B
    If A didn’t call out, then that tells B that he’s hat is a different colour to C.
  • It seems this is much, much harder than I originally thought, since everyone so far has failed to follow the very first part of the post. 
  • Chizz said:
    It seems this is much, much harder than I originally thought, since everyone so far has failed to follow the very first part of the post. 
    Since, when have men followed instructions?
  • Sponsored links:

• Chizz said:
    It seems this is much, much harder than I originally thought, since everyone so far has failed to follow the very first part of the post. 
    If only you'd put the first line in bold or something ...
  • The first part of the post says don't give away the answer. 
    So I will not tell anyone I think it's A.
    I will just think it quietly to myself 
  • The first part of the post says don't give away the answer. 
    So I will not tell anyone I think it's A.
    I will just think it quietly to myself 
    We have a winner. 
  • (Of course, that doesn't mean it's the right answer)
  • Question is ambiguous any one of them could be first to shout out the colour of their hat correctly. Plus B and C might have the same colour hats and A would just shout out his colour. 

You would need to state that B and C have different coloured hats for us to come to the answer B 
  • edited January 2022
    stonemuse said:

Correct

If A calls out he is correct as B & C must be the same colour - they all walk free. If A is silent then B knows he is wearing a different colour to C so will also call correctly.

B must wait for A to either call out or be silent. The only way B can be wrong is if A wants them all to stay locked up.
  • This is proving astonishingly difficult 

:smiley:  
  • Chizz said:
    This is proving astonishingly difficult 

But quite fun.
  • Chizz said:

Well the supposed answer has already been given so might as well go into detail. 

• Sponsored links:

• Chizz said:

Let's try an easier one then - and I'll allow people to post their answer!!

Quiz show and the finalist is given the option to choose one of three doors marked A, B and C. Behind two of the doors is a pound coin, behind the remaining door is £1 million pounds.

The finalist chooses a door and the quiz master opens one of the remaining two doors to reveal a £1 coin. The quiz master asks the contestant if he wishes to stay with his original choice or to switch to the other closed door.

Does he stay with his original choice, switch, or doesn't it make any difference to his chances of winning?
  • And the question still needs to say the B AND C have different coloured hats 
  • bobmunro said:
    Chizz said:

Let's try an easier one then - and I'll allow people to post their answer!!

Quiz show and the finalist is given the option to choose one of three doors marked A, B and C. Behind two of the doors is a pound coin, behind the remaining door is £1 million pounds.

The finalist chooses a door and the quiz master opens one of the remaining two doors to reveal a £1 coin. The quiz master asks the contestant if he wishes to stay with his original choice or to switch to the other closed door.

Does he stay with his original choice, switch, or doesn't it make any difference to his chances of winning?
    He should switch, and, by doing so, double his chance of winning. 

He probably doesn't though. 
  • Switch - Monty Hall
  • They all look the same colour hats to me and none of them are black or white.
  • I ain't got a clue, but I bet if this conumdrum involved trains, we would have all got it:-)

• Is this a relative of Two Sheds?
  • Spoiler bar is your friend.
  • edited January 2022
    Stig said:
    Spoiler bar is your friend.
    ...*should be...

• but their hats are all the same colour.