Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

ULEZ Checker

Comments

• ULEZ seems to be working. South Circular rammed, Lee very quiet.
  • I imagine a huge number of fines will be issued to those still unaware.
  • I imagine a huge number of fines will be issued to those still unaware.
    I'm sure. Felt sorry for the local cafe which normally has a regular stream of builders coming in for breakfast. Only had 2 in by 8am.
  • Rob7Lee said:
    I imagine a huge number of fines will be issued to those still unaware.
    I'm sure. Felt sorry for the local cafe which normally has a regular stream of builders coming in for breakfast. Only had 2 in by 8am.
    A lot of small businesses just inside the zone will surely take a fair sized hit.
  • Rob7Lee said:
    A lot of small businesses just inside the zone will surely take a fair sized hit.
    Suspect so, this one's 500 years into the zone, apparently the one on Baring road (500 yards before the zone) was very busy though!
  • If the motorway is clear people ought to go into the nearside lane.
    Although they will likely have to move out for slower vehicles.
    However if they are in the middle lane going at 70mph they will seem like they are hogging the lane for others who wish to break the speed limit.
    Middle lane driving is down the list of annoyances below speeding, tailgating and not signalling and not giving way using the zipper principle.
    Also backing out from a minor to a major space is dangerous, and not giving way to pedestrians waiting to cross a side road when turning from a major road, especially in the rain.
    I live hard by the South Circular on the London side.
    I am expecting my already poor air quality to get worse as the South Circular gets rammed to a standstill.
  • Blackwall Tunnel southern approach moving very freely? Is this normal between 09:00 - 10:00 on a Monday morning ? Good for me. I’m heading north in a few mins.
  • Rob7Lee said:
    The ones just outside will presumably benefit!
  • Sponsored links:

• Rob7Lee said:
    Bumped into a builder mate of mine this morning, he seemed flustered, reckoned the site had crashed this morning.  He lives in the zone and said he'll have to pass the cost on to the customer. That's another £62.50 a week for his labour.
  • Rob7Lee said:
    Bumped into a builder mate of mine this morning, he seemed flustered, reckoned the site had crashed this morning.  He lives in the zone and said he'll have to pass the cost on to the customer. That's another £62.50 a week for his labour.
    Or buy a new van if he can afford it. An awful lot of diesel vans will be hit.
  • Wonder if Khan has to pay it when being driven in his 5L Range Rover 🤣
  • The negative impacts of the extended ULEZ are undoubtedly being overblown in some quarters. This is likely because it could have been implemented more sympathetically (with a scrappage scheme or vouchers as done in Coventry), and weak communications from TFL haven't helped.

The whole point is to remove the more polluting vehicles which surely everyone would agree is better for human health but this point seems to be commonly forgotten. Also there aren't that many vehicles affected (c.100,000 i think i heard recently).

I hear reports on the radio that fail to highlight that only specific older cars/vans  are covered by the ULEZ charge- I.e. those that do not meet the euro4 and euro6 standards respectively.

There are probably thousands of people now avoiding the inner London roads on the false belief that there is a blanket charge.

From the RAC website;

"Which vehicles will be affected by the London ULEZ?

Cars: Any diesel not conforming to Euro 6 emission standards and any petrol not conforming to Euro 4 emission standards

Petrol cars that meet the ULEZ standards are generally those registered with the DVLA after 2005, although cars that meet the standards have been available since 2001.

Diesel cars that meet the standards are generally those registered with the DVLA after September 2015.

Vans: Minimum standards - Petrol: Euro 4; Diesel: Euro 6.

The ULEZ will be enforced based on the declared emissions of the vehicle rather than the age, however:

• All new diesel vans sold from September 2016 should meet the Euro 6 standard
    • All petrol vans registered with the DVLA from January 2006 meet the Euro 4 standard
    • HGVs: All vehicles in this category will need to meet Euro VI standards

Motorcycles and mopeds: All vehicles will need to meet Euro 3 emissions standards.

The ULEZ will be enforced based on the declared emissions of the vehicle rather than the age - but generally speaking Euro 3 engines as those registered with the DVLA after July 2007."

• The negative impacts of the extended ULEZ are undoubtedly being overblown in some quarters. This is likely because it could have been implemented more sympathetically (with a scrappage scheme or vouchers as done in Coventry), and weak communications from TFL haven't helped.

The whole point is to remove the more polluting vehicles which surely everyone would agree is better for human health but this point seems to be commonly forgotten. Also there aren't that many vehicles affected (c.100,000 i think i heard recently).

I hear reports on the radio that fail to highlight that only specific older cars/vans  are covered by the ULEZ charge- I.e. those that do not meet the euro4 and euro6 standards respectively.

There are probably thousands of people now avoiding the inner London roads on the false belief that there is a blanket charge.

From the RAC website;

Cars: Any diesel not conforming to Euro 6 emission standards and any petrol not conforming to Euro 4 emission standards

Petrol cars that meet the ULEZ standards are generally those registered with the DVLA after 2005, although cars that meet the standards have been available since 2001.

Diesel cars that meet the standards are generally those registered with the DVLA after September 2015.

The ULEZ will be enforced based on the declared emissions of the vehicle rather than the age, however:

• All petrol vans registered with the DVLA from January 2006 meet the Euro 4 standard

Motorcycles and mopeds: All vehicles will need to meet Euro 3 emissions standards.

The ULEZ will be enforced based on the declared emissions of the vehicle rather than the age - but generally speaking Euro 3 engines as those registered with the DVLA after July 2007."

Van drivers are the ones most affected, as until recently the vast majority of vans were diesel powered. I imagine the cost of second hand Euro 6 vans has sky rocketed

From the RAC website;

Van drivers are the ones most affected, as until recently the vast majority of vans were diesel powered. I imagine the cost of second hand Euro 6 vans has sky rocketed
    I know loads of tradespeople who have been hammered by it - quite a cost involved. As for cars a lot of people will have to sell relatively new diesels and not get any help with replacing them.

It's all fine unless it affects you.
  • edited October 2021
    There are supply problems in getting new vehicles but again i suspect an over-reaction where a vehicle owner decides they need to get a new vehicle as a consequence. £12.50 per day while planning for a new vehicle is a negligible amount for most i think, especially where is can be put through the books. It's an adjustment that has to happen for the sake of cleaner air.

High fuel prices have not helped with the timing obviously.   

From the RAC website;

I know loads of tradespeople who have been hammered by it - quite a cost involved. As for cars a lot of people will have to sell relatively new diesels and not get any help with replacing them.

The difference for car owners is that there are loads of compliant secondhand petrol cars out there, whereas the stock of secondhand compliant vans will be tiny
  • Blackwall Tunnel southern approach moving very freely? Is this normal between 09:00 - 10:00 on a Monday morning ? Good for me. I’m heading north in a few mins.
    Hard to compare at the minute how much is down to ULEZ as its half term. The roads are usually quieter anyway so next week with the schools back will be the benchmark.
  • Sponsored links:

From the RAC website;

The difference for car owners is that there are loads of compliant secondhand petrol cars out there, whereas the stock of secondhand compliant vans will be tiny
    But you won't get a decent price for your second hand diesel car - a lot of people bought them in good faith. You can replace it but be out of pocket.

A better compensation scheme would have helped.

From the RAC website;

But you won't get a decent price for your second hand diesel car - a lot of people bought them in good faith. You can replace it but be out of pocket.

This has been planned for years I dont get the shock that everyone is experiencing its been everywhere for more than 4 years. I know someone who commutes from Medway to Poplar by car and previously had a diesel. He sold it around a year ago and switched to a petrol he got a great price for it. Waiting until now where the market was obviously going to be flooded, particularly locally is the issue. Still travel down to the kent coast and you'll have no issues selling for a decent price even with the additional supply on the market. 
  • I find it interesting that all these apparently "green" schemes miraculously increase revenue for the government... There was even someone saying that when everyone (or the majority, at least) has moved to ULEZ compliant vehicles, they'll have to start taxing them as well to keep their revenue up. Government, national and local seem to have no end of things to spend our money on.

From the RAC website;

This has been planned for years I dont get the shock that everyone is experiencing its been everywhere for more than 4 years. I know someone who commutes from Medway to Poplar by car and previously had a diesel. He sold it around a year ago and switched to a petrol he got a great price for it. Waiting until now where the market was obviously going to be flooded, particularly locally is the issue. Still travel down to the kent coast and you'll have no issues selling for a decent price even with the additional supply on the market. 
    I still think there is a lot of ignorance re ULEZ and not everyone is well informed. It also depends on personal circumstances how easy it is to sell a car. Diesels were once sold as the futute in terms of pollution and you also have to trust planning won't change at the last minute.

If the scheme were completly green then why allow polluting diesels to continue access to the zone if they pay a fee - that's a nonsense.

Khan is also backing the Silvertown Tunnel which is an utterly ludicrous scheme.
  • edited October 2021
    The negative impacts of the extended ULEZ are undoubtedly being overblown in some quarters. This is likely because it could have been implemented more sympathetically (with a scrappage scheme or vouchers as done in Coventry), and weak communications from TFL haven't helped.

From the RAC website;

I still think there is a lot of ignorance re ULEZ and not everyone is well informed. It also depends on personal circumstances how easy it is to sell a car. Diesels were once sold as the futute in terms of pollution and you also have to trust planning won't change at the last minute.

If the scheme were completly green then why allow polluting diesels to continue access to the zone if they pay a fee - that's a nonsense.

Khan is also backing the Silvertown Tunnel which is an utterly ludicrous scheme.
    People may be ignorant about it but I dont see how more could have been done to advertise it. There have been signs on the roads that it was coming for more than a year, there have been all sorts of advertising campaigns, my parents and partners parents who both live in Medway (as did my brother who lives in Abbey Wood outside the boundary) received letters through the door a while back explaining the change of boundaries. If anyone needs to go in there regularly they would have had to have passed up 10's or even 100's of messages about it.

The bit in bold is pretty ignorant. Its about gradual changes. In the short term it provides a disincentive to the use of the worst polluting cars in areas of high pollution so that they reduce journeys through that area, take alternative routes or they pay a cost for that pollution (money which is then spent on green schemes). In the medium term you get a shift away from the worse polluting vehicles as people choose better alternatives when you upgrade.

Dont really see what Khan or Silvertown have to do with this tbh.
  • Saga Lout said:
    I find it interesting that all these apparently "green" schemes miraculously increase revenue for the government... There was even someone saying that when everyone (or the majority, at least) has moved to ULEZ compliant vehicles, they'll have to start taxing them as well to keep their revenue up. Government, national and local seem to have no end of things to spend our money on.
    All money raised from schemes such as this is spent on other green initiatives. 

There will undoubtedly be a shift of what vehicles are compliant and what aren't over time. It has nothing to do with revenue and everything to do with pollution and improving technologies. The aim is to improve air quality, its targeting the worst polluting vehicles. If all of these are removed it doesn't suddenly mean the air quality is fine - of course not although it may be an improvement there will still be huge amounts of pollution in the area. You would then have to change what is considered the worst polluting vehicles - older petrols would likely fall into the bracket so the focus would shift. Of course in 5-10 years time new cars will be significantly cleaner than new cars are now (particularly with the move to electric) so as the tech improves you want to incentivise new cleaner cars and dis-incentivise older dirtier ones. Its really quite simple. 
  • Saga Lout said:
    I find it interesting that all these apparently "green" schemes miraculously increase revenue for the government... There was even someone saying that when everyone (or the majority, at least) has moved to ULEZ compliant vehicles, they'll have to start taxing them as well to keep their revenue up. Government, national and local seem to have no end of things to spend our money on.
    All money raised from schemes such as this is spent on other green initiatives. 

There will undoubtedly be a shift of what vehicles are compliant and what aren't over time. It has nothing to do with revenue and everything to do with pollution and improving technologies. The aim is to improve air quality, its targeting the worst polluting vehicles. If all of these are removed it doesn't suddenly mean the air quality is fine - of course not although it may be an improvement there will still be huge amounts of pollution in the area. You would then have to change what is considered the worst polluting vehicles - older petrols would likely fall into the bracket so the focus would shift. Of course in 5-10 years time new cars will be significantly cleaner than new cars are now (particularly with the move to electric) so as the tech improves you want to incentivise new cleaner cars and dis-incentivise older dirtier ones. Its really quite simple. 
    The money raised is not going to Central Government. It goes to TfL for transport projects.

• Crusty54 said:

One of the new signs at the boundary.