Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Spotted dick, toad in the hole..?

124»

Comments

• Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    Love gypsy tart. 
    Beautiful.
    I liked most puddings in school,😀only wish there were more restaurants that served some of the traditionals instead of the standard chocolate fondant or creme brulee.
    I'd love to have an apple and rhubarb crumble or similar cooked by a professional chef.
    I tend to skip puddings most times eating eat out coz the options tend to be poor.
    I was one of the kids the diner lady would come over to at the end of lunch service and scrape the left over lumpy custard out of the pot into my bowl, while the fussy buggers sat there in.packed lunch corner, heaving in their packed lunch boxes.

Never done me any harm
    Me and my dinner ladies were on personal terms. I think they all knew me by name lol
  • What about Welsh Rarebit…..often called Welsh Rabbit.
    Now that’s one from the past, my mum used to knock up a good one.😌
    you must of had it since childhood? it's basically cheese on toast with a bit of mustard isent it.
    though i was told sometimes the bread is soaked in wine before toasting it. 
    Definitely needs beer (preferably stout) and Worcester sauce too. Perhaps an egg. Never heard of soaking the bead in wine. Surely it would disintegrate?
  • Gribbo said:
    Love gypsy tart. 
    Beautiful.
    I liked most puddings in school,😀only wish there were more restaurants that served some of the traditionals instead of the standard chocolate fondant or creme brulee.
    I'd love to have an apple and rhubarb crumble or similar cooked by a professional chef.
    I tend to skip puddings most times eating eat out coz the options tend to be poor.
    Goddards in Greenwich do good crumbles.
  • Corn beef hash and spam fritters were two of my favourites.
    Now we're talking
  • johnny73 said:
    What was that brown piece of tart served in school that looked like shit but tasted lovely? Very sweet but I used to eat mine and about 3 of my mates portions.
    Mind is having trouble remembering the name 
    Gypsy tart.
    Makes you fart
  • Gypsy tart originated on the Isle of Sheppey. 

According to the legend, an elderly women saw some gypsy children playing in the fields. Since they looked a little on the skinny, undernourished side, the woman wanted to make something for them to eat, but she only had a few things in her pantry. From these paltry ingredients the gypsy tart was born. 

And thereafter every school child who attended a school in Kent was subjected to this abomination.  Yuk!
    I flipping love corn beef hash
  • Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    Love gypsy tart. 
    Beautiful.
    I was one of the kids the diner lady would come over to at the end of lunch service and scrape the left over lumpy custard out of the pot into my bowl, while the fussy buggers sat there in.packed lunch corner, heaving in their packed lunch boxes.

Never done me any harm
    Yet!

According to the legend, an elderly women saw some gypsy children playing in the fields. Since they looked a little on the skinny, undernourished side, the woman wanted to make something for them to eat, but she only had a few things in her pantry. From these paltry ingredients the gypsy tart was born. 

And thereafter every school child who attended a school in Kent was subjected to this abomination.  Yuk!

It's good to have a local invention! Other parts of the country have Cornish Pasties, Haggis, Scouse, Cumberland Whirls, Melton Mowbray Port Pies etc, we have Gypsy Tart  :D

Indeed, while Kent might be famous for apples and hops, does Kent have any other food products it can claim as its own?
  • Sponsored links:

It's good to have a local invention! Other parts of the country have Cornish Pasties, Haggis, Scouse, Cumberland Whirls, Melton Mowbray Port Pies etc, we have Gypsy Tart  :D

Indeed, while Kent might be famous for apples and hops, does Kent have any other food products it can claim as its own?
    the sandwich 
  • edited October 2021
    Gypsy tart originated on the Isle of Sheppey. 

Ye Old Kebabe in Orpington sounds like it's been around a while, so maybe it's the humble kebab?
  • edited October 2021
    Gypsy tart originated on the Isle of Sheppey. 

the sandwich 
    Kent needs to copyright the name, could make a fortune from M&S and Pret alone  ;)
    You can keep the spam....but corned beef hash all day long.

Mash and mince day was a big school favourite of mine......so much so that I make it for myself today for a special treat.
  • I’ve heard that spotted dick can follow toad in the hole if you’re not careful. 
  • Chizz said:
    I'm afraid I only got as far as "...1 in 5 have..." before leaving the "journalism" of the Mail Online well alone, again. 

Do they really not bother to teach their sub editors that it should be "...1 in 5 has..."? 
    You are probably talking about grammar, so this probably has nothing to do with it but I first read this in the 'tory' times I only went with the mail as far as I know it's one of the only papers which is free to read online. 
    Try The Guardian. 
  • seth plum said:
    Two things I have never mastered are how to peel an Avocado, and do aubergines that don’t end up as a lump of bitter slime.
    Avocado: cut in half, remove stone, cut down to the skin in a cross-hatch pattern, push from the outside to invert. (Or don’t bother with avocado).

Aubergine: cut in half lengthwise, grill both sides. 
  • seth plum said:
    ….oh, and doing porridge in a microwave without completely splattering the whole inside of it.
    Stir every now and again. 
  • seth plum said:
    Two things I have never mastered are how to peel an Avocado, and do aubergines that don’t end up as a lump of bitter slime.
    Avocado: cut in half, remove stone, cut down to the skin in a cross-hatch pattern, push from the outside to invert. (Or don’t bother with avocado).

You can cut mangoes in a similar way as well, though the stone is hard to remove
  • edited October 2021
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    Sausage meat pie with boiled eggs in it
    while I like everything in that, it doesn't sound appealing to me at all
    Its banging mate
    hell no, just seen that you had beans in it!
    Got a punch in the face if we left any 
    if my mum served me beans, she'd be getting the punch in the face!
    My brother in law has a proper irrational hatred/ fear of baked beans and struggles to be in the same room as them.

Was at his 30th many moons ago and he was doing a yard of ale type thing through a long plastic tube/ hose type thing with a funnel at one end into which his mates were emptying bottles of beer.

Needless to say one of them emptied a tin of beans in there.

I'd be violently sick them stab them all!

I cant eat off of a plate with baked beans on there.
    The floor is your friend. 
  • Sponsored links:

• seth plum said:
    ….oh, and doing porridge in a microwave without completely splattering the whole inside of it.
    Stir every now and again. 
    It's like making love to a woman.