Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Spotted dick, toad in the hole..?

Comments

• ….oh, and doing porridge in a microwave without completely splattering the whole inside of it.
  • Three things.
  • You ain't doing too bad if they are the only three things in life that you haven't mastered mate.
  • Not the only ones.
    But ones I wish I could master.
    I was once told you have to coat sliced aubergine in salt, and leave it for a while to draw out the bitterness, then they can be fried nice and crispy, never worked for me.
    Avocado leads to getting fingers greener than Capability Brown.
  • Sausage meat pie with boiled eggs in it
  • Gribbo said:
    Sausage meat pie with boiled eggs in it
    while I like everything in that, it doesn't sound appealing to me at all
  • I do like a toad in the hole but I just can’t get it right. Either the sausages are undercooked and the batter is perfect of the batter is rock hard and the sausages are perfect. Love spotted Dick (no relation), jam rolly polly and treacle sponge but detest with a passion semolina 
  • Gribbo said:
    Like a Gala Pie (sort of)?
  • Just googled stargazy pie and all I can say is that it's just as well that Noddy holder hadn't been eating it that fateful day.

Dishes always evolve through time anyway... That's the most daily mail article the daily mail could have dreamt of.
  • Gribbo said:
    Like a Gala Pie (sort of)?
    Yeah. Sure we had beans in it n all, but could be wrong 
  • Sponsored links:

• Gribbo said:
    Its banging mate
  • seth plum said:
    Three things.
    What have the Romans ever done for us?
  • Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    Its banging mate
    hell no, just seen that you had beans in it!
  • Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    Its banging mate
    Got a punch in the face if we left any 
  • Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    Its banging mate
    Got a punch in the face if we left any 
    if my mum served me beans, she'd be getting the punch in the face!
  • edited September 2021
    Dick in the hole would be my preference 
    I also like sausage in batter. 🤫

Remember once ordering Spotted Dick at a pub (The Dolphin, Robin Hood's Bay) around mid 80's. It was late in the evening and the chef had finished. Landlord said, "No problem, I'll get Mabel, our cleaner to sort it out." Around half an hour later the deserts arrived and it was apparent that something was very wrong. They were like bricks. The old dear found that the ovens we're all off, so had put them in the microwave, only she'd cooked them for the normal heating time. We were all tipsy however, so laughed it off without even a mention. Landlord must have thought we were slaughtered as we were laughing for about half an hour. (We probably were slaughtered).

Made stew and suet dumplings last week in the slow cooker. Browned off in the oven. Mmmmmm.
  • Deeply coloured spring greens are underrated in my view. The key is good preparatory cutting, and slinging them into already fiercely boiling water for about half a minute, then drain properly and serve.
    If the children don’t take to them at first there is always brown sauce, the richness of nutrients in Spring Greens is impressive, and the fibre.
  • seth plum said:
    Deeply coloured spring greens are underrated in my view. The key is good preparatory cutting, and slinging them into already fiercely boiling water for about half a minute, then drain properly and serve.
    If the children don’t take to them at first there is always brown sauce, the richness of nutrients in Spring Greens is impressive, and the fibre.
    Love ‘em - sprinkled with a bit of vinegar.
  • edited September 2021
    bobmunro said:
    seth plum said:
    Deeply coloured spring greens are underrated in my view. The key is good preparatory cutting, and slinging them into already fiercely boiling water for about half a minute, then drain properly and serve.
    Love ‘em - sprinkled with a bit of vinegar.
    I always thought I was the only scummer that did this?  :smiley:
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2021
    Whatever happened to tapioca, instant whip (who will be first to crack a joke on that one?) and creamola?
  • edited September 2021
    Gribbo said:
    Butterscotch Angel Delight 
    Preferred chocolate, with Cadbury’s chocolate buttons on the top.
  • bobmunro said:
    Gribbo said:
    It didn't get a chance to set in our house. Me and brother drank it
  • Whatever happened to tapioca, instant whip (who will be first to crack a joke on that one?) and creamola?
    Can I oblige?

Lashings of instant whip.
  • Gribbo said:
    bobmunro said:
    Gribbo said:
    It didn't get a chance to set in our house. Me and brother drank it
    Yes, that was the temptation.
  • Whatever happened to tapioca, instant whip (who will be first to crack a joke on that one?) and creamola?
    I used to give tapioca a wide berth when it was on the school dinner menu - hated the frogspawn!

Now, semolina with a healthy dollop of rosehip syrup in the middle was a different matter. Can you still get rosehip syrup?
  • bobmunro said:
    Whatever happened to tapioca, instant whip (who will be first to crack a joke on that one?) and creamola?
    I used to give tapioca a wide berth when it was on the school dinner menu - hated the frogspawn!

Now, semolina with a healthy dollop of rosehip syrup in the middle was a different matter. Can you still get rosehip syrup?
    a quick google and it seems to be all recipes rather than places to buy it
  • What about Welsh Rarebit…..often called Welsh Rabbit.
    Now that’s one from the past, my mum used to knock up a good one.😌
  • Patrick O'Brian' s tales of naval life in the Napoleonic war times contain a lot of stories about cooking English tuck at sea.
    Some American ladies reportedly held (perhaps still do) cooking parties where the recipes for 18th Century Royal Navy food were followed to the T, then eaten and thoroughly enjoyed.
    I am pleased that some Americans still uphold the best traditions of old fashioned English cuisine