Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Spotted dick, toad in the hole..?

Comments

• What about Welsh Rarebit…..often called Welsh Rabbit.
    Now that’s one from the past, my mum used to knock up a good one.😌
    I still have that now - maybe once a month.
  • edited September 2021
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    Sausage meat pie with boiled eggs in it
    while I like everything in that, it doesn't sound appealing to me at all
    Its banging mate
    hell no, just seen that you had beans in it!
    Got a punch in the face if we left any 
    if my mum served me beans, she'd be getting the punch in the face!
    My brother in law has a proper irrational hatred/ fear of baked beans and struggles to be in the same room as them.

Was at his 30th many moons ago and he was doing a yard of ale type thing through a long plastic tube/ hose type thing with a funnel at one end into which his mates were emptying bottles of beer.

Needless to say one of them emptied a tin of beans in there.

• Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    Sausage meat pie with boiled eggs in it
    while I like everything in that, it doesn't sound appealing to me at all
    Its banging mate
    hell no, just seen that you had beans in it!
    Got a punch in the face if we left any 
    if my mum served me beans, she'd be getting the punch in the face!
    My brother in law has a proper irrational hatred/ fear of baked beans and struggles to be in the same room as them.

Was at his 30th many moons ago and he was doing a yard of ale type thing through a long plastic tube/ hose type thing with a funnel at one end into which his mates were emptying bottles of beer.

Needless to say one of them emptied a tin of beans in there.

I'd be violently sick them stab them all!

I cant eat off of a plate with baked beans on there.
  • Weirdos....baked beans are great!
    I'd always been a Heinz snob until very recently when I could only find Branston ones. I have been missing out..........no more Heinz for me.

On a separate note - I had a bit of Arctic Roll the other day. Proper shite. Nothing like I remembered it. I couldn't find any Ice Magic though.....so couldn't fully recreate my childhood dish.
  • See a thing years ago about a girl who had a "phobia" of tomato ketchup. I thought it was a load of bollocks until I got on a bus one night, a bit worse for where, and notices someone had smeared them sachets of it all over the windows, seats and handles. The bus stunk of it and I didn't touch the stuff for about 10 years after that. It weren't a phobia as such, just a weird dislike of the smell and sight of it. Used to move the bottle off the table in the cafes and all sorts

Over it now
  • edited September 2021
    What about Welsh Rarebit…..often called Welsh Rabbit.
    you must of had it since childhood? it's basically cheese on toast with a bit of mustard isent it.
    though i was told sometimes the bread is soaked in wine before toasting it. 
  • Weirdos....baked beans are great!
    I'd always been a Heinz snob until very recently when I could only find Branston ones. I have been missing out..........no more Heinz for me.

On a separate note - I had a bit of Arctic Roll the other day. Proper shite. Nothing like I remembered it. I couldn't find any Ice Magic though.....so couldn't fully recreate my childhood dish.
    the branston beans are by far superior to those heinz ones. got a tangy taste to the sauce. also they seem to have more beans rather than loads of red sauce like Heinz do. 
  • edited September 2021
    When I was probably about 7 or 8 and lived on the Woolwich Road, I'd walk along to Barry's newsagent, opposite to The Vic and along a bit, and get one of those cream doughnuts. I'm sure they were longer back the. Or have my hands got bigger?

Does anyone on here know, or remember Barry? He sold the shop and went to work as prison officer I think?
  • I've had toad in the hole but managed to avoid spotted dick so far.
  • What about Welsh Rarebit…..often called Welsh Rabbit.
    you must of had it since childhood? it's basically cheese on toast with a bit of mustard isent it.
    though i was told sometimes the bread is soaked in wine before toasting it. 
    Oh yes….I remember it very well from the 1950’s. Very simple to make and mum used to use some pepper and HP Brown sauce to give it a bit of a leg up.
    In essence, it’s simply a glorified cheese on toast.
  • Sponsored links:

• Gribbo said:
    When I was probably about 7 or 8 and lived on the Woolwich Road, I'd walk along to Barry's newsagent, opposite to The Vic and along a bit, and get one of those cream doughnuts. I'm sure they were longer back the. Or have my hands got bigger?

Does anyone on here know, or remember Barry? He sold the shop and went to work as prison officer I think?
    Last I heard, he was in prison.
  • Gribbo said:

Last I heard, he was in prison.
    Really?
  • Gino D'Acampo yet another Italian geezer who reckons he's a master chef has just had published what the world really needs, YES, another cookery book .. inside this tome is a recipe for SAUSAGE IN THE HOLE .. what we all know and love as Toad in the Hole ..
    Gino, you're a muppet, stick to your well paid rubbish TV shows and leave English cooking descriptions alone
  • Gino D'Acampo yet another Italian geezer who reckons he's a master chef has just had published what the world really needs, YES, another cookery book .. inside this tome is a recipe for SAUSAGE IN THE HOLE .. what we all know and love as Toad in the Hole ..
    Gino, you're a muppet, stick to your well paid rubbish TV shows and leave English cooking descriptions alone
    Probably a better chef than burglar TBF.
    The whole 'sausage in the hole' is a nod to an episode of This Morning when he referred to it as that and had the studio in fits of laughter.

Toad in the hole is consumed at least twice a month in this household, with a mountain of accompanying vegetables and lashings of gravy. 
    The whole 'sausage in the hole' is a nod to an episode of This Morning when he referred to it as that and had the studio in fits of laughter.

Toad in the hole is consumed at least twice a month in this household, with a mountain of accompanying vegetables and lashings of gravy. 
    I thought it was a nod to his time in prison

Like it with baked beans and onions.😜

Will give it a go, minus the beans (devils food)  ;)

Will give it a go, minus the beans (devils food)  ;)
    Herecy………to the tower with you!👺
  • Just looking at that list, I'd be amazed if people didn't know what Scotch Eggs were, as all supermarkets sell them in the chiller cabinets, next to pork pies, coleslaw and falafels

I can more understand Spotted Dick not being recognised, as while I ate it in school dinners, those sorts of stodgy suet puddings are relatively out of fashion now, outside of certain pubs and British cuisine restaurants
  • Sponsored links:

• What you don't want is spotted dick in the hole!!
  • bobmunro said:
    _MrDick said:
    I do like a toad in the hole but I just can’t get it right. Either the sausages are undercooked and the batter is perfect of the batter is rock hard and the sausages are perfect. Love spotted Dick (no relation), jam rolly polly and treacle sponge but detest with a passion semolina 
    Part cook the sausages first!
    I agree. I do the same with pigs in blankets. If you just wrap the sausage up and then whack it in it comes out underdone. Girlfriend didn’t realise I precooked the sausages and ruined them by leaving them in for 40 minutes when they needed 15, pretty much ruined Christmas dinner for me.

same goes for sausage hotpot. A classic from my childhood. Cool the sausages a bit first. Slice up some spuds and can cook a bit first but not necessary. Cook up some onions and garlic, put in casserole pot with the sausage cut into chunks, add 2 tins baked beans, one tin oxtail soup and cover with the potatoes and ideally some cheese. 

Cook for around an hour and a half. Yum. 
  • What was that brown piece of tart served in school that looked like shit but tasted lovely? Very sweet but I used to eat mine and about 3 of my mates portions.
    Mind is having trouble remembering the name 
  • What was that brown piece of tart served in school that looked like shit but tasted lovely? Very sweet but I used to eat mine and about 3 of my mates portions.
    Gypsy tart.
  • Love gypsy tart. 
    I quite liked his series going around Italy. But he kept comparing Italian Italian food to British Italian food, saying "this is the proper way to do it". Which is fine, but at least the UK give it a go. Can you imagine getting a pasty or Eccles cake in Italy, let alone a better version to what you get in the UK.
  • johnny73 said:
    What was that brown piece of tart served in school that looked like shit but tasted lovely? Very sweet but I used to eat mine and about 3 of my mates portions.
    Gypsy tart.
    Thats the one ta...was having a propa brain freeze
  • Gribbo said:
    Love gypsy tart. 
    Beautiful.
    I liked most puddings in school,😀only wish there were more restaurants that served some of the traditionals instead of the standard chocolate fondant or creme brulee.
    I'd love to have an apple and rhubarb crumble or similar cooked by a professional chef.
    I tend to skip puddings most times eating eat out coz the options tend to be poor.
  • Gribbo said:
    Love gypsy tart. 
    Beautiful.
    I liked most puddings in school,😀only wish there were more restaurants that served some of the traditionals instead of the standard chocolate fondant or creme brulee.
    I'd love to have an apple and rhubarb crumble or similar cooked by a professional chef.
    I tend to skip puddings most times eating eat out coz the options tend to be poor.
    I was one of the kids the diner lady would come over to at the end of lunch service and scrape the left over lumpy custard out of the pot into my bowl, while the fussy buggers sat there in.packed lunch corner, heaving in their packed lunch boxes.

Never done me any harm