Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match Thread: Charlton v Saints U21 Pap Trophy: Tuesday 5 October 2021

A convincing Charlton side run rampant over Southampton’s young squad, particularly in the first half. An enjoyable display all round, even if we weren’t quite as dominant in the second half. If we’re being picky, the clean sheet remains elusive (despite Harness playing particularly well). 

More minutes for key players in the squad, as well as a good result to build confidence.

Over to you.

Charlton 4 Southampton 1

Comments

• And Adkins subbed a tired midfield (just) in time.  Feels like we might be turning a corner - but fitness of the midfield still a worry.
  • Saw it on twitter so cant claim it... In short that was a Pizza cake!!
  • Harness impressive and a couple of lovely kicks to set off attacks, and of course a very good penalty save.
    We need to sign Taylor on a long contract ASAP.
    Purrington could have had a hat trick! Thought he was very good tonight.
  • A good attacking performance that, combined with a frustrating dip in energy in the second half, until we brought on CBT and Dempsey

Harness, Purrington, Dobson and Morgan were the standouts to me, with CBT making a brilliant sub appearance

Harness makes me wonder why we needed Henderson. Some great distribution as well as some good saves
    Purrington was solid and a real threat in the opposition penalty box, and linking well with Kirk.
    Dobson really surprised me with his passing, some really nice cross field balls
    Morgan players some great forward passes all match, and had a second wind when CBT came on, as the two of them linked up superbly. He's not a No 10 floating around the box like Lee, but is a brilliant passer when he has players like CBT willing to run forward.

DJ was frustrating, as there wasn't enough end product. He gets the ball in dangerous positions, but then dawdles on the ball instead of getting the cross in straight away. 
  • edited October 2021
    I am concerned about Kirk. Despite his slight improvement on Saturday tonight he was anonymous again. Does not have pace, cannot beat a man, missed a great chance (again) and does not cross.
    What exactly is he supposed to be that we spent money on him?
    If CBT leaves at Xmas I would be very worried that our wingers would be Kirk and DJ, who does  have attacking skill but also terrible decision making.
  • Sponsored links:

• Another enjoyable cup outing (am I watching our Addicks?). Good run out for many, some quality football and enjoyed Dobson’s and Morgan’s contributions particularly. Let’s hope this form continues Saturday week!
  • There's one hell of a player in Dobson, but this player seems to not like it when big horrible League One teams do big horrible things to him. Maybe our patience will be rewarded 
  • AndyG said:
    I missed the stream as suspected didnt get back in time but I dont get a the negative stuff around this competition at the end of the day we have a decent sized squad now and players need to play. Winning is a good habit to get into and if I was NA I would be trying to get as far as possible in this cup. Not as if our trophy room is bulging is it ?
    I agree @AndyG ....... it's not a priority but very useful to get competitive games into squad fringe players.

Let's take it seriously. As you say, winning is a good habit and it keeps squad morale high.

• edited October 2021
    Leuth said:
    There's one hell of a player in Dobson, but this player seems to not like it when big horrible League One teams do big horrible things to him. Maybe our patience will be rewarded 
    Notice how he appeared to get worse as Clare tired then improved when Dempsey replaced him. 

He can't do the defensive duties of two players, he shouldn't have to. I have concerns over Clare's fitness.
  • edited October 2021
    CBT produced more in 15 minutes than kirk of dj managed all night - like dobson, would like to see him getting another chance in a proper game - like claire as a utility man , can do without morgan, matthews and pearce - purrington played well - silly competition but decided it was gonna be more entertaining than watching tv , and it was  
  • Enjoyable match.  MOM Harness. 
  • Still don't like their pizzas.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Leuth said:
    There's one hell of a player in Dobson, but this player seems to not like it when big horrible League One teams do big horrible things to him. Maybe our patience will be rewarded 
    Notice how he appeared to get worse as Clare tired then improved when Dempsey replaced him. 

He can't do the defensive duties of two players, he shouldn't have to. I have concerns over Clare's fitness.
    a lot of our squad seem to lack stamina 
  • Sponsored links:

• cafctom said:
    Have attended both of the Papa Johns games this season and enjoyed them. 

I actually would like to see us have a go at this competition if we can. Why not?

Agreed, silverware is silverware.

I dont mind the competition & like people have said winning breeds confidence and thats only a good thing.
  • Stockley is an interesting one, in my opinion he's our best striker but we do seem to play dreadfull, ineffective hoofball when he starts. Can he and Davison play in the same team?
  • cafctom said:
    Have attended both of the Papa Johns games this season and enjoyed them. 

I actually would like to see us have a go at this competition if we can. Why not?
    Because it's an embarrassing competition to be involved in.

I would rather we had a go at the FA Cup and League Cup rather than always saying that we have to 'concentrate on the league.'

Having said that, I'm glad those that attended enjoyed it and if it's good practise for our reserves then that's a good thing.

I just don't want to see us getting excited about it even if we win the dumb thing because it is totally of no value.
    But which could we actually win with a league one side.
  • Harness, Dobson, Stockley and CBT all impressive. 

Think I'm done with Matthews now. Only a couple of months or so ago I said he was one of the few who could cut it in the championship after his last showing there. Isn't learning from mistakes or just doesn't care for some reason. 
  • Still don't like their pizzas.
    Do they have a vegan option?