Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match Thread: Charlton v Saints U21 Pap Trophy: Tuesday 5 October 2021

Comments

• Hopefully DJ isn't injured. We need him to be fitter and harder working, than out injured. 
  • edited October 2021
    That penalty Matthews gave away was pretty embarrassing. It's like the guy has given up.
  • cafctom said:
    Have attended both of the Papa Johns games this season and enjoyed them. 

I actually would like to see us have a go at this competition if we can. Why not?
    Because it's an embarrassing competition to be involved in.

I would rather we had a go at the FA Cup and League Cup rather than always saying that we have to 'concentrate on the league.'

Having said that, I'm glad those that attended enjoyed it and if it's good practise for our reserves then that's a good thing.

I just don't want to see us getting excited about it even if we win the dumb thing because it is totally of no value.
    I get your point, none of us really want to be in this competition the same as none of us want to be in league one. But we are, and with the draw split into north/south and us having (in my opinion) a decent squad it's a realistic chance of getting to Wembley.

The league cup is not. Only Sunderland from outside the top two tiers have made the fourth round.
    The FA cup is certainly not either.
  • cafctom said:
    Have attended both of the Papa Johns games this season and enjoyed them. 

I actually would like to see us have a go at this competition if we can. Why not?
    Because it's an embarrassing competition to be involved in.

I would rather we had a go at the FA Cup and League Cup rather than always saying that we have to 'concentrate on the league.'

Having said that, I'm glad those that attended enjoyed it and if it's good practise for our reserves then that's a good thing.

I just don't want to see us getting excited about it even if we win the dumb thing because it is totally of no value.
    Oh jimmy jimmy would ya would ya would ya go to wembley
  • edited October 2021
    Morgan > Pearce Miss > Stockley Goal

Kirk > Morgan > Dobson > Purrington Goal

Morgan > Stockley goal

Involved in all three goals and created other chances too. Got the ball to Kirk several times early doors and to CBT many times towards the end. Either better players make Albie look better or worse players make him seem worse.

I know many don't see it, but in the Shinnie assist the assister type role, Morgan could be very good. Question is whether we can afford that luxury in our formation and whether he can add goals himself.

• Are we actually taking this game seriously?
  • Are we actually taking this game seriously?
    Not entirely, but it's a game so we discuss it like we do any game including preseason friendlies surely? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Matthews and DJ were trying hard to be effective going forward, Matthews was generally available in a progressive sense, he wasn’t that bad yesterday notwithstanding the penalty.
  • edited October 2021
    Enjoyed it as background TV, cant justify paying £10 again though for it.
  • Leuth said:
    FA straight up handing Stockley 10 in Player Marks like it's sodding Christmas 

• decent win, just watched Jackos post match interview, always enjoy hearing him speak......top dog 'in waiting'

I get the feeling if he was in charge we would play in a different way
  • clive said:
    There's some good bits of play and shocking marking for their goal.
  • Re why get Henderson in if we've got Harness, I'd guess the idea is to let the latter go on loan in January.
  • Streaming definitely has a big impact on these games. I happily paid a tenner rather than a 140 mile round trip that I do for league home games. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Awful defending from Matthews......but that's the standard we are now at.

Re Morgan. I've always said that he is a great passer of the ball & is great at finding players or putting someone in on goal. Definitely not a number 10, more like a deep lying playmaker like Jan Molby.
  • Re why get Henderson in if we've got Harness, I'd guess the idea is to let the latter go on loan in January.
    I assume the thinking would've been that we needed another keeper with experience because if MacGillivray got injured then Harness would've been in at the deep end, and then Beadle as the sub keeper. 

Obviously there's a chance Harness would do well, but if the budget allowed us to sign another experienced keeper then it's a no brainer not to. 
    I assume the thinking would've been that we needed another keeper with experience because if MacGillivray got injured then Harness would've been in at the deep end, and then Beadle as the sub keeper. 

Obviously there's a chance Harness would do well, but if the budget allowed us to sign another experienced keeper then it's a no brainer not to. 
    Exactly.
    Imagine having to throw Harness in pre-Fleetwood when everybody was calling for the managers head and players were being booed off. Talk about baptism of fire - it might have scarred him for good
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Morgan > Pearce Miss > Stockley Goal

Kirk > Morgan > Dobson > Purrington Goal

Morgan > Stockley goal

Involved in all three goals and created other chances too. Got the ball to Kirk several times early doors and to CBT many times towards the end. Either better players make Albie look better or worse players make him seem worse.

I know many don't see it, but in the Shinnie assist the assister type role, Morgan could be very good. Question is whether we can afford that luxury in our formation and whether he can add goals himself.

My thoughts exactly.

In a system with 2 out and out wingers, he's really effective as the link between defence and them, setting up chances for them - the Kirk chance that he skied and a couple for DJ - but also setting them free to run into space and create danger. His passing helped make CBT really dangerous when he came on - 3 times in a few minutes in the match thread I typed Morgan passes to CBT who creates a good chance (for Stockley, Purrington, Claydon)

Lee might do some nice stuff around the box, but is more of a second striker, meaning we are in danger of a 424 formation as he's not that good defensively and a gap between the attacking 4 and the 2 midfielders. I'd be worried about playing with just the 2 midfielders against the better teams.
  • kafka said:
    Streaming definitely has a big impact on these games. I happily paid a tenner rather than a 140 mile round trip that I do for league home games. 
    Yes, it's a bit unfair to compare the numbers as in previous years streaming wasn't a LEGAL option for such midweek games
  • Leuth said:
    There's one hell of a player in Dobson, but this player seems to not like it when big horrible League One teams do big horrible things to him. Maybe our patience will be rewarded 
    I have seen signs of that player from day  one and I think he will come good for us.
  • Enjoyed the game. Allows the management team to try out combinations and partnerships. Thought Clare and Dobson both played well again. Some of Dobson's switch play was very sweet indeed. Morgan was very positive and was involved with the goals. Purrington had a stormer and Harness continues to develop as a real prospect. The penalty save was good but what really impressed was the quality of his distribution.

DJ is a worry as he was given lots of good ball but just seemed to make the wrong decision every time. Even when he got a cross in, it was a kind of scooped affair with little pace. Kirk had some promising link up play with Purrington but most of his play fizzles out. Had another chance with a shot. and again, he fluffed his lines. 

Terrific cameo from CBT. First time he gets the ball he is handing Stockley his hat trick on a plate (somehow missed by the big man). Probably someone like Chucks who can't do the full 90, but CBT has to be in that squad every week.
  • I never bet on Charlton ever, but for some reason I put money on us winning 4-0, that Southampton goal felt like a real sucker punch. Serves me right really.
  • Not sounding a spoilsport but it was a similar pre-season team getting glowing performances and good results in pre-season. Something happens when they play against experienced, intent and well trained opposition.