Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Spotted dick, toad in the hole..?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/food/article-10001889/Are-millennials-killing-classic-British-dishes.html

I just come under this so called bracket for millennials. The people they asked obviously lived very different lives to me and went to very different schools. 

Tared under the same brush and now I Know how certain people feel.. ahh, forget it. Anyway I'm gonna do my own survey (I know it's not something that is liked on this site) but I'm mainly asking those under the age of 40 but others can get involved of course especially if they know younger people who have an opinion on this. I know I fucking have purely cos of my scotch egg preferences never mind the others. 

I asked friends of mine who are roughly the same age as me and all of them know what bangers and mash is and what toad in the hole is and what spotted dick is so it wonders to me who they are actually asking?

Comments

• Now we're talking
  • I one of the last members of generation x, my wife is a millenial.  We regularly eat almost all of these and everyone I know knows what they are.  

However I must admit I didn't know what a stargazer pie was. 

• I'm a boomer so know all of this (apart from Stargazy Pie!) - my sons are millennials and they do too. Might be something to do with what we fed them!
  • Bubble and Squeak 
  • I'm 40 in January. I made a spotted dick last weekend, although getting suet in Canada is virtually impossible so I had to use vegetable shortening.

I haven't had pease pudding inflicted upon me since I left home. Do like a toad in the hole though. Never heard of stargazey pie.
  • Someone got paid to write that up..
  • I'm afraid I only got as far as "...1 in 5 have..." before leaving the "journalism" of the Mail Online well alone, again. 

Do they really not bother to teach their sub editors that it should be "...1 in 5 has..."? 
  • Used to eat the parsons nose before I found out what it was.
  • Sponsored links:

• Chizz said:
    I'm afraid I only got as far as "...1 in 5 have..." before leaving the "journalism" of the Mail Online well alone, again. 

Do they really not bother to teach their sub editors that it should be "...1 in 5 has..."? 
    You are probably talking about grammar, so this probably has nothing to do with it but I first read this in the 'tory' times I only went with the mail as far as I know it's one of the only papers which is free to read online. 
  • Fucking millennials. 
  • Never heard of stargazer pie, sounds horrible. I’m guessing the fact that most of the dishes are fairly unhealthy means they’re not widely eaten nowadays.
  • Stig said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I one of the last members of generation x, my wife is a millenial.  We regularly eat almost all of these and everyone I know knows what they are.  

However I must admit I didn't know what a stargazer pie was

Is that when you watch someone dumping onto a glass topped coffee table?
    Noddy Holder People think I live in a cave and come out in December  shouting quotit39s Christmaaassquot  Daily Mail Online
  • Never heard of stargazer pie, sounds horrible. I’m guessing the fact that most of the dishes are fairly unhealthy means they’re not widely eaten nowadays.
    My physique would generally back up this theory....
  • I'm 40 in January. I made a spotted dick last weekend, although getting suet in Canada is virtually impossible so I had to use vegetable shortening.

I haven't had pease pudding inflicted upon me since I left home. Do like a toad in the hole though. Never heard of stargazey pie.
    What’s vegetable shortening? Veg?
  • Stig said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I one of the last members of generation x, my wife is a millenial.  We regularly eat almost all of these and everyone I know knows what they are.  

However I must admit I didn't know what a stargazer pie was

Is that when you watch someone dumping onto a glass topped coffee table?
    Noddy Holder People think I live in a cave and come out in December  shouting quotit39s Christmaaassquot  Daily Mail Online
    Whilst holding your noddy?
  • edited September 2021
    @Stig re your coffee table comment...google that and Noddy Holder. Grim!
  • Can’t believe someone’s concerned at the quality of journalism emanating from the Daily Mail. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Can't believe the source of the link gets brought up in a tongue in cheek thread.
  • Gribbo said:
    Can't believe the source of the link gets brought up in a tongue in cheek thread.
    Why?
  • My mum used to make roly poly pud in the 60s and 70s, but I was put off by the lyrics of a Benny Hill song. 

'Now can you guess what's for lunch today my son?  But I knew it was roly poly pud cos she only had one stocking on'

I never did ask mum how she prepared roly poly, I didn't want to know. 
  • Another great stodge fest was bacon and onion suet pudding.
  • I like boiling up a mixture of swede carrot and potatoes and mashing that with cheese and loads of ground black pepper, eaten with veggie sausages and peas.
    Can add brown sauce if required.
    Nice traditional meal.
  • Dick in the hole would be my preference 
  • Dick in the hole would be my preference 
    For afters, spotted toad.
  • There are two groups of people I envy in the world.  Those who have not yet read any of the works of PG Wodehouse, because they are lucky enough to have a monumental canon of literary genius ready and waiting for them to absorb and enjoy.  And those who have not yet experienced Stargazy Pie, because they have been lucky enough to have evaded that culinary aberration. 
  • Chizz said:
    There are two groups of people I envy in the world.  Those who have not yet read any of the works of PG Wodehouse, because they are lucky enough to have a monumental canon of literary genius ready and waiting for them to absorb and enjoy.  And those who have not yet experienced Stargazy Pie, because they have been lucky enough to have evaded that culinary aberration. 
    Wow.... @Chizz is double envious of me B)
  • Two things I have never mastered are how to peel an Avocado, and do aubergines that don’t end up as a lump of bitter slime.