Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Deji Elerewe - won League One Apprentice of the year at EFL 2022 Awards (p11)

18 years old today
If Emma Raducanu is old enough to win a major tennis tournament aged 18, Deji is old enough, and more importantly, good enough to take a regular place in our first team squad.
I hope by the end of the season he and Sam Lavelle will be our regular central defensive partnership. 

Many Happy Returns Deji.

Comments

• edited September 2021
    18 years old today
    If Emma Raducanu is old enough to win a major tennis tournament aged 18, Deji is old enough, and more importantly, good enough to take a regular place in our first team squad.
    I hope by the end of the season he and Sam Lavelle will be our regular central defensive partnership. 

Many Happy Returns Deji.
    Two right footed CBs?

Happy Birthday Deji!
  • Given we don’t play out from the back two right footed CBs shouldn’t be an issue. It wasn’t for Morrison and Taylor/Cort.
  • Has Deji got a contract yet?
  • LenGlover said:
    Has Deji got a contract yet?
    could be today .. the age when a person in the UK can make a legally binding contract is 18
  • edited September 2021
    LenGlover said:
    Been told he turned down a very good offer from us a few weeks ago. Agent playing silly buggers once again I would imagine.
    mmm sounds ominous .. he is one of the real 'treasures' in our youth set up .. we are always vulnerable to a snatch n grab by a 'big club'
  • Happy Birthday Deji.
  • edited September 2021
    Don't think it will be long before we start telling youth players they will only feature in the first team if they sign a contract before. It is what I would do anyway.
    that's fair enough .. we must do all we can to protect valuable assets, i.e. young players .. problem is of course that (e.g. Chelsea and co) can afford to pay tens of thousands a week to youngsters who have no chance at all of making their first team squads in the hope of bringing in big fees for loaning them out
  • LenGlover said:
    Been told he turned down a very good offer from us a few weeks ago. Agent playing silly buggers once again I would imagine.
    Perhaps we should have got him tied down to a pro contract before we started playing him. Can be done from the age of 17. Only ourselves to blame if we lose him. 
  • Sponsored links:

• He should be starting, if not every match, at least half of them. Happy Birthday Deji!
  • Sobering thought. I wear t shirts that are older than the lad.

Happy birthday Deji, don’t overdo the jelly and ice cream.
  • LenGlover said:
    Yes, with Ipswich
    ouch !! .. many a true word is spoken in jest lol 
  • LenGlover said:
    Very frustrating. If he’s that way inclined then I can’t see him playing for us again.
  • be interested to know what a very good offer is considered to be - particularly in comparision to what he is being offered elsewhere 
  • DOUCHER said:
    be interested to know what a very good offer is considered to be - particularly in comparision to what he is being offered elsewhere 
    Would comfortably be in line with other first team defenders. Not bad for a teenager with a handful of appearances. No idea if it has been rejected due to a release clause wanted or something.
    ok, yep that seems a good offer 
  • edited September 2021
    Don't think it will be long before we start telling youth players they will only feature in the first team if they sign a contract before. It is what I would do anyway.
    Easy to say but you probably wouldn’t if it meant losing another Gomez for minimal compensation.

Can understand why clubs like Brentford closed down their academies.
  • If he doesn't want to sign I hope we don't give him any further first team opportunities. It'll hurt us in the short term but it will make the next academy starlet think twice about screwing over the club.
  • Sponsored links:

• The lads decision ultimately but if he doesn’t sign with the club that has given him a chance then imo the  boy has no loyalty whatsoever & is lacking respect! 
  • Don't think it will be long before we start telling youth players they will only feature in the first team if they sign a contract before. It is what I would do anyway.
    Maybe that's why he was playing for the U23's yesterday.
  • DOUCHER said:
    be interested to know what a very good offer is considered to be - particularly in comparision to what he is being offered elsewhere 
    Would comfortably be in line with other first team defenders. Not bad for a teenager with a handful of appearances. No idea if it has been rejected due to a release clause wanted or something.
    That seems very unlikely to me. 
  • DOUCHER said:
    That seems very unlikely to me. 
    and me
  • My fears have been that yet again we lose the young talent before they hardly get started. Losing Paul Elliott and Paul Walsh was a shocker especially when they went to small little Luton back in the day.

Having chatted to both Deji and Mason on Saturday, I hope when I wished them good luck in their careers they realized I meant at Cafc, not Palace or West ham !
  • Happy 1st birthday to my dog Clive. 

And happy birthday to Deji.
    Hopefully you will have a long and successful career at Charlton 
  • EPPP has done a proper number on clubs like Charlton, bought in in a very under hand way to balance the power even more firmly with the big clubs and encourage ever more player farming by them.  Wonder whatever happened to the architect of that shite bit of regulation.
    And wasn’t it Roddy who instigated EPPP?
  • edited September 2021
    Yeah I can see Deji’s contract situation going horribly wrong for us. Regardless of owner it’s difficult to deal with an agent that might be working against the club. Hopefully Deji being back in the 23’s will give him a second thought.