Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Deji Elerewe - won League One Apprentice of the year at EFL 2022 Awards (p11)

167891012»

Comments

• Options
    Good interview. Released by Palace at u12 but that helped him build his confidence. Has ambitions to play for England or Nigeria one day.

• Options
    Given that Deji seems to have fallen so far down the pecking order - in fact, is he even in it? - it's fascinating to see this old thread and the comments on page 7 - 10 when he signed a new contract just over a year ago.

Were you one who thought he would soon be a first team regular?

And great comment on P8 from TS when we liked him commenting!

More seriously, I really hope he can start battling again for a first team place and that he is not going to just disappear.

And in that regard, anyone know what has happened to him/what is holding him back etc? 
  • Options
    I remember the hype and saw him play a couple of times for the first team. I thought he was a little immobile and that short, quick players were exposing him a few times on the turn.

I can't say I really ever understood the hype around Konsa either to be honest and he proved me wrong (though not sure what's happened to him over the past season or two). Gomez always looked a cut above but not sure he'll ever recover from the latest big injury and now looks a shadow of former self.

Can take a while for centre backs to develop their understanding of the game so hopefully Deji fixes his weaknesses and forces his way into the starting XI. 
  • Options
    First I saw him in the first team was a pre season friendly v Welling and he looked so comfortable and a real prospect.  He is still very young and I hope his time will come again.  
  • Options
    He reminds me of Yado Mumbo when he was at the club, a lot of hype around him at the time, and saw him a few time and thought he was the real deal at 18-19 but for whatever reason never really kicked on.. 
  • Options
    So far he's shown he likes pre season friendly games.
  • Options
    Given that Deji seems to have fallen so far down the pecking order - in fact, is he even in it? - it's fascinating to see this old thread and the comments on page 7 - 10 when he signed a new contract just over a year ago.

Were you one who thought he would soon be a first team regular?

And great comment on P8 from TS when we liked him commenting!

More seriously, I really hope he can start battling again for a first team place and that he is not going to just disappear.

And in that regard, anyone know what has happened to him/what is holding him back etc? 
    I am surprised that he hasn't 'trained on' .. the difference between the outstanding youth performer and those with the the ability to take on seasoned pros in the EFL is of course the reason ..  perhaps Deji is too nice for the real rough n tumble
  • Options
    Was with the squad yesterday , doing running before the game. Ness looks like he is the favoured one at the moment 
  • Options
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good move for him. Was there last year, local and a decent standard at the top of National League. Go well Deji.
  • Options
    20yo now. Needs go start pushing on and hopefully with us. 

Main areas of improvement I have noticed are aggression and dominance in the air and in closing down.
  • Options
    Interesting that he's having another NL loan, whereas Mitchell went straight into a L2 loan, when you perhaps might have expected it to be the other way round based on their ages and experience.
  • Options
    Interesting that he's having another NL loan, whereas Mitchell went straight into a L2 loan, when you perhaps might have expected it to be the other way round based on their ages and experience.
    Was thinking it’s because easier to bring player back early from NL if needed, due to issues in our first team etc, and Deji is on that list, whereas we’re happy for Mitchell to be away for full season loan.
    The transfer window is closed so unfortunately the highest loan he can get is NL.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Cafclover said:
    Was thinking it’s because easier to bring player back early from NL if needed, due to issues in our first team etc, and Deji is on that list, whereas we’re happy for Mitchell to be away for full season loan.
    The transfer window is closed so unfortunately the highest loan he can get is NL.
    And conversely, like @stoneroses19 said, it means that they can come back outside of the traditional window too. If an injury crisis hits, Deji’s loan can be ended at very short notice.

Whereas with Mitchell, the earliest he can be recalled and play for us is next August (unless a clause exists that allows us to bring him back in January).
  • Options
    But  in terms of player progression, you ideally want players to be loaned out at higher levels each season. Deji had 2 NL loans last season, he was "due" a L2 loan. He's the same age as Henry who went to Crawley.

If you're keeping players in the squad and only giving them NL loans "just in case" they're needed, they'll never progress. And Deji's development has stalled a bit.
  • Options
    But  in terms of player progression, you ideally want players to be loaned out at higher levels each season. Deji had 2 NL loans last season, he was "due" a L2 loan. He's the same age as Henry who went to Crawley.

If you're keeping players in the squad and only giving them NL loans "just in case" they're needed, they'll never progress. And Deji's development has stalled a bit.
    Who's to say he won't get a L2 loan in Jan? Or bypass that and be in the main squad by then? If we loaned out both Mitchell and Elerewe to L2 teams and then had an injury crisis at centre back, everyone would jump on about how sending them both on loan was a mistake
  • Options
    It can still be a very good development opportunity - it doesn’t always have to be a jump up to the next tier to be beneficial. He might for instance have a more important role now he’s a known quantity at that level compared to last.
  • Options
    Is he out of contract in the summer? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Is he out of contract in the summer? 
    Yes he is, according to the latest Squad Update on here
  • Options
    Jones is our only ok centre half. If Deji can't get in the team then we may as well get rid. Terrible at Oxford and subbed off before ht.