Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Copa America 2021

Comments

• Options
    Brazil v Venezuela tonight for those who've not had enough football today!!
    BBC iPlayer (KO was at 10pm) for those wondering.
  • Options
    Feels odd watching a silent stadium again
  • Options
    Sounds like they are pumping in fan sounds to the stadium now
  • Options
    Terrible defending for the goal.
  • Options
    Neymar who is still only 29, now has 67 goals (10 behind Pele) and 106 caps (Cafu has 142) for Brazil.

He should overtake Pele by next year, and injuries permitting will beat Cafu's record too. Both will take a long time to be beaten.
  • Options
    Is the BBC showing highlights of these games or is it just live on the red button? 
  • Options
    Is the BBC showing highlights of these games or is it just live on the red button? 
    Love on iPlayer, red button or BBC.  Different games on different places.

its 2:35 am and I’m just watching Paraguay vs 10 man Bolivia.  2-1 to Paraguay at the moment 
  • Options
    Turns out his Mum is Chilean so fair play to him, obviously was never getting near the England squad.

Not bad, plays in the Championship one month, the next makes his international debut against Messi and Aguero.
  • Options
    Messi now has 73 goals and 51 assists for Argentina. 124 goal involvements in 151 caps.

I hate it when people say he doesn't do it on the international stage. The bloke literally carries them, overall they're a very average team.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Turns out his Mum is Chilean so fair play to him, obviously was never getting near the England squad.

Not bad, plays in the Championship one month, the next makes his international debut against Messi and Aguero.
    I wonder if he has a Barton / McClaren type accent :D
  • Options
    Messi now has 73 goals and 51 assists for Argentina. 124 goal involvements in 151 caps.

I hate it when people say he doesn't do it on the international stage. The bloke literally carries them, overall they're a very average team.
    Probably too small to carry 10 grown men.
  • Options

He definitely added the “Diaz” thing though (assume it’s his mother maiden name) as his full name is Benjamin Anthony Brereton!
  • Options
    Yes Diaz is his Mums surname. Clearly means a lot to her side of the family, so it's not quite a Clinton Morrison or Cascarino situation.

“I’ve known for quite a while that Chile were looking at me, but I just kept my head down and wanted to do well for Blackburn Rovers.

“Then just recently they’ve been in touch with me and my family, to let us know, and we’ve made the decision that we want to do it and give it my best shot. It’s a real honour, Chile are a great team to be a part of and my mum and my granddad, and all the family, are very proud. It’s really special for them. They were all in tears when they found out. It’s really exciting and they’re really proud of me and I can’t wait to play."

• Options

The same team that have had Tevez, Aguero, Mascherano, Demichelis, Heinze, Otamendi, Romero, Di Maria, Zabaleta, Higuain, Lavezzi and Dybala all in the last 10 years? 
  • Options
    Brereton just became the only Englishman to score in international football tonight.
  • Options
    I heard this morning that they have 58 confirmed covid cases among the teams, invluding 33 players. So maybe holding this in Brazil, home of a covid denial president, wasn't such a bright idea.
    Up to 82 now.

37 are from players/members of team staff and another 45 are from workers hired for the tournament.
  • Options
    I heard this morning that they have 58 confirmed covid cases among the teams, invluding 33 players. So maybe holding this in Brazil, home of a covid denial president, wasn't such a bright idea.
    Football being played at any cost.  Crazy.

Good to hear from players and manager from Denmark and Finland that resuming the game last Saturday was not wanted and wrong.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

You have a valid point but it would be interesting to see how many goals he has scored against international powerhouses such as El Salvador and Venezuela.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    cafc999 said:

You have a valid point but it would be interesting to see how many goals he has scored against international powerhouses such as El Salvador and Venezuela.

• Options
    cafc999 said:

That's no different from the top European strikers boosting their stats against San Marino, Gibraltar, Liechtenstein and the Faroe Islands. 

The South American World Cup qualifiers are of a higher calibre than the European equivalent. Bolivia (81) are the lowest ranked side that Messi would face. UEFA has 19 member nations ranked below that.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    MrLargo said:
    cafc999 said:

That's no different from the top European strikers boosting their stats against San Marino, Gibraltar, Liechtenstein and the Faroe Islands. 

The South American World Cup qualifiers are of a higher calibre than the European equivalent. Bolivia (81) are the lowest ranked side that Messi would face. UEFA has 19 member nations ranked below that.
    Not to mention South American Nations are constantly playing either other as there are so few teams.

As a European team, sometimes you can get lucky in your Group

e.g. England for example, the last time they had to seriously worry about a "Brazil" type Nation in their Qualifying Group was back in 2002 (Germany) and 1998 (Italy)... Of course it helps the fact that we're one of the most consistent qualifiers, but if we started to have Wales / Scotland type Qualifying Records, then we'd be re-looking at that.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:
    cafc999 said:

That was not the point I was trying to make. However it is a factor. Just have a look a Brazil's claim that they have never failed to qualify for a World Cup, I mean it would be harder for them not to qualify in the group they play in. 
  • Options
    cafc999 said:
    MrLargo said:
    cafc999 said:

That was not the point I was trying to make. However it is a factor. Just have a look a Brazil's claim that they have never failed to qualify for a World Cup, I mean it would be harder for them not to qualify in the group they play in. 
    Fair comment. Nearly half of the ten teams qualify, so you would expect Brazil and Argentina to get through every time.

However, the remaining 8 sides are all competent. Peru are roughly on a par with the Czech Republic, currently better than Ireland, Bulgaria and Romania, but they've only been to one World Cup since the 80's. So Messi is very rarely, if ever, coming up against team of postman, plumbers and bakers, whereas must qualifying groups in Europe has at least one of those whipping boys.
  • Options
    Weird formation graphic of the day:

• Options
    edited July 2021
    A three match ban isn't enough punishment.