Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Dalian Atkinson

Comments

• How the fuck has it taken this long to come to court? Seriously? 
  • I feel like this has gone completely under the radar and not enough has been made of it.

How can you taser someone for 33 seconds and have any excuse?! Guilty as charged surely.
    If this was in the US I imagine there would be rioting just now.
  • This is shameful 
  • It's shocking how these police behaved.
  • The prosecution witnesses may well be accurately describing what happened and the defendants may be guilty as charged - but the jury will decide that.  
  • This makes horrible reading. 

In fact, the theme from the current season's LOD really ringing true here.
    I believe it was delayed due to Covid.
    It has still taken an absurdly long time.
    Awful.
  • It's shocking how these police behaved.
    Is it? I find it sad that I’m not shocked by things like this any more.
  • Why haven't the identities of the officer's been splashed across the press? Has this been hidden or squashed!?
  • Sponsored links:

Delayed four and a half years? 
  • mendonca said:
    Why haven't the identities of the officer's been splashed across the press? Has this been hidden or squashed!?
    Still named and pictured on the BBC’s website.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-shropshire-56979521

Still getting my head around the fact that the male PC kicked Atkinson in the head so hard that indentations of his laces were left in the skin. That takes some doing and goes way beyond reasonable force. Hopefully justice will be served.
  • It sounds like murder and accessory to murder to me. I can't see how beating him and kicking him in the head could be an alternative to cuffing him when he was already incapacitated.
  • Coverage of this tragic incident only reached any prominence because of the fame of the deceased.
    "Erratic" suspects coming off 2nd best in altercations with law enforcement doesn't ruffle the sensibilities of the authorities or the media unless that suspect is well known.
    We can take as read that DPP, old bill, MSM and the establishment in general are predisposed to playing down/covering up police brutality.
    The motivation among elements in all 4 will be skewed by the ethnicity of the deceased.
    Those who have very successfully spent the last 4 years kicking this particular can down the road in the sincere hope it would end up in the long grass of "not in the public interest" are now reaping the unforeseen consequence of that cynicism.
    Our jury selection is far less corrupt than that in the USA.  The jury in all cases is vetted for any possible influence to which they may have been subjected, either way.  But the defense must now know that the chances of 12 good citizens not having been influenced by the tawdry continuing coverage of a superficially similar incident in Minneapolis, must be tiny.
    These 12 good citizens, I'm sure, will decide the outcome on the evidence presented in court, very much not the braying hysteria of the MSM, but oh how the accused and their advocates must wish they'd got it done a year or more ago. 

• If they are found guilty it's hard to think of an appropriate sentence for them - gutless, cowardly behaviour by bullies in uniforms.

• I feel like this has gone completely under the radar and not enough has been made of it.

How can you taser someone for 33 seconds and have any excuse?! Guilty as charged surely.
    If this was in the US I imagine there would be rioting just now.
    And?
  • sad sad all round .. a mentally ill man abused by the police .. and policemen must learn that however long it might take to get to court, nowadays with cameras and witnesses everywhere, there is only a slim chance of getting away with assaulting and battering arrestees 
  • A bit like the coward that used his truncheon over thirty times on a mentally handicapped teenager who was also hit by a taste. He is not going to face prosecution but was fired from the MET.
  • Simply disgusting on every level, but for those who have witnessed our police dealing with football fans, it is no surprise as they are riddled with power-crazy thugs in uniform, but thankfully they are still the minority but like in all industries, undermine the good work done by the majority.
  • No doubt retired early on full pension beacuse of stress.
  • Sponsored links:

• I wonder if the OB involved were B’ham city fans.
  • Very sad case:

Poor Mental health at a dangerous level,  who are a danger to their selves and others; Dalian grabbed his father around the throat and then totally OTT treatment by Police officers who abuse their positions by not using just enough force to subdue a human being, who needed understanding. 

Thousands of cases a day with male and female police officers dealing with understanding with potential dangerous situations. Where folk are screaming and hooting be it drugs, drink or not taking medication.

This couple of Police officers will be judged in the court of law. The evidence of the neighbours who phoned the police wanted the situation quietened down not a man to lose his life.

• The police officer accused of murdering Dalian Atkinson swore and urged his partner to hit the stricken former footballer with her baton as he lay injured, a jury has heard.

The jury at Birmingham crown court heard on Friday that after the stun gun felled Atkinson, he was struck with a baton by PC Mary Ellen Bettley-Smith, who attended the emergency call with Monk.

The two officers were in a relationship at the time. Bettley-Smith denies assault.

Lisa Howard, who witnessed the incident, told the jury that after Atkinson fell to the floor her view was partially obscured by a parked car, but she could see his legs.

She said both officers knelt around Atkinson, who other witnesses have said was apparently motionless. Howard said she heard the male officer say to the female officer, “fucking hit him, fucking hit him”.

Howard said the female officer raised her baton, which was in her right hand, and brought it down more than once.

• PC Benjamin Monk has been found guilty of the manslaughter of ex-footballer Dalian Atkinson.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-shropshire-57495426
  • I wonder if there will be an appeal?
  • This has absolutely nothing to do with my own thoughts about the case but I can't see the police force letting this one go without a hell of a fight. It wouldn't surprise me if he never sees the inside of a prison. 
  • This has absolutely nothing to do with my own thoughts about the case but I can't see the police force letting this one go without a hell of a fight. It wouldn't surprise me if he never sees the inside of a prison. 
    Seriously there will be uproar if this c*** doesn't do time.
  • Tasered for six times the normal time and kicked twice in the head does not appear to be "reasonable force". Putting that to one side, the fact that the Jury took just 18 hours to deliver their verdict and were unanimous in that respect is more enough for me to believe that justice has been served. No one is above the Law but, equally, every day Police Officers are placed in situations that are beyond comprehension of everyday folk and I have nothing but admiration for them.
  • I wonder if there will be an appeal?
    There would need to be grounds for an appeal of the conviction - usually points of law rather than I don't agree with it! He could appeal the sentence rather than the conviction, but we don't know what the sentence is yet (do we?).

He will do time.
  • bobmunro said:
    I wonder if there will be an appeal?
    There would need to be grounds for an appeal of the conviction - usually points of law rather than I don't agree with it! He could appeal the sentence rather than the conviction, but we don't know what the sentence is yet (do we?).

He will do time.
    Segregated too for obvious reasons. No verdict on the assault charge against his colleague and at the time  of the death girlfriend.