Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Marcus Maddison - 20 months jail for GBH (p77)

Comments

• se9addick said:
    He couldn't motivate himself for £2000 a week, so can't see it happening for £500 a week...not a chance. 

Personally, I can't see him making a single appearance for them...

£500 a week? Surely he isn’t getting anything like that? 
    I've heard he is. Must be some sort of record for that level. Was looking for houses as well, maybe he's downsizing. Fair play to him...
  • He couldn't motivate himself for £2000 a week, so can't see it happening for £500 a week...not a chance. 

Personally, I can't see him making a single appearance for them...
    It's clear that Maddison needs to get his head right. Living back near his kid and only having to train part time might be just the thing he needs to do that. He then might decide he's back in love with the game and want to step back up to a higher level.

He might go completely the other way and decide he just wants to carry on playing occasionally whilst focusing on tattooing and gaming. It's his life, so good luck to him.
  • Mate of mine lives in a village just outside Spalding - he’s not particularly shocked by this, as Spalding manager ex Posh and mates with Maddison - reckons a local businessman must be footing the bill - I have watched a match at Spalding - it’s brutal football - no quarter given - Maddison won’t last long at that level - will get chunks kicked out of him 
  • Mate of mine lives in a village just outside Spalding - he’s not particularly shocked by this, as Spalding manager ex Posh and mates with Maddison - reckons a local businessman must be footing the bill - I have watched a match at Spalding - it’s brutal football - no quarter given - Maddison won’t last long at that level - will get chunks kicked out of him 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obneC8zQNIQ
    It will without doubt test his mental strength in terms of not reacting. My old Sunday League team used to have a bloke that was on Arsenals books but was released due to an injury. He used to get the shit kicked out of him. I can only imagine the grief Marcus will get playing against players that would give their right arm to have had the opportunities he has had
  • Ian Wright quoted years ago,that he use to play in London Kent and border league,and after playing against some of those centre backs,the Premiership defenders held no fear for him,I hope MM does ok but it wont be easy.
  • I just hope he's happy and finds what works for him.
  • Ian Wright quoted years ago,that he use to play in London Kent and border league,and after playing against some of those centre backs,the Premiership defenders held no fear for him,I hope MM does ok but it wont be easy.
    It's a lot less physical now than it was back then. Sure MM will receive a few kicks but he's got the ability to see it coming. His main frustration will be players who probably won't be on the same wavelength and will go long at the first sign of pressure. 

On the ball he will be fine and will no doubt crack a few goals in from distance because he has such a good shot. Dead-balls will be a big thing for him too.

It wouldn't surprise me if a) he does so well, a club higher up makes him a good offer or b) he gets totally frustrated and jacks it all in. 

I think what I'd actually like to see, is him stay there for a long while and have just have fun playing football with decent people. 
  • Just re-watching the End of season show and saw that excellent strike MM scored after coming on as a sub. He didn't make an appearance the next two games. You could tell something was up but hard to tell between LB and MM as to who the aggier would be. 
  • Unfortunately for Marcus his time with us was a perfect storm scenario in terms of bad timing. With the stuff goin on his his personal life, add to that COVID, mix a bit of self destruct mode, add to that LB would not be the best person in the world to manage a player through that situation imo. Sorry it didnt work out with us and all the best wishes for future happiness MM
  • Sponsored links:

I saw Spalding the day(iirc) before Curbs last game at Man United.
    After the game I saw Watford destroy palice at Sainsburys, the locals were bewildered thinking there was a Watford fan up there.
  • Still wearing Charlton gear??
  • I don't think that I am bypassing a sense of morality if I just don't like the guy and not very interested in his stories.

Absolute corker of a goal he scored for us. I really thought that was the "start".
  • mendonca said:
    I don't think that I am bypassing a sense of morality if I just don't like the guy and not very interested in his stories.

Absolute corker of a goal he scored for us. I really thought that was the "start".
    I don't like him much either on a personal level but I do think it's quite illustrative that talent and ability can only take a player so far in the game. At least in part, you need to have a certain mentality to go beyond a certain ceiling and not every player has it.
  • A good friend of mine (yeh I know but this is legit) involved in football has connections in the North East and Peterborough and says that MM allegedly has a big gambling problem.
  • Sponsored links:

• In my opinion, he's saying now that he wanted to get out of daily training and professional football, but with depression the mind can play tricks... when you're unhappy the brain tries to rationalise it, pin it on something you can blame, something you can fix.
    Then, when you finally fix that, there is a release of pressure and a period where things feel better. But after that, the depression creeps back and you realise the thing your mind has been fixated on wasn't the problem after all. In fact, it might have been the thing holding you together. 

Getting up at 1pm every day with little in the way of goals, he will regret this in time.

• Quite a tough read to be honest. A very confused guy who clearly needs this time to decide what he wants to do. 

Not exactly healthy to be 27 and want to sleep until 1 in the afternoon. I do find it odd how he says he became disappointed that he wasn’t signed for Championship side, but sentence before says he ate curry every Friday night and a supermarket meal deal before Saturday game. Clubs aren’t going to spend serious money on a player with that kind of diet, with the talent he has, he could get away with it in league 1, but not any higher. 

Hope he can get everything back on track in his life, even if that means no more professional football. 
    To be fair he didn’t get away with that diet / professionalism in L1 - because he was bloody awful for us. Shame 
  • He wasn't bloody awful for us. He performed well at times. Bowyer loathed him and the feeling was mutual
  • Leuth said:
    He wasn't bloody awful for us. He performed well at times. Bowyer loathed him and the feeling was mutual
    But that is actually the really important bit. Whichever Maddison turned up - the gifted game-changer or the zero effort slacker - was pretty much decided on a whim.

Bowyer is/was far from perfect and they were always unlikely to see eye to eye but the fault goes both ways there. Bowyer having high expectations regarding effort etc was not exactly top secret, Maddison being unable/unwilling to meet that was always going to end poorly.
  • edited June 2021
    I changed my mind about Marcus a few times .

There is no doubt he had great ability . When we were last in L1 along with Erhun Oztumer he looked an exciting player and one I would love for us to sign. 

I particularly remember when he came on as a sub against us. He changed the game and set up a last minute winner for them.

I was relieved when he didn't sign in the Championship. I felt at the time we needed experience and by then I didn't like the way he was treating Peterborough and I wondered about his temperament.

When he signed I was initially against it. He won me over by his cameo against Sunderland. It wasn't just his sublime free kick but his defensive clearance at the end which impressed me.I thought that it showed he was a team player. 

This positive  impression was further consolidated by the two games where I saw him play live against MKD and AFC Wombles. Add the two wonder goals against Orient and Plymouth and I thought we had a great player on our hands.

Obviously off the pitch it was a different story and my previous view was more accurate. 

I hope that he finds peace in his new life. 

• Leuth said:
    He wasn't bloody awful for us. He performed well at times. Bowyer loathed him and the feeling was mutual
    He absolutely was. I’m in the Bowyer camp of wanting to see our players at least put a shift regardless of ability.

This lad had ability but was one of the laziest players I’ve ever seen in the shirt. He didn’t track back or press just wanted to shoot from ridiculous positions. 

It wasn’t just Bowyer either was it, as he couldn’t break into the Bolton team either - in the league below.

I hope he sorts himself out and gets happy but I was  relieved to see him leave 
  • edited June 2021
    Not sure I agree that he didn't track back or press. He saved the game against Sunderland by tracking back and making a goal-saving header in the six yard box. Bowyer praised him a few times (and himself) by talking about how much running he was getting out of him. But something obviously triggered a downwards spiral where he didn't want to be there anymore and started faking injuries and dropping out of training. 

I've worked in jobs where you're expected to be at your very best every day, with nowhere to hide if you're having an off day. It is absolutely exhausting. And if you have any mental health issues, it's easy to fall into a pit. 

• Chunes said:
    Not sure I agree that he didn't track back or press. He saved the game against Sunderland by tracking back and making a goal-saving header in the six yard box. Bowyer praised him a few times (and himself) by talking about how much running he was getting out of him. But something obviously triggered a downwards spiral where he didn't want to be there anymore and started faking injuries and dropping out of training. 

I've worked in jobs where you're expected to be at your very best every day, with nowhere to hide if you're having an off day. It is absolutely exhausting. And if you have any mental health issues, it's easy to fall into a pit. 

I suffer myself so I totally know that feeling of exhaustion trying to pretend it's all ok. That's why I wished him well.