Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

MLS 2021

Obviously still in the off season but thought I would start this thread now with a few interesting stories breaking over the past few weeks

Comments

• Former Man Utd defender Gabriel Heinze was appointed as the new manager of Atlanta, hopefully he can bring back the touch the last Argentinian had and it will be a good season for the 5 stripes
  • Phil Neville is now being spoken about as the potential manager for Inter Miami, apparently David Beckham has already held discussions with him
  • There were rumours that DC United were in discussions to sign Ozil, personally I would be surprised with that as he would need to drop his wages significantly but if he was to sign for DC United it would be a big signing for them
  • There were rumours that DC United were in discussions to sign Ozil, personally I would be surprised with that as he would need to drop his wages significantly but if he was to sign for DC United it would be a big signing for them
    I’m not sure - I would assume he would be one of the “Designated Players” for DC so he could probably still command astronomical wages there. 

I saw that Messi has started talking about how he’s always dreamed of playing in the US 🤣
  • edited January 2021
    se9addick said:
    There were rumours that DC United were in discussions to sign Ozil, personally I would be surprised with that as he would need to drop his wages significantly but if he was to sign for DC United it would be a big signing for them
    I’m not sure - I would assume he would be one of the “Designated Players” for DC so he could probably still command astronomical wages there. 

I saw that Messi has started talking about how he’s always dreamed of playing in the US 🤣
    I still dont think they would be able to offer anywhere near what he is on at Arsenal lol, so would need to drop his wages significantly 

Ozil is currently on 18M pounds a year i believe which is around 24M Dollars(based on a quick Google search)

Zlatan was on around 7.2M Dollars a year which was the highest in 2019

Hernandez on around 7.2M Dollars a year which ahaim was the highest in 2020

Both obviously LA Galaxy players, just cant see DC going to massively high
  • se9addick said:
    There were rumours that DC United were in discussions to sign Ozil, personally I would be surprised with that as he would need to drop his wages significantly but if he was to sign for DC United it would be a big signing for them

I still dont think they would be able to offer anywhere near what he is on at Arsenal lol, so would need to drop his wages significantly 

Ozil is currently on 18M pounds a year i believe which is around 24M Dollars(based on a quick Google search)

Zlatan was on around 7.2M Dollars a year which was the highest in 2019

Hernandez on around 7.2M Dollars a year which ahaim was the highest in 2020

Both obviously LA Galaxy players, just cant see DC going to massively high
    Would probably make more sense to compare what he will be able to command elsewhere when his contract at Arsenal comes to an end because that £18M will likely be a thing of the past. MLS might be his best bet at that point. 
  • Be nice if my local team, the Vancouver Whitecaps, could put on a few performances. Absolutely awful last year.
  • Phil Neville has stepped down as England women's manager a few months early.

Looks like Inter Miami are getting there man then lol
  • Saturday 3rd April MLS season starts
  • edited January 2021
    Hoping to get a fix of live football when the new stadium opens in Austin. The city is very excited for the inaugural season - prior to this year, it’s been the largest city in the country without a pro sports team.

Think the additions of Besler and Ring from KC and NYC respectively will be make sure that the first season is a respectable one - closer to what Nashville did and not the circus of Cincinnati, hopefully.

Sandgaard, if you’re reading this - please organise a pre season tour with a stop in Texas. :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Opening day / weekend fixtures announced:

Friday 16th April:
    Houston Dynamo FC vs. San Jose Earthquakes
    Seattle Sounders FC vs. Minnesota United FC

Saturday 17th April:
    New York Red Bulls vs Sporting Kansas City
    CF Montreal vs Toronto FC
    Orlando City SC vs Atlanta United
    LAFC vs Austin FC
    FC Dallas vs Colorado Rapids
    DC United vs NYCFC
    Nashville SC vs FC Cincinnati
    Chicago Fire FC vs New England Revolution

Sunday 18th April:
    Inter Miami CF vs LA Galaxy
    Columbus Crew SC vs Philadelphia Union
    Vancouver Whitecaps FC vs Portland Timbers
  • edited March 2021
    MLS have announced every team's first home game so that means the vast majority of the second weekend of games have been announced too.

In addition, the first home games in their new stadiums were announced for FC Cincinnati and Austin FC:

Sunday 16th May:
    FC Cincinnati vs Inter Miami CF

Saturday 19th June:
    Austin FC vs San Jose Earthquakes
  • I'm hoping I can go to the Whitecaps Portland game.
  • edited March 2021
    Full 2021 schedule was released yesterday. Heavily weighted in favour of intra-conference matches to restrict cross-country travel as much as possible.

MLS experts can correct me if I’m wrong but you’d usually play home and away against all teams in your conference (East or West) and then one game, home or away, against the teams in the other conference to make up the remainder. At the end of it all, every team has played 34 games.

Taking Austin’s fixtures as an example of what’s changed for 2021, they play only Nashville and Columbus from the eastern conference while having three games against Dallas, Houston and other western conference teams.
  • I get that the stadium isn't finished and there's no fans in attendance anyway, but looks incredibly weird having a game played out on a training pitch doesn't even have permanent goals!
  • Sponsored links:

• (I've seen its not an MLS game btw but I'm surprised they haven't at least used a stadium somewhere for the game)
  • edited April 2021
    Results from “opening night” last night:

Houston Dynamo 2-1 San Jose Earthquakes

Seattle Sounders 4-0 Minnesota United

Today’s televised fixtures:

Orlando City v Atlanta United

LAFC v Austin FC
  • edited April 2021
    Anyone see the Sounder's first goal? Absolute belter.
  • Inter Miami already f*cked up before the season even begins, they have 4 designated players instead of 3 and will now have to await the outcome of an inquest into it, could be fines or point deductions
  • sam3110 said:
    Inter Miami already f*cked up before the season even begins, they have 4 designated players instead of 3 and will now have to await the outcome of an inquest into it, could be fines or point deductions
    I always thought people were joking about David Beckham's inability to count... Didnt realise they were being serious ;) 
  • Columbus Crew have rebranded as Columbus SC with new logo 

fans not happy apparently 
  • MrOneLung said:
    Columbus Crew have rebranded as Columbus SC with new logo 

What does the “SC” part stand for?
  • se9addick said:
    MrOneLung said:

Soccer Club

bloody stupid franchise system over there
  • Swisdom said:
    se9addick said:
    MrOneLung said:

Soccer Club

bloody stupid franchise system over there
    I don’t know why but that’s really jarring.