Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Valley Pitch

Comments

• Options
    mendonca said:
    Hex said:
    mendonca said:
    Mr Weatherman, it looks to be hitting a positive temperature on multiple upcoming days. 

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/forecast/u10hbuy8f#?date=2021-02-09
    The nights will do the damage.
    It's a definite cancellation then it sounds. You'll be more than surprised to see it go ahead it seems @Hex?
    Yes, I'd be surprised.  It would probably do more damage to the pitch as well if it goes ahead.
  • Options
    Hex said:
    The last time we had a game off because of a frozen pitch I recall CAFC saying the temperature of The Valley pitch (in a valley) was 2/3C below the official temperature on the weather report.
    That would normally be about right on a cold night but the huge amount of rain is affecting that.

Affecting in what way?
    If the ground is saturated then any frost will penetrate deeper below the surface and it will take longer for the pitch to thaw, and then there will be even more water in the pitch
    Hex said:
    Hex said:
    The last time we had a game off because of a frozen pitch I recall CAFC saying the temperature of The Valley pitch (in a valley) was 2/3C below the official temperature on the weather report.
    That would normally be about right on a cold night but the huge amount of rain is affecting that.

Affecting in what way?
    Keeping the soil warmer.  It’s noticeable today how quickly paths are losing their snow despite the temperature being below freezing.
    Thanks for clearing that up lads :smile:
    So it will take longer to thaw and will be quicker to thaw.
    Evens Hex
    2/1 randy andy.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    -4C/-5C Wednesday night.
    -4C Friday night.
    1C achieved by 2pm Saturday.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/se7
  • Options

A huge well done to all of our ground staff who worked so hard at Sparrows Lane to make sure training could take place in the snow today #cafc

imageimageimage
  • Options
    I recall going to Walsall where they had the braziers on the go. It didn't work and the game got called of, so we spent the afternoon on the piss in Birmingham. 
  • Options
    I presume they take the covers off to let the pitch breath a bit then put them back on.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2021
    From the above, it looks like they have a strategy with the pitch to ensure the game can go ahead this Saturday.
  • Options
    Bitterly cold for the next 3 nights, and around freezing during the day, the groundstaff have a lot of work to do to keep the game on
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    From the above, it looks like they have a strategy with the pitch to ensure the game can go ahead this Saturday.
    You sound surprised?
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Off_it said:
    mendonca said:
    You sound surprised?
    I'm not, but a few members concluded on Monday that the game does not have a chance of going ahead (on Saturday).
  • Options
    The ground staff seem more confident. looking at the forecast for Charlton, it does seem to be getting colder in SE7 than predicted a few days ago. I remember reading that frost covers are effective in air temperatures up to -6 but I think -4 is pretty marginal from experience so we will have to see. 
  • Options
    Fingers crossed that we can get the game on. I may be misremembering, but isn't there an area of the pitch that is problematic because it's shadowed by the Jimmy Seed  Stand and gets little or no sun ? If so, I expect we'll try and work on that section with heaters etc.

The topography of The Valley is also relevant - as @Covered End says, the last time we lost a game because of a frozen pitch, the club said that temperature at pitch level was 2/3C below that in the official weather report.

• Options
    One postponed game was because the lino's running area (off the pitch) was frozen, although the pitch was ok.
    It was on the north east side. 
  • Options
    Blucher said:
    Fingers crossed that we can get the game on. I may be misremembering, but isn't there an area of the pitch that is problematic because it's shadowed by the Jimmy Seed  Stand and gets little or no sun ? If so, I expect we'll try and work on that section with heaters etc.

The topography of The Valley is also relevant - as @Covered End says, the last time we lost a game because of a frozen pitch, the club said that temperature at pitch level was 2/3C below that in the official weather report.

Yes, I mentioned earlier that the temperature you see in weather forecasts is the air temperature, measured 4ft/1.2m above the ground (usually grass).  The top ground layer (an inch or so) can create its own micro climate in the air immediately above, particularly in calmer conditions.  As an example, currently in the vast lawned grounds of chateaux Hex, the air temperature is -1.8C while the ground/grass temperature is -4.4C.

So with a predicted low of -5 to -8 (air temperature) there may be a ground temperature of, say, -8C to -11C at The Valley.  Can rain covers offer protection ?
  • Options
    We don't have rain covers as far as I'm aware.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    One postponed game was because the lino's running area (off the pitch) was frozen, although the pitch was ok.
    Thought we solved that by putting AstroTurf down? 
  • Options
    Maybe, does Astroturf not freeze/not freeze as much? 
  • Options
    Don't ask me mate I was an HR 👨 
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Providing the drainage is good Astro would be perfect for a light frost, if however there's a build up of water and then a frost it becomes harder than frosty soil and as such can be more dangerous.
  • Options
    Hex said:
    Blucher said:

Yes, I mentioned earlier that the temperature you see in weather forecasts is the air temperature, measured 4ft/1.2m above the ground (usually grass).  The top ground layer (an inch or so) can create its own micro climate in the air immediately above, particularly in calmer conditions.  As an example, currently in the vast lawned grounds of chateaux Hex, the air temperature is -1.8C while the ground/grass temperature is -4.4C.

So with a predicted low of -5 to -8 (air temperature) there may be a ground temperature of, say, -8C to -11C at The Valley.  Can rain covers offer protection ?
    They are frost covers designed for air temperatures up to -6 I believe.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Providing the drainage is good Astro would be perfect for a light frost, if however there's a build up of water and then a frost it becomes harder than frosty soil and as such can be more dangerous.
    Pour a couple of kettles of boiling water over the area.

Surely that would do the trick ?
  • Options
    evans hanky 

• Options
    Any of our budding Wincey Willis' care to change their forecasts from earlier in the week on this one?
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Any of our budding Wincey Willis' care to change their forecasts from earlier in the week on this one?
    What is your prediction as to whether the game will go ahead?