Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Getting stoned in 2021

I haven't seen a thread for this, but I wanted to give us all the option to use the thread for accountability and keeping us going.
(I won't be tracking people like previous threads did)

Here we are in 2021... Not much has changed but I weigh too much to run comfortably... I'm not fat, but not in the shape I want to be. 

For me my fitness and weight have had their biggest challenges ever over the last 12 months. I remain in reasonable shape, but to make running easier need to lose about 10kgs (1.5-1.75 st). 

So here was how I weighed in on the 1st.

Weight 87kg (Highest ever)
Body Fat 19.5% (okay, would like to get this back to 14-16%)
Water 55.7% (okay, would like to see this around 60%)
Muscle Mass 66.5kg (Good, need to try to keep this above 64kg)
Viscceral fat 6.5 (Good, but has been lower.)
Metabolic Age 31 (A year younger than actual, want this around 25-27)
(I use Tanita body composition scales and these numbers are based on those readings)

My goal is to bring the weight down to 76/77kg by my birthday in May and hopefully in time for a relatively normal summer. 

What are your weightloss/gain goals for 2021?

Comments

• Want to lose a stone by end of the year, if travel opens up might take Ryan Air up on their 'Jab & Go' offer, fly to India for a week , that should sort out me weight loss!
  • I’m heaviest I’ve been for about 4-5 years. Bar a bit of chocolate, my diet isn’t bad, I rarely drink at home and I exercise a couple of times a week. But working from home and not having regular day to day movement has put weight on that won’t shift (even barely eating a fortnight over Xmas with Covid didn’t even shift a pound).

Personally, I feel stuck in a narrow weight range until we get back to normal. I’ll give it a go over the next couple of months, but currently can’t do any exercise 
  • I weigh the exact same amount as when I started the challenge last year... 204 lbs, although I fluctuated throughout the year from 197 up to 210 so I am at least in the middle.

Hoping to end this year at no more than 182 lbs (13 stone). It's a big ask, but I think I can do it... This time... ;)
  • Lost 2 stone from Jan - April last year but start this one the same weight I started 2020.  Lockdown really put a stop to my weight loss plans...

Doing dry Jan and maybe Feb again this year which always starts me off in the right direction and have booked a sprint triathlon in September to try to keep me motivated.
  • I lost weight pretty quickly at the start of last year (over 1st) and have kept it off for the best part. In the last 6 weeks it crept back up a little but I think that is based on a meal plan I've following as part of one of the Bodycoach's 90 day plans and a bit of Xmas excess.

The plan im doing is all HIIT workouts plus ive also been doing 5k and 10k runs. I've still got a couple of months left of the graduate plan on this but think I might have  a rotator cuff issue. Seeing a physio later. Unfortunately this seems to be a bit of a pattern with me trying to keep fit. I keep picking up niggling injuries which can be a bit demoralising when you've been making good progress. At the moment I'm probably the fittest I have felt in the last 7 years!

So my aim for this year is to stay around the 12st mark. Finish this plan I'm on then try and go longer distances on my runs. Got a half marathon pencilled in for April but can't see that happening as a mass participation event.
  • anyone else saw the thread title and assumed it had a different meaning?
  • Completey get the desire to exercise heavily if you want to lose weight but what I don't get is the runners who are already in a good shape but continue to do it (regularly). Unless they're training for a marathon or something is it just to add a few years onto their lives? If so won't they have "wasted" those years doing the exercise anyway?
    Not a dig at anyone as each to their own and admittedly I'm a lazy sod that is probably just trying to make myself feel better for not exercising much!
  • Don’t understand your post @Talal

are you simply saying you don’t understand why people enjoy running?
  • Don’t understand your post @Talal

are you simply saying you don’t understand why people enjoy running?
    No, I thought most people did it to be fit rather than out of enjoyment. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I guess the two go hand in hand
  • I guess the two go hand in hand
    True. I'm one of these freaks that never seems to put on weight no matter what I eat and despite little exercise so maybe I'm not best placed to comment. 
  • edited January 2021
    Talal said:
    Completey get the desire to exercise heavily if you want to lose weight but what I don't get is the runners who are already in a good shape but continue to do it (regularly). Unless they're training for a marathon or something is it just to add a few years onto their lives? If so won't they have "wasted" those years doing the exercise anyway?
    Not a dig at anyone as each to their own and admittedly I'm a lazy sod that is probably just trying to make myself feel better for not exercising much!

This should explain it...it's all about the high!  NSFW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atQaH339Xb8

• Got myself up to an epic 16st 6 over Christmas and will get back down to 13st 10ish as I was in Lockdown 1.

For all its many drawbacks I find the strict lockdown does help me with focus in terms of consistent healthy eating and exercise as it is doable to get into a routine which after a couple of weeks is like clockwork.

Good luck everyone.

• Talal said:
    Completey get the desire to exercise heavily if you want to lose weight but what I don't get is the runners who are already in a good shape but continue to do it (regularly). Unless they're training for a marathon or something is it just to add a few years onto their lives? If so won't they have "wasted" those years doing the exercise anyway?
    For me its been about challenging myself with my running. To do quicker 5k and 10k runs and start upping the distance. Its also a nice break from work or being stuck inside the house for days on end. Even if awful weather its still enjoyable 
  • edited January 2021
    Carter said:
    I've been into edibles as I can't stand the smell of weed and they are potent as shit 

2 maybe 3 cubes of the dairy milk is plenty or 2 of the cola bottles. Watched what we do in the Shadows series whilst high as a kite and it blew my mind as well as made me laugh so hard I thought I'd damaged my ribs 
    Vape cartridges. Trust me. 
  • colthe3rd said:
    Jan 2019 I was 117kg, the heaviest I had been for about 10 years, decided it was time to do something about it. I've always been quite big and had fluctuated up and down for years, keeping it off was always the issue. Jan 20 it was down to 107kg, it was slow progress but by this time I had supplemented the better eating with cycling. Just before Christmas I was down to 91kg (I was pretty strict all last year so allowed myself a week of eating and drinking whatever I wanted so haven't stepped back on the scales just yet). 

Dry Jan again this year and after buying an indoor trainer for the bike in October last year I'm aiming to lose even more this year. 
    Unbelievable the amount you've done in a year. 

I've got the indoor trainer in my garage, bike on it ready to go. Just need to find the motivation to get on it...
  • Huskaris said:
    colthe3rd said:
    Jan 2019 I was 117kg, the heaviest I had been for about 10 years, decided it was time to do something about it. I've always been quite big and had fluctuated up and down for years, keeping it off was always the issue. Jan 20 it was down to 107kg, it was slow progress but by this time I had supplemented the better eating with cycling. Just before Christmas I was down to 91kg (I was pretty strict all last year so allowed myself a week of eating and drinking whatever I wanted so haven't stepped back on the scales just yet). 

Dry Jan again this year and after buying an indoor trainer for the bike in October last year I'm aiming to lose even more this year. 

I've got the indoor trainer in my garage, bike on it ready to go. Just need to find the motivation to get on it...
    No time like the present, get yourself out there and crack on. Hopefully you have something like zwift set up with it as well as if not staring at a wall and cycling on a stationary bike definitely won't be great for the motivation.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2021
    So I'm at the lowest I've been for about 10 years, at 87.9kg, running more, eating better, so it'll be chipping bits off that over the year. Hoping to do a 10k mass participation event in late 2021 but seem to have a foot problem which I hope it just wear not something a bit more worrying. 

Aim for this year is to add in more HIIT and Core work, try and keep eating well if I end up going back into London, finally sort the ankle foot problems, and hopefully a bit more cycling 
  • colthe3rd said:
    Huskaris said:
    colthe3rd said:

No time like the present, get yourself out there and crack on. Hopefully you have something like zwift set up with it as well as if not staring at a wall and cycling on a stationary bike definitely won't be great for the motivation.
    Yeah I have Zwift etc set up. Just looking for excuses the whole time. 

Will rack up some big numbers once I get into the swing of it, as I'm pretty good, nowhere near someone like @Leroy Ambrose but there was a period where I was doing pretty nicely, 150-200 miles a week... Need to get back to that I guess! Moving offices so I couldn't have a cycle commute was the worst thing that ever happened to me fitness wise, not that it would make a difference with the pandemic I guess 
  • edited January 2021
    Any recommendations on smart scales? Are they a bit of a con or is the other info like body fat etc accurate? 

Started couch to 5k in October and did my first 10k on New year's Day (hangover free!) Will be continuing with the running and mainly vegetarian diet but would like to track weight too.

@Talal you have to keep running to maintain fitness/weight (normally) otherwise it's harder next time and you lose fitness far quicker than you gain it. Plus once you get into a routine, it's enjoyable. I'm out in all weathers and although tough while pushing yourself you do get an endorphin payoff. 
  • Any recommendations on smart scales? Are they a bit of a con or is the other info like body fat etc accurate? 

Started couch to 5k in October and did my first 10k on New year's Day (hangover free!) Will be continuing with the running and mainly vegetarian diet but would like to track weight too.

@Talal you have to keep running to maintain fitness/weight (normally) otherwise it's harder next time and you lose fitness far quicker than you gain it. Plus once you get into a routine, it's enjoyable. I'm out in all weathers and although tough while pushing yourself you do get an endorphin payoff. 
    We had Withings ones, but they died, and went for the Eufy ones, and they are good. 
  • I'll take the price of the eufy ones over the withings. Glad you said that, as I was favouring withings. 
  • I'll take the price of the eufy ones over the withings. Glad you said that, as I was favouring withings. 
    The app isn't as good as the Withings one, but it does, and most of my data is in Apple Health and it's easily to look at stuff there

• My weight has been all over the place in the last 3 years. I was 121kg in Jan 2018, by August 2018 I was 84.5kg (far too light and I got scared of food basically). I've been gaining weight fairly consistently since and have gym 4 times a week minimum since, so I have tacked on a fair bit of size. But recently I have got really bad with my diet and am back up to 110kg. I need to get back down to around 95kg this year
  • I had a MOT on myself in December 2019. All though I am very tall the person who did my MOT advised me to lose some weight. Then 2020 furloughed made redundant luckily I got another job. The first lock down I was walking trying to do over 55,000 steps a week which was increased to 60,000 when restrictions where not so harsh . Since I was back at work my walking has gone down . My weight has also gone up and down. Today I was 16st 11.5 which is not bad I was more before Christmas. The target is 16st . Good luck to everyone. Plus if any one has got some tips feel free to share. I do not run but like walking 
  • edited January 2021
    I had a MOT on myself in December 2019. All though I am very tall the person who did my MOT advised me to lose some weight. Then 2020 furloughed made redundant luckily I got another job. The first lock down I was walking trying to do over 55,000 steps a week which was increased to 60,000 when restrictions where not so harsh . Since I was back at work my walking has gone down . My weight has also gone up and down. Today I was 16st 11.5 which is not bad I was more before Christmas. The target is 16st . Good luck to everyone. Plus if any one has got some tips feel free to share. I do not run but like walking 
    In 2009 I was 16 stone (6ft), in a year and a half I got down to 12 stone, and kept it off for 7 years, and have since crept back up to 14.5, but that is hopefully about to change.

I was a student at the time and lived a life similar to the covid lockdown in reality. Making every meal myself etc, the big thing I did was just a couple of chicken breasts cooked in a pan with fry light, with a bit of a sharwoods sauce of your taste (eg curry). The other one was turkey breast with peas and sweetcorn, and a bit of bisto.

The biggest thing I did though was getting a stationery bike. I put on an album that I knew would get me going (John Maus - We must become the pitiless censors of ourselves) and I did it for the length of the album (32 minutes) at the absolute most I could do.

The #1 thing I would do, is find a few healthy but tasty and filling meals that you really like, and just rinse and repeat really. At just shy of 17 stone, diet will be the main thing and going for a walk (I walk to the local pond and back every lunchtime without fail) will help. Once you lose a bit of weight (or if you are "fit" enough, now), get involved in some more intense exercise.

Good luck!
  • colthe3rd said:
    Huskaris said:
    colthe3rd said:

Woke up this morning and thought of you... Not like that...

Started a training course on Zwift, knackered. 

Have to do it every day!