Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Music Radio (rather than talk)

Stopped listening to Music Radio years ago, got totally pissed off with the bleeding DJ's waffling and all the f ing jingles!

Any Radio Station recommendations that might entice me back? I'm sure I'm missing out on loads of good stuff but just can't stand all the bollox from DJ's!

Comments

• Stopped listening to Music Radio years ago, got totally pissed off with the bleeding DJ's waffling and all the f ing jingles!

Any Radio Station recommendations that might entice me back? I'm sure I'm missing out on loads of good stuff but just can't stand all the bollox from DJ's!
    What music do I like?
  • Despite being part of the Global Network, Classic fm is pretty good. DJs keep the waffle to a minimum, no Selco adverts every 30 seconds. I'm not a huge classical music fan, but really enjoy listening.
  • Only music radio I listen to is 6Music, easily the best station in the country, great taste in music and brilliant presenters like Lauren Laverne, Shaun Keaveney and Steve Lemac
  • Jazz FM is great (if you like jazz).   They do talk a fair bit though unfortunately.  
  • Stopped listening to Music Radio years ago, got totally pissed off with the bleeding DJ's waffling and all the f ing jingles!

What music do I like?
    No, what Radio Stations do you listen too, that isn’t full of waffle and bollox?
  • It's so weird - I was literally thinking about radio, and why people listen to it this morning. I've never understood it - if you want to listen to music, why don't you listen to the music you want, rather than what someone else wants you to hear? I suppose it's because music has always been a massive part of my life and I've literally never gone anywhere without my own music playing device (Walkman, discman, mp3 player and now phone) - apart from gigs and clubs, obviously 😏
  • edited November 2020
    If you like listening to the same six songs over and over again then I wholeheartedly recommend my kids pick of Capital FM

;-)
  • It's so weird - I was literally thinking about radio, and why people listen to it this morning. I've never understood it - if you want to listen to music, why don't you listen to the music you want, rather than what someone else wants you to hear? I suppose it's because music has always been a massive part of my life and I've literally never gone anywhere without my own music playing device (Walkman, discman, mp3 player and now phone) - apart from gigs and clubs, obviously 😏
    Suppose that’s why I like 6Music, as it sounds like the stuff I would play anyway, and introduces me to new stuff that I would like 
  • Rothko said:
    It's so weird - I was literally thinking about radio, and why people listen to it this morning. I've never understood it - if you want to listen to music, why don't you listen to the music you want, rather than what someone else wants you to hear? I suppose it's because music has always been a massive part of my life and I've literally never gone anywhere without my own music playing device (Walkman, discman, mp3 player and now phone) - apart from gigs and clubs, obviously 😏
    Suppose that’s why I like 6Music, as it sounds like the stuff I would play anyway, and introduces me to new stuff that I would like 
    I've heard that argument and it's the closest I've seen that makes sense. I've found that (like everybody else, I suppose) the music I listen to now is - largely - the music I listened to when I was 16-25, so bumping along on that, whilst discovering the odd new or previously unlistened to artist is fine for me. I can count the number of new bands I've liked in the past ten years in the fingers of one hand. 
  • Another shout for 6Music here although the playlist gets a bit repetitive so we usually have 2 on in the morning and 6 in the afternoon.

I do think there's a gap in the market for a new station that plays good, new music. Radio X and Absolute are still stuck in 2007.
  • Sponsored links:

• Huskaris said:
    Get Spotify wherever you are and just pick a "Your Daily Mix" of which I have 6 each day. The playlists are always a genre of music you like, and mix ones you love with ones you might not have heard yet. Music tailored perfectly to me. 

I am genuinely surprised that anyone still listens to music radio. 

Plus the weekly release radar which is the same as the above, but all stuff that's been released in the past few weeks. I don't really need anything beyond spotify and as well as curating my own playlists with quite a few followers, I am constantly finding new stuff on there. The added benefit that if I don't like one of these new songs I click next and we're done. I can even say "I dont like this song/artist" and it's less likely to play something of that type/artist again.

Plus no advert, talking and nonsense. £10 a month all in.

I can't believe how much I used to spend on CDs and not even know whether I'd like the album in the end.

This is one area where technology improvements have made a huge improvement to my life.
  • Rothko said:
    It's so weird - I was literally thinking about radio, and why people listen to it this morning. I've never understood it - if you want to listen to music, why don't you listen to the music you want, rather than what someone else wants you to hear? I suppose it's because music has always been a massive part of my life and I've literally never gone anywhere without my own music playing device (Walkman, discman, mp3 player and now phone) - apart from gigs and clubs, obviously 😏
    I've heard that argument and it's the closest I've seen that makes sense. I've found that (like everybody else, I suppose) the music I listen to now is - largely - the music I listened to when I was 16-25, so bumping along on that, whilst discovering the odd new or previously unlistened to artist is fine for me. I can count the number of new bands I've liked in the past ten years in the fingers of one hand. 
    Company maybe?

It's weird but it's like watching something on tv in its broadcast slot rather than on catch up. 

Totally illogical but something to it.
  • Another shout for 6Music here although the playlist gets a bit repetitive so we usually have 2 on in the morning and 6 in the afternoon.

I do think there's a gap in the market for a new station that plays good, new music. Radio X and Absolute are still stuck in 2007.
     I know what you mean but "good" is subjective and there is so much music out there. Stations like you mentioned just play it safe to keep listener figures up, its a shame really.
  • I like listening to the radio because, as sad as it sounds, feels a bit like company and I enjoy having the music picked for me. Plus it's nice to listen to the same stuff as someone else....dream job would be a radio dj

What music do I like?
    No, what Radio Stations do you listen too, that isn’t full of waffle and bollox?
    Lol sorry I meant what music do u like (my fat fingers!)

What music do I like?
    Lol sorry I meant what music do u like (my fat fingers!)
    I’d like to think I’m open to most.
  • If you want to listen to a radio station without DJ's and ads then try internet radio stations. Sonos do a great selection, just pick the genre you want to listen too and away you go. There are plenty of choices out there, not just Sonos. 
  • 6 Music here, though it's starting to get a bit waffly of late and I have to put Absolute Radio or Absolute 90s (or 60s) on.

Stereo Underground on Saturday nights (ie right now) on the BBC local stations in the south east (not London) is very good.
  • Sponsored links:

• Planet Rock, didn't know there are other stations   :)
  • edited November 2020
    BBC Radio 3.  Listen without judgement and at different times of day you'll hear classics, modern composers, music from around the world, and a sense of having the time to actually listen to something you might not ever have heard of otherwise...
  • Anyone listen to the bbc sounds mixes? 
  • Good shout about Radio 3, a couple of people recommended it to me recently.

If you don’t want any talk then Spotify is the way to go as others have said.

I myself don’t have Spotify and love the radio, always have, especially the BBC output that is pretty wide-ranging.
    As a family we listen to 2 but working at home I listen to 6. It’s not perfect all the time and Mary Anne Hobbs in up her own arse but it’s the best out there for me, you learn things as well as the presenters love music.
  • Sounds like 6 is the one to try, thanks for all your input.

I do have Spotify and listen daily.
  • Quite like absolute indie disco when I'm cooking, guaranteed at least one banger. 6Music good as well for hearing new stuff
  • Have discovered an awful lot of new music from recommendations on YouTube. 
  • edited February 2021
    A new radio station [Boom] launches today featuring music from the 50's, 60's & 70's, the official launch is today at 10.00 am , dj's/presenters include Graham Dene, David Hamilton & Nicky Horne.
    https://www.boomradiouk.com/
  • another vote for Planet Rock, a good second is Absolute Radio, both on D A B