Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Giro d'Italia (2019 from page 5)

Comments

• It's a good point... But considering the possibilities for him, I reckon Brailsford will paint a picture to him of being the new Indurain, and he'll be all over it like a rash. No guarantee it will work, of course - I know from experience that losing weight while retaining power is tricky as hell, and imagine it's even harder when you're coming from the point of 520 watts for a TT 😳😳😳

He's an absolute monster though. Those individual pursuit times... Almost beyond belief that they're faster than TEAM pursuit times from within the last ten years... 
  • He'll have an awful day now and get dropped at Millotta.
  • colthe3rd said:
    That was impressive today. For those with more knowledge than me what are the thoughts on Ganna for the future? Do ineos seem him as a future leader? 
    Just caught up with this. Wow, what a ride. 
  • Sagan needs to stop embarrassing himself trying to beat Demare in the sprint. It ain't happening. 
  • Sagan needs to stop embarrassing himself trying to beat Demare in the sprint. It ain't happening. 
    Does seem to be the case nowadays 
  • Doesn't even look like he's trying anymore, more of a token gesture to the rest of the team to look as if he is.
  • Yates out, positive for covid. 
  • edited October 2020
    colthe3rd said:
    Yates out, positive for covid. 
    After he fell back so early on day 3, I was beginning to suspect he may have it.

Paris - Roubaix now cancelled. I can see the Vuelta not happening as well.
  • Addickted said:
    colthe3rd said:
    Yates out, positive for covid. 
    After he fell back so early on day 3, I was beginning to suspect he may have it.

Paris - Roubaix now cancelled. I can see the Vuelta not happening as well.
    Has to be doubtful. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Tell you what, if they get through the rest of the Giro with no other positive tests I'm going to be fucked off that we haven't been able to race this year. There's always been negligible science around transmission outdoors - two weeks of a stage race where the bunch are packed in like sardines when one of them has clearly been positive and shedding the virus for at least four days is as big a control test as you could want for bunch racing. 

Will be watching with interest over the next fortnight
  • Tell you what, if they get through the rest of the Giro with no other positive tests I'm going to be fucked off that we haven't been able to race this year. There's always been negligible science around transmission outdoors - two weeks of a stage race where the bunch are packed in like sardines when one of them has clearly been positive and shedding the virus for at least four days is as big a control test as you could want for bunch racing. 

Indeed, very good point which could have numerous implications. 
  • Great ride by Dowsett yesterday.
    Very humble interveiw after as well. 
    Very humble interveiw after as well. 
    Yes , sad he's still looking for a ride for next season.

We’ll the results are coming in. Two teams out with coronavirus plus a couple of riders. The Giro might not be able to continue if too many more have to withdraw.
  • What a ride from Sagan yesterday , just when many were saying he couldn't hack it anymore. You can never count him out , one of his best ever wins.
  • What a ride from Sagan yesterday , just when many were saying he couldn't hack it anymore. You can never count him out , one of his best ever wins.
    It was a great ride.
    Very impressive 
  • I was waiting for a bunny hop, superman & Hulk all in one celebration as he crossed the line however he was quite conservative.
  • Sponsored links:

• Forza Ulissi!
  • Fantastic ride by and debut win by Tao Geoghegan Hart on Sunday. Let's hope both he and the weather holds out for the upcoming climbs this week. He's looking stronger and stronger as the Giro progresses.

And of course the Vuelta starts tomorrow, with Froome's last change of a win for Ineos before he disappears to Israel Start Up. 
  • Great ride by Tao, he looked like he had another 50k in his legs. I think he will be okay in the mountains but the wetaher will play its part being October.
  • Just caught up with the last two days. 

Impressive stuff by Ineos; Ganna, Dennis and Geoghan-Hart ... one second from podium. 
  • Geoghean-Hart is quietly moving himself well into contention. There's a slight worry about him being able to deliver on multiple days in the high mountains, but he's got a decent enough team around him to keep him well up there whilst protecting him from attacks, and hasn't really looked like he's been in trouble at any point up to now. I expect Kelderman to win overall, but TGH has a good shot at second because Sunweb will have to sacrifice Hindley at some point, and Almeida has gone too deep too often the first two weeks so will probably slip away.
  • Geoghean-Hart is quietly moving himself well into contention. There's a slight worry about him being able to deliver on multiple days in the high mountains, but he's got a decent enough team around him to keep him well up there whilst protecting him from attacks, and hasn't really looked like he's been in trouble at any point up to now. I expect Kelderman to win overall, but TGH has a good shot at second because Sunweb will have to sacrifice Hindley at some point, and Almeida has gone too deep too often the first two weeks so will probably slip away.
    I think you are right about Kelderman, he’s my pick. 

TGH has looked strong in mountains before, so 2nd has to be a possibility. 

Be amazed if Almeida can keep it going. 

Did you see Alaphilippe’s crash at the weekend? Made me wince, terrible for him. 
  • edited October 2020
    stonemuse said:
    Geoghean-Hart is quietly moving himself well into contention. There's a slight worry about him being able to deliver on multiple days in the high mountains, but he's got a decent enough team around him to keep him well up there whilst protecting him from attacks, and hasn't really looked like he's been in trouble at any point up to now. I expect Kelderman to win overall, but TGH has a good shot at second because Sunweb will have to sacrifice Hindley at some point, and Almeida has gone too deep too often the first two weeks so will probably slip away.
    I think you are right about Kelderman, he’s my pick. 

TGH has looked strong in mountains before, so 2nd has to be a possibility. 

Be amazed if Almeida can keep it going. 

Did you see Alaphilippe’s crash at the weekend? Made me wince, terrible for him. 
    Awful. Similar thing happened to me with a bollard on a training ride in Spain earlier this year. Was on the back road from Benidorm to Altea - which is dead straight and flat as a pancake, we were doing a paceline at about 45k/h and as I came through to take my turn I hadn't paid attention to the fact there were bollards on the edge of the bike lane - hit the fucker at full chat and faceplanted. Very lucky not to do serious damage at that speed. I ended up with a a cracking wallop over my eyebrow which has given me a cool scar, holes in my legs and elbow and (worst of all) a frozen shoulder which I'm only just recovering from now. Just like him, I had nobody to blame but myself - never, ever get so confident that you aren't paying full attention. 

He's prone to these lapses of concentration. That deviation off his line in the sprint at LBL, the early celebration meaning Roglic beat him on the line, he almost fucked up on the celebration at Brabantse pijl as well. Its almost like he doesn't take it seriously enough. I guess it makes him more endearing as a rider - and you've got to love someone who livens up a race as much as he does - but he better sort that out over winter or he'll end up with half the palmares he deserves.

Brilliant ronde though, van der Poel and van Aert 2up to the finish with a win by quarter of a wheel was compelling 
  • Very impressed to see van der Poel hold him off. 

Ouch, your crash sounds bloody painful. 
  • stonemuse said:
    Very impressed to see van der Poel hold him off. 

I've had worse in races. Nearly died three years ago in France when a moody Swede cut across my line cresting the first climb of the fat lad world champs. Had my head run over crashing in a crit and broke my wrist, jaw and lost two front teeth in another one. At least when you crash on a push bike though it rarely kills you. Of I was stupid enough to translate the need for that adrenaline rush to moto GP I reckon I'd be dead with a month 😂
  • stonemuse said:
    Very impressed to see van der Poel hold him off. 

I've had worse in races. Nearly died three years ago in France when a moody Swede cut across my line cresting the first climb of the fat lad world champs. Had my head run over crashing in a crit and broke my wrist, jaw and lost two front teeth in another one. At least when you crash on a push bike though it rarely kills you. Of I was stupid enough to translate the need for that adrenaline rush to moto GP I reckon I'd be dead with a month 😂
    Glad I’m too old for it all 😉