Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Giro d'Italia (2019 from page 5)

Comments

• Options
    2021 Giro commences tomorrow.

Really looking forward to it.
  • Options
    Yes , reckon Simon Yates has unfinished business here , hoping anyway.
    Highlights are available on Quest freeview 12 from 7.00-8.00PM , last year with the GCN Crew, so probably the same this year , Dan Lloyd etc. Gonna be a good one.
  • Options
    Does anyone know why Tao isn't riding considering he won it last year?
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    EastStand said:
    Does anyone know why Tao isn't riding considering he won it last year?
    Seems he's focusing on the Tour

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/giro-ditalia/ineos-grenadiers-reveal-the-full-team-for-the-giro-ditalia-2021-498197
  • Options
    He's desperate to ride The Tour.  He got a bit annoyed last year when The Cycling Podcast didn't include him in the possible lineup for the delayed Tour.

With Inneos's quality squad it's unlikely any rider'll do the Giro/Tour double.  If you did it's more likely a rider like Tao would be saving his legs to be a mountain domestique in the third week.  You'd probably only do that if you'd had a crash or disappointment in the Giro.  Going to the Tour alone means they want him to hit the two ITTs at full speed.  Unless the heat gets him I'd expect him to finish above Carapaz.
  • Options
    Thanks guys, makes sense. 
  • Options
    Can't see past Yates. In great form, great team, big motivation and Ineos are taking Bernal, whose back is made out of lego. Would absolutely love to see Landa win it, but Yates deserves to be favourite. Intrigued to see how Hugh Carthy goes - if he has a decent first week, the second week will suit him, and would be amazing to see him on the podium like at the Vuelta.

Anyone but Nibali. 
  • Options
    Nothing too exciting so far although Ganna was untouchable in the TT.

Really looking forward to Saturday week on the Zoncolan.
  • Options
    cant stand the way the commentator says Ganna's name. I presume that is how you pronounce his name in Italian but it just grates on me. 
  • Options
    Sivakov out after his argument with that tree. Looked painful. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cant stand the way the commentator says Ganna's name. I presume that is how you pronounce his name in Italian but it just grates on me. 
    100%, this and "The Maglaaa Rosssaaaa" 

Just say it in English and stop trying to be an Italian.
  • Options

Yup, same here ... strange thing to be pissed off about but gets annoying
  • Options

Rob Hatch is fluent in Italian, French and Spanish. Why would he pronounce words any differently?
  • Options

Rob Hatch is fluent in Italian, French and Spanish. Why would he pronounce words any differently?
    And doesn't he like reminding the viewers of this in all three grand tours. Doesn't he live in Spain.

I actually quite like hearing the correct pronunciations - I tend to repeat them to myself so I can sound educated about the GTs.

Yesterdays very flat stage in the sunshine was stunning as they went through Bologna.
  • Options
    I like Rob Hatch as commentator, some of his ramblings can make a dull stage go a bit quicker.
  • Options
    It pisses me off something chronic when English-speaking cycling fans abuse Rob Hatch for pronouncing things correctly. It seems people forget that a language isn't just phonetically pronouncing the words as they would sound in English. Or did everyone just completely ignore that percentage of every single Modern Languages GCSE/O Level/A Level which is set aside for pronunciation?
  • Options
    It pisses me off something chronic when English-speaking cycling fans abuse Rob Hatch for pronouncing things correctly. It seems people forget that a language isn't just phonetically pronouncing the words as they would sound in English. Or did everyone just completely ignore that percentage of every single Modern Languages GCSE/O Level/A Level which is set aside for pronunciation?
    Strange thing is, I speak three other languages reasonably well and try to use an accent ... but for some reason, he annoys me ... no logic, but there you go. 
  • Options
    Funny isn’t it that when foreigners mispronounce English words many of us tend to be condescending to them.
  • Options
    Conditions making things very interesting.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    Conditions making things very interesting.
    Indeed ... and that’s a long descent 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Interesting chasing group at the moment 
  • Options
    I hope the driver of the Bike Exchange car is in serious trouble afterwards. WTF.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    colthe3rd said:
    I hope the driver of the Bike Exchange car is in serious trouble afterwards. WTF.
    That was a disgrace, definitely wasn’t  looking 
  • Options
    Bernal looking strong, and Evenepoel very much in contention ... that must have been a cold ride.  
  • Options
    Impressive from Evenepoel I guess the real question will be can he last for the duration.

Following on from Landa yesterday my other bet for GC Carthy didn't have a great day, anyone want some tips on who won't win a grand tour later this year just let me know.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    Impressive from Evenepoel I guess the real question will be can he last for the duration.

Following on from Landa yesterday my other bet for GC Carthy didn't have a great day, anyone want some tips on who won't win a grand tour later this year just let me know.
    Going to be very intriguing to watch 
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    Strange thing is, I speak three other languages reasonably well and try to use an accent ... but for some reason, he annoys me ... no logic, but there you go. 
    I am fully aware that Rob Hatch is fluent and if he was speaking in fluent Italian then fair play to him but he sounds like an English bloke on holiday trying to speak the local language.

But lets not get side tracked, we all have different opinions and it is the race that matters.   
  • Options
    Next Thursday stage finishing in Bagno di Romagna will be amazing viewing if weather good. It's a beautiful part of Italy. I know everybody loves the Zoncolan but from a logistics point of view (and I am with the race) it's a nightmare. I backed Ciccone (pre Nibs injury) at 150/1 hopefully he will be there are there abouts in last week. 
  • Options
    It might be the correct way of pronunciation but when he does it its like scratching on a black board. I have a feeling its because he is a commentator. Over does it a bit. It's bad enough with the likes of Robot wars Jonathan Pearce on Match of the day. 

I lived in Italy and their commentators are similar but actually a hell of alot worse. Curb your enthusiasm lads.  
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    Driver thrown off and fined -

Belgian Serry, 32, was furious after being struck from behind as the driver of the Bike Exchange car was passing an item through the window of an official race organiser's car.

The driver has since been excluded from the race and handed a fine of 2,000 Swiss Francs (£1,573).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/57086041