Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Giro d'Italia (2019 from page 5)

Comments

• Options
    colthe3rd said:
    I hope the driver of the Bike Exchange car is in serious trouble afterwards. WTF.
    Driver thrown off and fined -

Belgian Serry, 32, was furious after being struck from behind as the driver of the Bike Exchange car was passing an item through the window of an official race organiser's car.

The driver has since been excluded from the race and handed a fine of 2,000 Swiss Francs (£1,573).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/57086041

As it should be ... that could have been so much worse for Serry 
  • Options
    Yes absolutely , couldn't believe it when i watched it on the telly , hope Serry slapped him one after the race.
  • Options
    Lucky not to be Sierryously hurt.
  • Options
    Fantastic finish from Bernal. 
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    I hope the driver of the Bike Exchange car is in serious trouble afterwards. WTF.
    Driver thrown off and fined -

Belgian Serry, 32, was furious after being struck from behind as the driver of the Bike Exchange car was passing an item through the window of an official race organiser's car.

The driver has since been excluded from the race and handed a fine of 2,000 Swiss Francs (£1,573).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/57086041

Actually it was the passenger passing something to the official Rav4 - unless Bike Exchange are using right hand drive cars.
  • Options
    Couldn't believe the speed he went passed Bouwman and Bouchard.

Looks like the last two weeks could be a straight Bernal v 
    Evenepoel fight, though I still wouldn't rule out Yates at under a minute behind.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Looks like the last two weeks could be a straight Bernal v Evenepoel fight, though I still wouldn't rule out Yates at under a minute behind.
    Great ride 
  • Options

Tom Pidcock won his first elite World Cup mountain bike race, beating Dutch rider Mathieu van der Poel in the cross-country final in Nove Mesto, Croatia.

It is the first World Cup victory for a British man since 1994.

Pidcock, 21, dropped Van der Poel on lap three to win by exactly a minute.

• Options
    Addickted said:

Looks like the last two weeks could be a straight Bernal v Evenepoel fight, though I still wouldn't rule out Yates at under a minute behind.
    Or Carthy...
  • Options
    Yates learning to play the long game and not burn out in the third week. Again.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Addickted said:

Or Carthy...

• Options
    Addickted said:

Tom Pidcock won his first elite World Cup mountain bike race, beating Dutch rider Mathieu van der Poel in the cross-country final in Nove Mesto, Croatia.

It is the first World Cup victory for a British man since 1994.

Pidcock, 21, dropped Van der Poel on lap three to win by exactly a minute.

Great competition between the two of them so far this year ... and Pidcock is five years younger, same as Evenepoel. 
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Or Carthy...
    Yup, definitely would not write him out. 
  • Options
    Just caught up with yesterday, very emotional interview by Bernal ... and loved seeing Sagan win 
  • Options
    I'm sure there will be people moaning about the amount of gravel in a grand tour stage but this is great stuff today.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    I'm sure there will be people moaning about the amount of gravel in a grand tour stage but this is great stuff today.
    Enjoyed that ... and such a finish by Bernal to distance the GC
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    They're dropping like flies today.

Six abandoned so far including Dowsett, Soler and Di Marchi.
  • Options
    Soler? Shithouse - he looked good yesterday until Bernal left everyone for dead. Was it a crash?
  • Options
    Early crash but he carried on. Dropped about 8 minutes on the Peloton and medics gave him some ice for back pain. Lasted about another ten minutes then abandoned.

Seven abandoned now.
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Early crash but he carried on. Dropped about 8 minutes on the Peloton and medics gave him some ice for back pain. Lasted about another ten minutes then abandoned.

Seven abandoned now.
    Yup, seems to be his back. 

Di Marchi out with numerous injuries, hope he’s ok. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Israel Startup having bad time, Dowsett and Di Marchi and Neilands out ... whilst Dan Martin admitted he didn’t race properly yesterday because he wasn’t used to gravel and found it too dangerous 
  • Options
    What happened to Dowsett?
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    Stomach problems 
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    Thrupenny bits.
  • Options
    Wouldn't be a modern Giro without a dropped feed at a crucial moment.  Hope Carthy can haul in Caruso if possible but doesn't look likely after yesterday.
  • Options
    ColinTat said:
    Wouldn't be a modern Giro without a dropped feed at a crucial moment.  Hope Carthy can haul in Caruso if possible but doesn't look likely after yesterday.
    Ooh - I dunno about that. I'd never count Carthy out - the man personifies the word 'grinta'
  • Options
    ColinTat said:
    I reckon he will ... but he’s not gonna catch Bernal who deserves his lead. 
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    ColinTat said:
    I reckon he will ... but he’s not gonna catch Bernal who deserves his lead. 
    Yeah, no way he'll bring that gap back. He's a better TTer than Bernal, but not 4 minutes better. Has a chance of reeling Caruso in... But I suspect that will be beyond him too. Shoukd have enough to stay ahead of Vlasov and Yates though. 
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Doubt Carthy is a better ITT than Bernal.  Bernal's top 25 in the TDF and that was when he was 20-21:  Carthy got nowhere near that in his one TDF.  Pan flat stage 21 ITT, might be a little more suited to Carthy, but an ITT like the one in Pau in '19 I'd expect Bernal to wipe the floor with Carthy.  The way Bernal is riding and rode the Classics I'd expect him to beat Carthy in most styles of TTs.  There was only seconds between them in Turin.  Most on mixed terrain a fit Bernal would win.

Caruso knows how to ride GC, and more importantly ride defensively.  EF look stronger than Bahrain but not strong enough to shake Caruso.  If Carthy finishes 3rd in the Giro it's a huge achievement, if he finishes 2nd chapeau.  Second for me would be a better achievement than Tao last year.  The prestige is different but there's a huge gulf in power between Ganna/Dennis and Bettiol/Carr.
  • Options
    Hope Dan Martin can hold this.