Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Beatles, RIP

Comments

• Anyone saying the Beatles aren’t all that haven’t taken the time to pick up their discography, utterly timeless. That’s before you look into their solo stuff (which George had the most superior of imo). 
  • I'm certainly enjoying the amount of Beatles tunes getting played today, great band 👍
  • bobmunro said:
    Addickted said:
    Thought this was interesting. Sina's view on Ringo's drumming, also love the Avonlea version of Something.  Girl power at its best I'd have thought. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NCczct2ZIM
    When asked if Ringo was the best drummer in the World, didn't Lennon respond by saying he wasn't even the best drummer in The Beatles?
    I think he was misquoted, or it was even made up. I remember hearing recently that he definitely didn't say it.

Neither should he have said it.

Ringo was a pioneer and the unmistakable Beatles sound was in no small measure down to him.
    He was no John Bonham or Keith Moon. But then to me a drummer is just the bloke that sits at the back & keeps time........unless you are Phil Collins & then you ditch the drums & take centre stage 😁
  • Hard Days Night on BBC 4 now if anyone interested
  • Sponsored links:

• Get Back the Peter Jackson documentary to air in three two-hour episodes on Disney+ from November 25-27. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Auta2lagtw4

Can’t wait for this 
  • Diaried that, looks good.
  • Really looking forward to this - 

https://youtu.be/3S4PYfwuMQs
  • I gave the film 'Yesterday' the swerve until I found out it didn't actually feature the Beatles. I thought it was a great film and thoroughly enjoyed it, and recommended it to a friend under the same sort of advice 'don't worry, it features their music but it's not about the Beatles'. He liked it too. By way of contrast I was forced to sit through Mamma Mia which I thought was excruciating, dire film with a loathesome soundtrack.
    But as for the Beatles, I grow weary of people who grew up with them lecturing the rest of us about how great they were. If you take away Eleanor Rigby, there isn't a single Beatles track I would listen to out of choice, and my musical tastes cover a lot of guitar bands. I get that a lot of people love them, and fair play, but there's this 'if you don't like the Beatles, you have no musical taste' viewpoint which gets yelled by their fans, and it drives me to the opposite conclusion. If I want to listen to a Scouse pop group, give me OMD or A Flock of Seagulls any day of the week. Or Teardrop Explodes.  ;)
  • I've gone on a bit of a Beatles binge this year, mostly their later, trippier stuff.  

It's pretty crazy that teen heart-throbs soon went and made songs like Tomorrow Never Knows & Blue Jay Way, and Yellow Submarine must be one of the most druggy films ever.

Listening to albums flow you can hear a lot of what influences later music too, intro songs, outros, dips and peaks, songs merging into the next ones. Sgt Pepper still has one of the coolest riffs ever.

Not my favourite band ever but surely the best. The Stones obviously made great music but I don't think they did it in such quantity and quality.
  • JamesSeed said:
    seth plum said:
    John Lennon sang imagine no possessions.
    I don't think he meant that to apply to him.
    That’s a bit trite Sethy. I’m not sure he was massively acquisitive. And I’m not sure he meant it literally. You could argue about the lyrics to Imagine all day (and many do), but at least he had a stab at a ‘make the world a better place’ song, and we could do with a few of those today. Or even one of them. 
    I’m not a massive fan of the song btw, but I sort of miss the days when a rock band (or a solo act) could get on the front page of newspapers with a political message. What ever happened to youthful rebellion? In its absence the vacuum seems to have been filled by weirdo conspiracy theorists from the right.
    I recently read the book, '',Who killed John Lennon by Lesley-Ann Jones.  Although I initially thought the book was spoiled by her personal opinion, I did enjoy the read and thought it got better towards the end. 

There was a very enlightening chapter that revolved around John's last ever interview (with Andy Peebles).  Despite everything already being arranged, Peebles had to meet with Yoko in advance at the Dakota building where their sumptuous apartment was.  He was shown into Yoko's enormous office where she was seated behind an antique Egyptian desk.  Yoko who was opinionated and emphatic told Peebles that they'd had better offers from Radio Luxembourg and Capital radio among others - so why the BBC?  Peebles convinced that the BBC was their best option and she finally agreed to go ahead on the condition that 50% of the interview was to be about her.

Sorry for rambling on, but as I read those words I said to myself, 'so much for love, peace and no possessions'.

• I gave the film 'Yesterday' the swerve until I found out it didn't actually feature the Beatles. I thought it was a great film and thoroughly enjoyed it, and recommended it to a friend under the same sort of advice 'don't worry, it features their music but it's not about the Beatles'. He liked it too. By way of contrast I was forced to sit through Mamma Mia which I thought was excruciating, dire film with a loathesome soundtrack.
    But as for the Beatles, I grow weary of people who grew up with them lecturing the rest of us about how great they were. If you take away Eleanor Rigby, there isn't a single Beatles track I would listen to out of choice, and my musical tastes cover a lot of guitar bands. I get that a lot of people love them, and fair play, but there's this 'if you don't like the Beatles, you have no musical taste' viewpoint which gets yelled by their fans, and it drives me to the opposite conclusion. If I want to listen to a Scouse pop group, give me OMD or A Flock of Seagulls any day of the week. Or Teardrop Explodes.  ;)
    yesterday was a fantastic concept that was killed by the last 30 minutes of the film - no spoilers here, but it was unnecessary. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Get Back the Peter Jackson documentary to air in three two-hour episodes on Disney+ from November 25-27. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Auta2lagtw4

John Lennon says in that clip: 'All we've got is us'
    Now they are 'words of wisdom.'

If only we could all live by that mantra.

I think that The Beatles were a truly special collection of people whose formative years were spent in an era of togetherness, hope, 'outward-looking-ness' and excitement.

I'd love to hear Lennon speak-out today.
  • edited November 2021
    Lincsaddick said:
    thing with the Beatles is their 'legacy' .. not many other artists will be covering many Stones, Led Zep or Pink Floyd tunes/songs .. look at how many cover versions there are of Lennon/McCartney classics .. their 'legacy' admittedly is diminishing with the passing of the years, however they are THE greatest English band EVER i m o ..not rock, pop or any other label or pigeon hole just superb performers and song writers across many genres
    Indeed - Lennon and McCartney wrote The Rolling Stones' first top 20 chart hit and helped to break them with 'I Wanna Be Your Man'. 
  • RedPanda said:
    I've gone on a bit of a Beatles binge this year, mostly their later, trippier stuff.  

It's pretty crazy that teen heart-throbs soon went and made songs like Tomorrow Never Knows & Blue Jay Way, and Yellow Submarine must be one of the most druggy films ever.

Listening to albums flow you can hear a lot of what influences later music too, intro songs, outros, dips and peaks, songs merging into the next ones. Sgt Pepper still has one of the coolest riffs ever.

Not my favourite band ever but surely the best. The Stones obviously made great music but I don't think they did it in such quantity and quality.
    What counts against the Stones for me is that they so derivative and American sounding. Satisfaction was a 100% classic single though, one of the greatest. 
  • It looks beautiful, really polished.
  • Lincsaddick said:
    thing with the Beatles is their 'legacy' .. not many other artists will be covering many Stones, Led Zep or Pink Floyd tunes/songs .. look at how many cover versions there are of Lennon/McCartney classics .. their 'legacy' admittedly is diminishing with the passing of the years, however they are THE greatest English band EVER i m o ..not rock, pop or any other label or pigeon hole just superb performers and song writers across many genres
    Indeed - Lennon and McCartney wrote The Rolling Stones first top 20 chart hit and help to break them with 'I Wanna Be Your Man'. 
    I'd forgotten that 
  • Lincsaddick said:
    Indeed - Lennon and McCartney wrote The Rolling Stones first top 20 chart hit and help to break them with 'I Wanna Be Your Man'. 
    I'd forgotten that 
    Same here.
  • edited November 2021
    Don't really listen to much Beatles by choice - certainly not Beatles originals. But I'll play their music, or listen to interpretations/covers in various genres, and all that sort of thing - because they were revered and so, so diverse. (Not to say I don't love some of their music, mind.)

One thing I always find myself coming back to - and it might well have been a comment years ago on this forum, actually - is imagine yourself being a 14 year old listening to Revolver in 1966. You will not have heard anything like it. Surely it'd be a bit mindblowing?

Like, their music is just so innovative. And they did it all in eight years! Phenomenal.
  • edited November 2021
    I got into The Beatles in my early teens when the "new romantics" and ska were at their height. Parents had the "Blue" album (xmas present from a relly but they never really listened to it) and so I completed the "set" by buying the Red one. At that time I was more into the early stuff & it wasn't until I started work & had enough money to start buying the rest of their albums that I discovered Sgt Pepper, Revolver & my all time favourite Abbey Road. I can never rate bands in order of favourites as things change depending on my mood, but The Beatles are in my top 5 along with Led Zep*, The Stones, Pink Floyd and The Doors. So many good songs & looking forward to watching Get Back just to see the craftsmen at work. 

*  Was going to start a thread about how this month is the 50th anniversary of the release of Led Zep 4. One of THE best albums ever recorded......and dare I say that Stairway is not the best track on there, not even 3rd best !!