Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Giro d'Italia (2019 from page 5)

Comments

• Looking forward to this one.
  • Yep. Proper team that. If Thomas is in a better place form-wise he's got a good chance. Only issue for me is that the Giro climbs are more brutal on general than the Tour, so Ganna and Dennis won't be as useful after the lead-in as they would be in the tour (weight makes a much bigger difference in Italy) 
  • Have a feeling Yates will get it this time.

He’s got a real bee in his bonnet about the Giro, and openly admits it’s his favourite. 
  • @Leroy Ambrose @ColinTat what about James Knox, outsider for a podium finish?
  • stonemuse said:
    @Leroy Ambrose @ColinTat what about James Knox, outsider for a podium finish?
    Not for me, at least not yet. Not enough of a team around him, and still a question about whether he'll actually be their GC rider or Almeida. Hedging of bets never works for the GC - you need a full on commitment behind one rider (unless you've got the luxury of 2 or 3 genuine contenders like Ineos or JV at the tour). Expect him to go well though... and eventually end up at Ineos as another domestique  :#
  • stonemuse said:
    Strong Ineos team

THOMAS Geraint
    CASTROVIEJO Jonathan
    DENNIS Rohan
    GANNA Filippo
    GEOGHEGAN HART Tao
    NARVÁEZ Jhonatan
    PUCCIO Salvatore
    SWIFT Ben

The TTT will be a massacre.
  • I was driving down Mount Etna on Monday, saw a couple of Bora riders having a recce ride up it. 
  • colthe3rd said:
    I was driving down Mount Etna on Monday, saw a couple of Bora riders having a recce ride up it. 
    Etna stage 3 will be interesting as Yates will have good memories of it. 
  • edited October 2020
    James Knox was great to watch last year at the Vuelta.  I think the downhill TT might be a struggle for him:  His uphill TT in Bologna was very good for a first Grand Tour TT.  Didn't see enough of Tirenno Adriatico, but just feel he's not quite there in the second group of top climbers to hang on in a better peloton.  If he makes top 20 it'll be a great result, and they'll be a few days he'll be fun to watch.

Strange to say it but bit of a make or break year on whether Tao Geoghegan Hart becomes a super-domestique or allowed to be a backup leader.

I think Thomas has to be in front of Yates as it looks like a traditional Tour with 3 time trials, and lots of punchy stages.  Hard to see Mitchelton Scott protect Yates on the late mountain stages:  The big climbs are all in the middle and then the stage finishes off with smaller ascents.
  • Love that stage 20 is the queen stage ... and it’s a good one too 
  • Sponsored links:

• As always I was well behind on the tour so didn't bother posting. 

Not sure what others thought but I felt roglic made an error not attacking. Thought his team jumbo were too busy trying to control things rather than taking it to the others. I'm sure pogacar would of still managed it but I think they got it wrong by not being offensive enough. 

Anyway, looking forward to the giro. good to see Nibali is still challenging. Looks fairly open with the two Brits being most bookies favourites. 
  • edited October 2020
    Not sure Roglic really could attack.  Kuss or Bennett didn't look like they had the legs to get away.  If they'd have put a rider up the road, Pogacar was still the strongest climber.  Only when it went above 2,000m  did Pogacar lose some time.  Brilliant Tour, but it's only weakness in the parcours was not enough high mountains 2,000m:  They all alluded it to being an Alaphilippe parcours, so no chance they were in.

Excited to see a downhill TT in an hour or so.  Can't remember the last downhill one in a Grand Tour?  Cancellara was probably my most favourite rider to watch going downhill.  The cycling podcast said Ganna's form on a TT bike is other worldly like Cancellara's.  So if he downhills like that, I hope the TV director follows him the whole way.

• He doesn't descend like Cancellara!
  • edited October 2020
    Ganna really is an absolute tank. 60x11, and after the initial ramp to start I don't think he was out of that gear the whole way. Monstrous. 
  • Well that was a crap day for UK 
  • colthe3rd said:
    Looked like a Bahrain McLaren bidon. WTF are riders doing throwing them away like that at speed in the neutralised zone?

Surprised he continued, let alone only losing 12 minutes.

And who'd have thought the watching Italians reaction would have been "Mamma Mia"
  • Addickted said:
    colthe3rd said:
    Looked like a Bahrain McLaren bidon. WTF are riders doing throwing them away like that at speed in the neutralised zone?

Totally ridiculous, and I know it happens all the time and I admit I am pissed off because it is G, but this cannot be acceptable. 
  • Gents - those bidons weren't thrown away - they were bounced loose by the cobbled section and the bump just before the crash. Happens regularly in races - twice last year I had a bidon go bouncing through the gap between me and the rider next to me after someone in from hit a pothole. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Gents - those bidons weren't thrown away - they were bounced loose by the cobbled section and the bump just before the crash. Happens regularly in races - twice last year I had a bidon go bouncing through the gap between me and the rider next to me after someone in from hit a pothole. 
    That’s a fair point ... guess I am just looking for someone to blame. I felt he had a great chance this year. 
  • Thomas now out of the Giro
  • Fractured pelvis, won't be ready for the Vuelta.  Like the cycling podcast said why were they so fast in the neutralised area?  More to the point why wasn't the commisar's car going slower.
  • Carried on cycling with a fractured pelvis. Cyclists, man. 
  • Vincenzo said:
    Carried on cycling with a fractured pelvis. Cyclists, man. 
    Second time as well. Fractures pelvis in 2013 and completed the bloody tour 😳

Different breed
  • Vincenzo said:
    Carried on cycling with a fractured pelvis. Cyclists, man. 
    Second time as well. Fractures pelvis in 2013 and completed the bloody tour 😳

Different breed
    Madness! On my cycle today when I tried to ride at FTP for 30 minutes, I just felt like I was going to sick up my subway, so gave up after 5 minutes. 
  • Subway's not even bread, it's all the shit that pro-cyclists scoop out and throw away!   ;) 

No subway, mo ftp.
  • edited October 2020
    Oh well Ganna trucks up a mountain, and inadvertently creates a new cycling seer @Leroy Ambrose 
  • That was impressive today. For those with more knowledge than me what are the thoughts on Ganna for the future? Do ineos seem him as a future leader? 
  • colthe3rd said:
    That was impressive today. For those with more knowledge than me what are the thoughts on Ganna for the future? Do ineos seem him as a future leader? 
    Totally. Brailsford is wetting himself at the thought of turning him into the next Froome