Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Giro d'Italia (2019 from page 5)

Comments

• WTF... How the hell is Froome in the lead!!!
  • Absolute stunning. Froome one of the greatest ever

• If you miss highlights on tv is it possible to catch later?

Should be on Quest (Freeview Channel) @ 7pm I think

Yeah but won’t get home in time
    Any catch up (tv or online)

Yeah but won’t get home in time
    Any catch up (tv or online)
    You can watch the quest highlights online, even though their 'highlights' have mostly just been the last 10-20km of the stage which is fine for one summit finish but for something like todays stage I hope they broaden it out.

I personally use http://tiz-cycling.racing/ for either live streams or highlights, its a great site. Just might take a day or two to upload the videos but usually its worth the wait.
  • This ride from Chris is stunning...
  • This ride from Chris is stunning...

It’s one of those rare rides that very few cyclists can ever achieve.

Career-defining and wonderful to watch it being done by a Brit.

Just brilliant.
  • How does he do it....
  • Sponsored links:

• MrOneLung said:

How does he do it....

Ask Kimmage. He'll have an opinion.
  • Just fantastic. Massive gamble 80km out and did it all on his own.

Brilliant teamwork from Sky, but my God, Froomey is a machine. One of the best Grand Tour days I've ever seen.

Got to feel sorry for Yates, but he was always going to struggle in the third week. But to be beaten by 38 minutes just goes to show what an achievement Froome's ride was.

Roll on tomorrow, won't be easy but could it really be the first of all three Grand Tour wins for Froome?
  • Addickted said:

Just fantastic. Massive gamble 80km out and did it all on his own.

Brilliant teamwork from Sky, but my God, Froomey is a machine. One of the best Grand Tour days I've ever seen.

Got to feel sorry for Yates, but he was always going to struggle in the third week. But to be beaten by 38 minutes just goes to show what an achievement Froome's ride was.

Roll on tomorrow, won't be easy but could it really be the first of all three Grand Tour wins for Froome?

Definitely one of the best Grand Tour days I have ever seen.

Can’t wait for tomorrow, will be fascinating.
  • iainment said:

MrOneLung said:

How does he do it....

Kimmage has got a lot of opinions. Not many on Kelly and Roche though, funnily enough...

Absolutely amazing ride by Froome. Interesting to see that even with his solo attack, it was still the slowest ascent of the Finestre there's ever been. Shows how much cleaner the sport is now. Best sight was him putting 40 seconds into the rest in the descent off the Finestre. Absolutely brilliant descender - not quite up there with Nibali, but definitely one of the best. Massive set of bollocks on those corners, especially on a shit surface, with standing water on them

Feel sorry for Yates, clearly put too much into the TT and showed cracks yesterday
  • FROM BBC

Prior to the start of the race, Yates wrote a stage-by-stage guide for BBC Sport, detailing how he expected each day to pan out.

He predicted day 19 would be the hardest, adding "if you have good legs" it could make the "difference". How right he was.

"This is the hardest day of the race - the Queen stage - and I expect it to be won by a general classification rider, although you could see big gaps between them," Yates said.

"There's a lot of GC players starting the Giro who need to be aggressive and if you have good legs you can really make a difference on a day like today.

"The break might go to collect King of the Mountain points but I predict it will most likely come back together on the final ascent."

And who did he predict would win the stage? Chris Froome.

• iainment said:

MrOneLung said:

How does he do it....

Kimmage has got a lot of opinions. Not many on Kelly and Roche though, funnily enough...

Absolutely amazing ride by Froome. Interesting to see that even with his solo attack, it was still the slowest ascent of the Finestre there's ever been. Shows how much cleaner the sport is now. Best sight was him putting 40 seconds into the rest in the descent off the Finestre. Absolutely brilliant descender - not quite up there with Nibali, but definitely one of the best. Massive set of bollocks on those corners, especially on a shit surface, with standing water on them

Feel sorry for Yates, clearly put too much into the TT and showed cracks yesterday
    Really interesting. Thanks for the info.
  • iainment said:

MrOneLung said:

How does he do it....

Agree, I also think it was the TT that did for him.
  • fucking Sky. great ride by Froome who is just on another level compared to any other rider in the world but I was hoping Yates had enough in him. still, maybe give it a year.

well done Froome. one of the best riders ever.
  • Sponsored links:

• This is getting damned interesting!!!
  • Dumolin done?
  • Wonderful, well done Chris, one to remember
  • Looks like the record is going to Froome unless something major happens in Rome - Great effort from Dumolin to get back into that Group at the end, be a great TdF if he's there to challenge with everyone else in July
  • Only the 7th cyclist to win all three, and only the third after Merckx and Hinault to win them consecutively.

Incredible
  • I take it no one has ever won all three in the same year? - Cant see Froome not attempting to defend his TdF or Vuelta titles
  • I take it no one has ever won all three in the same year? - Cant see Froome not attempting to defend his TdF or Vuelta titles

Nope, never in the same year.
  • There's no way he'll do the Vuelta again. It isn't physically possible to do three grand tours with a hope of winning them within four months
  • If he wins this and the tour, he will try wouldn't he?
  • Can't see it. He and Sky know that it's impossible - all that can happen is that he might get injured or beat himself up too much trying. His entire season is planned 18 months in advance, with more than an eye on continuity into the following year. Deviating from that plan has too much potential to impact on the next season