Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

US Open golf 2020

I can't wait. New York has had a dry summer so it should be firm, fast and nasty. I really hope they don't soften it for the weekend. This is a good video to show off how crazy the greens are:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qfx86KMkBy0

I bet a little on Schauffele, Simpson, Berger, then Reed each way. Geoff Ogilvy (check out The Fried Egg pod with him) said he won here with the best chipping week of his life, so I had a look at the tour's scrambling stats before picking. It's a big shame that Koepka can't play. 

Comments

• Why can’t koepka play ?
  • Why can’t koepka play ?
    Injury.
  • Looking forward to it, should be a real test. I've done Schauffele to win and Simpson, Oosthuizen & Chez Reavie ew. Winged Foot is a brute of a course, anyone who shoots par or better is a very likely winner.
  • Love reading Ben Coley’s stuff in the lead up to golf majors...

https://www.sportinglife.com/golf/news/us-open-player-by-player-guide/184175
  • I’m looking forward to it. Don’t expect many players to finish under par. I will be surprised if many do
  • Hideki, Reed, English, Sungjae, Reavie and Harman all small e/w... :-)
  • edited September 2020
    Gone for Rahm, Dechambau and Cantlay, all e/w... Skybet paying 11 places
  • Favours the draw.
    Patrick Reed at 40/1 is massive value. 

Xander Shchauffler                         16/1

Patrick Reed                                       40/1

Jason Day                                            35/1

Tommy Fleetwood                          35/1

Tyrell Hatton                                      45/1

Justin Rose                                         55/1

Paul Casey                                          55/1

Chez Reavie                                       150/1

Hughes                                                 150/1

Kevin Streelman                               250/1

Grayson Sigg                                      1000/1

Dan McCarthy                                   1000/1

Reed is who I favour most.   I have some slight concerns re Tommy as he usually has one bad round and hasn’t won in the US.   Rose is interesting as he’s coming  back into form and was 12th strokes gained tee to green at the Northern Trust and they are due to set the course up where something like EVENS may well win.   Of the mid 3 figures, my favourite is Chez Reavie who I backed last week and had an excellent last round to place.

• Dechambeau, Finau and Rose to win.
  • Sponsored links:

• The last it was played here 5 over par won it and the course has now been lengthened .
  • Sky bet offering 11 places. 
  • Been easier than expected on day one... Justin Thomas at the top of the leaderboard at five under par. 31 golfers currently sitting at even par or better.
  • Two hole in ones today too
  • As if Michelson couldn't get any more annoying he's now taken to chewing large amounts of gum for his entire round. His chops are permanently on the go.
  • As if Michelson couldn't get any more annoying he's now taken to chewing large amounts of gum for his entire round. His chops are permanently on the go.
    Hate his sunglasses too.

Then again I don't have any respect for Phil anymore. Not after he didnt DQ himself the other year in the US Open. Running after the ball & hitting it before it stopped. That's what 6 year old kids do on the crazy golf. Not professional players. Play to the rules or walk off. 
    FIGJAM will always be FIGJAM
  • Winged Foot really showing its teeth now. Wouldn't be surprised if Dechambeau at 3 under is leading at the end of the day.
  • edited September 2020
    Only six players left under par now: Thomas, Reed, DeChambeau, English, Todd and Cabrera Bello. 

Only DeChambeau (-3) and Cabrera Bello (-2) have completed their rounds. Only two golfers have completed under par rounds today: DeChambeau (68) and Watson (69).
  • Keep the ball on the fairway & on the greens & you wont go too far wrong. Too many players playing their 2nd shots from the rough......and it's not as if the fairways are that narrow.
  • Sponsored links:

• supaclive said:
    Favours the draw.
    Patrick Reed at 40/1 is massive value. 

Xander Shchauffler                         16/1

Patrick Reed                                       40/1

Jason Day                                            35/1

Tommy Fleetwood                          35/1

Tyrell Hatton                                      45/1

Justin Rose                                         55/1

Paul Casey                                          55/1

Chez Reavie                                       150/1

Hughes                                                 150/1

Kevin Streelman                               250/1

Grayson Sigg                                      1000/1

Dan McCarthy                                   1000/1

Reed is who I favour most.   I have some slight concerns re Tommy as he usually has one bad round and hasn’t won in the US.   Rose is interesting as he’s coming  back into form and was 12th strokes gained tee to green at the Northern Trust and they are due to set the course up where something like EVENS may well win.   Of the mid 3 figures, my favourite is Chez Reavie who I backed last week and had an excellent last round to place.

Ahem.
  • edited September 2020
    Ahem ahem... got Reed, English and Matsuyama all sitting in the top 10 and feeling good about it. Hoping at least one of them is in the mix on Sunday. :-)

- Reed not making many fairways (5/14 on each day) at all which you would think kills his chances but he’s putting on a masterclass around the greens and has the overnight lead at four under par.
    - English (T3) going about his business very nicely under the radar and Matsuyama (T7) with one of only three under par rounds on Friday is hopefully a good sign for the next two days.
  • No problem with the rough, but the greens are to severe imo.
  • No problem with the rough, but the greens are to severe imo.
    I think there should be a bit more semi rough before the deep stuff. Maybe 4 or 5 feet. 
  • That's a good shout, maybe three grades which seems fair to me, so when you're really off line you can suffer. 
  • Love these courses when the winner is over par..too many players want pitch and putt courses and go round in -20 under par...been some amazing shots this week in and about the greens....how it should be...
  • Wolff rallying out of the chasing pack. Now sharing the lead with Reed at five under par. Matsuyama, Schauffele and DeChambeau at two under. Oosthuizen the only other golfer under par.
  • edited September 2020

Edit: make that 2/14 and -5. Even if tomorrow doesn't go to plan for him, it'll put him in great stead for next time he's in major contention (probably soon). 
  • Looks like wolffs to lose....good to see Reed imploding but no doubt he will win it now...